• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Types and Guitar Learning Styles: My Observations

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
good post. i like how you didn't say "because they are an XY they do this". you just pointed out general behaviors and the students that tend to embody them. thank you for the intelligent and insightful post :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hey, SW-- Do you have any good tips for ear training? I think I need to strengthen my ear some more, to be able to replicate what I hear, both in guitar and voice.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hey, SW-- Do you have any good tips for ear training? I think I need to strengthen my ear some more

earweight.jpg

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
<- INTP and self taught (at first) - Only later did I learn stuff from other guitarists and tutors and such, but at the start, when I got into guitar, it was just like 'me meeting the guitar' and playing it on my terms...

Before that, I was 12/13 when THAT^ happened, before that, when I was like 9, 10, around then, people did try and teach me chords, and, fore that, I thought that single notes were all chords and listening to Slash solos... Young Me thought that guitar was the hardest sh*t/thing in the world... I was taught my notes on the piano when I was like 5 or 6, maybe even 4!
So I used to play the piano a lot.

This is me, now.

I'm 25, right now, my last YouTube video was recorded in March 2012.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Tp3nxNqHs"]Double Talkin' Jive Backing Track + Myself[/YOUTUBE]

I redesign old/broken electric guitars and have them rebuilt to how I want it.
I have 15 guitars. Ish'

This is my most favourite of all guitars :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_MBtdBpc54"]Welcome to the Jungle Backing Track + Myself[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvYHwpNmdQ&feature=relmfu"]N.E.R.D - Lapdance + Myself[/YOUTUBE]

I called those videos testing my gear because, I was, I just got my 1996 Red Sparkle Top Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard from my guitar guy's workshop after he installed a set of Seymour Duncan APH-1s... I just got in, was so excited (had been practising all day), I strapped on my guitar and started recording.

Space Socks

MBTI Type
ISFJ
How insightful! I've recently picked up the guitar again and I enjoy learning and refining what I need to know, but occasionally I just like to make stuff up and that's how I originally started.

I am very much by the books, but I see all that as training for something more creative.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Usually I hesitate to generalize by type, but this post actually makes a fantastic point that I have in fact observed through years of interacting with different kids in the fine arts.

As for myself, I think I had the definite NT approach to learning. I wasn't the best singer in the world before because I wasn't good at going by feel. I couldn't just blow everyone away at karaoke night. However, I went in for theory and lessons and discovered that I had quite the set of lungs on me. It helped tremendously, finding out all the little intricacies behind singing and the technical work that goes into it. It made everything that much more clear and far more enjoyable.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your guitar playing sounds a whole lot better when you're playing with emotion... I'm like a sloth who, likes to dream, but even I've played whilst crying before, and it was during that whole playing and crying thing, that I learned 'the hard way' you sound better when playing with emotions. I wasn't crying because of the guitar or anything, I was crying because this girl broke my heart, I was playing guitar anyway... I was crying and playing guitar, I did notice my playig was different, more emotional then, but; I was in tears, so that sucked.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
How interesting! I've tried to learn the guitar several times now. And as I am with learning anything, I get extremely frustrated if I don't understand the entire system at once. I could never learn guitar just by being taught a song and then another song. I would have to be able to perfectly understand the theory behind it, then it would click, and I would enjoy playing. The problem comes in when I don't understand perfectly the theory, (and that is a black and white issue for me), the result being that I am frustrated and do not enjoy playing.

I am still trying to type myself, but I'd say I'm definitely NT/NF, so I guess this fits.