• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Knowing of geography

MBTI Type
INTJ
I actually think America is getting a bit of a raw deal in the thread, but I couldn't resist posting this. It's pretty funny.

america-sees-world.jpg

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I will not going to lie/hide to anyone that there is a stereotype of a dumb American in Europe.

But what strikes me that by default when someone wants to prove that this stereotype is true they take Geography as a testing ground.

What I am asking here: Do people in the US trully and totally suck in geography or this simply is not the truth ? Or is it around 50:50?

We have no problem with geography - however, Geography becomes a pain in the ass when your frikking boarders change every five godam years! The geography of Europe over the last 100+ years is a NIGHTMARE of politcs/warfare/migration mixed into that geography we're supposed to keep up on. Same shit with Russia/eastern europe after the fall of the soviets....

What incentive do we have to learn fucked up European geography that's going to change again in five years? Maybe for a businessman or entrepeneuer it's useful, but for everyday Americans it'd be like remembering what lottery numbers were the winners from last year....

You don't see Americans screwing up "where is china?", that's for sure. Yanno why? Cuz the boarders of China haven't changed in like 238905248975 years :p

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Psh, it's only how many countries you can name (and I think I remember whatever will all kick our asses on that front). Doesn't really demonstrate geography knowledge (where the countries are, geographical features, etc).

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We have no problem with geography - however, Geography becomes a pain in the ass when your frikking boarders change every five godam years! The geography of Europe over the last 100+ years is a NIGHTMARE of politcs/warfare/migration mixed into that geography we're supposed to keep up on. Same shit with Russia/eastern europe after the fall of the soviets....
That's the fun part! Historical geography is great.

And that joke map is great, too.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
England and Wales are legally one jurisdiction. Scotland and Northern Ireland are distinct, but England and Wales are joined. So my country of birth is, technically "England and Wales"

(I'm not saying it's right, it just is)

I can assure you there's no such country as England And Wales! On the map you will see they are quite separate:

wales.jpg

Flag of Wales:
welsh_flag.png

Flag of England:

english.flag.gif

Since you're bringing sport into it:

There is an effective Welsh national cricket team anyway; they call themselves Glamorgan but play not just in that county but all over the country (Wales, that is, not the United Kingdom of Wales and England;)). The reason that Welsh Cricketers play in the England team is that it is the only chance they will have to play at the highest international level. Ditto Irish and Scottish players who are good enough. This argument is like saying that because an Irishman like Ed Joyce played for England, the Irish republic does not exist :doh:

There is also, more to the point, a Welsh national Football team, Rugby team, and probably quite a lot of other teams, and Wales competes separately to England in the Commonwealth Games.

There's some truth in it, but it's not a unique American problem. I know plenty of people here in the UK who couldn't tell you which coast California, or Florida are on.

Hmm... Some of them have problems closer to home too :devil:

:)
It sounds a bit like trying to explain the distinction to certain English people between Wales, Britain and England. I invoke St Jude for support and guidance every time I have to embark on this one. They never seem to end up much the wiser :whistling:

Fixed :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I can assure you there's no such country as England And Wales! On the map you will see they are quite separate:

wales.jpg

Flag of Wales:
welsh_flag.png

Flag of England:

english.flag.gif

Since you're bringing sport into it:

There is an effective Welsh national cricket team anyway; they call themselves Glamorgan but play not just in that county but all over the country (Wales, that is, not the United Kingdom of Wales and England;)). The reason that Welsh Cricketers play in the England team is that it is the only chance they will have to play at the highest international level. Ditto Irish and Scottish players who are good enough. This argument is like saying that because an Irishman like Ed Joyce played for England, the Irish republic does not exist :doh:

There is also, more to the point, a Welsh national Football team, Rugby team, and probably quite a lot of other teams, and Wales competes separately to England in the Commonwealth Games.

Hmm... Some of them have problems closer to home too :devil:

Fixed :)

I love Wales, and it has its own identity. I like Scotland too, for that matter. I also said it wasn't "right" that England and Wales were one legal jurisdiction.. I was actually pointing out how odd it is that I was born in "England and Wales".

By the way, I don't think you are right about Cricket.. I'm pretty sure it is the England and Wales team, and that it is different with Ed Joyce (he had to qualify like Pietersen, or a scot would). Welsh and English both qualify automatically. That's why I gave the example (as opposed to other sports where they are separate). it's a weird and historic mess.

Under international law England and Wales are recognised as one country. Weird, eh. (wikipedia is quite interesting for a summary on "England and Wales")

I think it should be changed, if that is what the people want (the Union is kinda outdated).

So, apologies if my explaining the legal position came across as English supremacy, I was just explaining the facts as I understand them.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, apologies if my explaining the legal position came across as English supremacy, I was just explaining the facts as I understand them.
Nope, just common or garden English arrogance. ;)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Nope, just common or garden English arrogance. ;)

Well, then, you both have my unreserved apology. I think it's odd that I am English and Welsh, when I should be just English.. just as Rag would rather be just Welsh!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
<--- went to the state geography bee 4 times in a row as a child and was a finalist

Some Americans suck at geography majorly (like some I know who think that Chicago is in Michigan because it's north of Indy!), some are ok at it and others are quite good. Same as any other country. The problem is that we keep attacking countries that the sucky and ok people aren't sure of the location of and it ends up in the news! :rolleyes:

I've met people from other countries who got Russia and Canada mixed up on a globe, so I'm pretty sure that idiocy knows no borders.

Plus- Falc has a point. It's a lot easier for Europeans to go to other countries and such than for most Americans- the US is HUGE and as far as geographical features and such go we don't really have to leave the country to see a good variety! :)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm quite good at geography...I know all of the countries and most capitals, not including central africa, and parts of eastern europe. Those are a bit too confusing/changing for me.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
On that Welsh flag, does that dragon have a penis coming out of its mouth?

I used to know geography better than I do now. Most of Asia, Africa, and South America hasn't changed much, but Europe...bleh. Since the USSR has broken up, I haven't bothered to learn all the new borders.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
You don't see Americans screwing up "where is china?", that's for sure. Yanno why? Cuz the boarders of China haven't changed in like 238905248975 years :p

um, if you're being serious, you need to re-check your sources...

I've found that being an American with an extensive knowledge of geography is very frustrating and embarrassing. I actually knew Kazakhstan before Borat. :dry:

That's nothing, did you also know the interesting demographic and environmental history of Kazakhstan?

Heh, I can name any country one wishes to point to (I have slightly more difficulty with capitals, especially the one in Burkina Faso), except in Polynesia, Micronesia, and the Lesser Antilles. Its also a fairly useless skill as far as employment opportunities are concerned, so the major reason many Americans don't know geography is the same as the major reason we usually don't speak more than one language; its a pain in the ass (if one is not interested in it for its own sake), and we don't have to.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ but the capitol of Burkina Faso is so fun to SAY!

Ouagadougou

(admittedly, I took the history of Africa)

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
On that Welsh flag, does that dragon have a penis coming out of its mouth?

That's an interesting question. I think you may be able to resolve it yourself, however, with recourse to a little prior knowledge.

Are dragons known for exhaling:

1) Penises?
or
2) Fire?

Tricky one, I know. But I think you should be able to get there eventually :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Sometimes penises can feel like they're on fire. Maybe the Welsh flag is a social commentary.