• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Politics career

pholiveira

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm thinking of pursuing a career in politics, yes. I'm already getting membership at a party, and plan to develop my standing within it, seeking candidacy to the State Legislature of São Paulo when I'm 29. From there on, I don't know, but it opens up pathways.

If not involved in politics as an officeholder, my planned major in International Relations will be useful, I'll try to join the governmental institute of diplomacy to work on the Ministry of Foreign Relations.

Anyone here with such a desire? Advice? What do you think of such a career?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm actually curious as to why you would like to join the political scene. What are your motivations?

And to answer your question, while I would love to see myself in a position of power, "getting there" is not something I would be able to do. I don't see myself ever being voted in to anything, because I am generally intolerant contrary viewpoints if they don't have any merit.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
When I was younger I wanted to be a politician. As times passed I realized that I'd be very hard pressed to align myself with a political party (which is pretty much a requirement) due to my "maverick" personality. Also I think it's almost impossible to get to a position where you can actually change something and still stay "pure".

pholiveira

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm actually curious as to why you would like to join the political scene. What are your motivations?
Apart from the obvious reasons of prestige/money/wanting to do something for society, I view it sincerely as a way of promoting ideas for progress and development. I view myself as a skilled public speaker, negotiator and diplomat, and it would be a fitting way of putting these abilities to work while developing them. I'm a sucker for recognition too, I must add. Getting into politics would give me a chance of at least diffusing my ideas in a practical sense, not only with rhetoric and ideological speech. Plus, the theory of political science, aspects of law, economics and administration have my interest, but I would never pursue a career in these areas, personally.

When I was younger I wanted to be a politician. As times passed I realized that I'd be very hard pressed to align myself with a political party (which is pretty much a requirement) due to my "maverick" personality. Also I think it's almost impossible to get to a position where you can actually change something and still stay "pure".
The party affiliation thing gets to me, too. But I can find a reasonable midpoint between my personal ideology and the party's programme. I have thought of the implacations of getting into this career and ending up as a person I wouldn't want to be, too. But then again, I have this flaw of trusting in myself and in my judgement too much, enough for me to face this kind of adversity.