• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oh sh!t...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I got a new job with better pay and benefits, and it starts tommorrow.

Problem is, I'm scheduled with my old job tommorrow as well... I'll admit- it's my own fault, as I said that I was available immediatly, not expecting to start until next week at earliest, but this isn't cool nonetheless. :doh:

I left work early today running a fever, so I could call in sick and then resign later, but I'm still a bit concerned about not pissing people off unnecissarily.

What should I do? :huh:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Problem is, I'm scheduled with my old job tommorrow as well... I'll admit- it's my own fault, as I said that I was available immediatly, not expecting to start until next week at earliest, but this isn't cool nonetheless. :doh:

I left work early today running a fever, so I could call in sick and then resign later, but I'm still a bit concerned about not pissing people off unnecissarily.

What you were going to do. You want the new job, right? Surely you're not going to put avoiding angering the people at your old job above that?

You can either resign your old job or keep making up excuses to avoid work while you're at your new job.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm off Friday, and it will perhaps look better if I resign then so that it won't look like I went out and got hired and played "sick" today... and I don't want for future employers to ask for a reference there and have my boss still mad at me (she's somewhat vindictive, especially since I'll be the 3rd employee to quit in a week :shock:)

Then again, I'll feel bad about calling in tommorrow because they'll be short a person, even though we've been so slow this month that people keep getting sent home after a few hours at work. :thinking:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Congrats and oops :D

It's best to be up-front and honest about it now while you have the chance, they prolly won't like it but it's better than having them finding out later that you lied, who knows they may be more accepting than you expect, at the least it shows more respect than pulling a sicky and quitting later. Anyway what are they going to do if they are really pissed? Fire you? It's not like they can force you to stay.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
:yay: - that's great news!

Ouch :(. Sort of a rough situation... other than tomorrow, how much do the schedules conflict? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's possible to go to the new job tomorrow, then spend some of your new-job-days-off trying to help the old job people get settled after you resign? I don't know - there may not be a good way out - but all you can do is try. Have you committed to starting the new job tomorrow? I know they expected that you were available "immediately"... but maybe you can "take a day to get things in order" or something like that? One day to wrap up at the old place may not make any difference... I don't know, but might be an option? But maybe just a clean break is the best you can do... old-employer's probably not going to be happy no matter what. Reading back on this, I'm afraid I'm not much help...

Not a fun situation... but congratulations on the new job anyway :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ true :yes:

:doh: I'm kinna an idiot sometimes I fear...

I’d prolly do the same thing :rolleyes:

All I know is from an employer’s point of view I prefer my staff to tell the truth if they were quitting even if it’s not what I want to hear, means I can move on quicker and start looking at replacing them.

In regards to the new job I wouldn't stuff them around at all, if you've indicated you can start immediately that's what you should do.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah- the problem's not in quitting or anything, since there are some people who can and will very happily take my hours at a moment's notice- it's that my boss is kind of, um... bitchy, and she's been in a bad mood for the past few days :(

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah- the problem's not in quitting or anything, since there are some people who can and will very happily take my hours at a moment's notice- it's that my boss is kind of, um... bitchy, and she's been in a bad mood for the past few days :(

So what's holding you back - Guilt, fear, intimidation, just not wanting to deal with it? The sooner you do it the sooner that feeling dissipates and bitchy boss lady has to deal with it while you can concentrate on being happy about your new opportunity.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
akc.. now how to phrase an e-mail to her telling her that I have a new job, but wouldn't mind working a day a month or so still at the winery because I actually liked that job but couldn't live on the pay :doh:

Dear ___,

I just got a call today telling me that I'm hired for a job that I had applied for and interviewed several months ago. The pay and benefits are both nice, but the job starts tommorrow. I hate to tell you at such a late notice, as I'd enjoy staying with ___ and working an occasional Sunday, but I don't really see another option, as I couldn't delay the training.

I'm sorry again, I hope that you understand that with the cutbacks in hours for the winter that I need to be able to earn enough to pay my rent and bills I am sort of cornered here. I feel bad about springing this on you at such a short notice and hope that you understand.

Thank you,
whatever

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sent the e-mail... feel like quite a bitch at the moment (mostly paranoia about future references on job applications, since I know that my last job won't give me a good one since I quit at the last moment for this job, which the boss knew when she hired me)

*sigh*

I want a drink...

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
akc.. now how to phrase an e-mail to her telling her that I have a new job, but wouldn't mind working a day a month or so still at the winery because I actually liked that job but couldn't live on the pay :doh:

Dear ___,

I just got a call today telling me that I'm hired for a job that I had applied for and interviewed several months ago. The pay and benefits are both nice, but the job starts tommorrow. I hate to tell you at such a late notice, as I'd enjoy staying with ___ and working an occasional Sunday, but I don't really see another option, as I couldn't delay the training.

I'm sorry again, I hope that you understand that with the cutbacks in hours for the winter that I need to be able to earn enough to pay my rent and bills I am sort of cornered here. I feel bad about springing this on you at such a short notice and hope that you understand.

Thank you,
whatever

sent the e-mail... feel like quite a bitch at the moment (mostly paranoia about future references on job applications, since I know that my last job won't give me a good one since I quit at the last moment for this job, which the boss knew when she hired me)

*sigh*

I want a drink...

I think you did a great job with this - it is sort of an awkward situation, and you're probably not making any friends with the old place, but it's an eminently reasonable and honest reason for leaving quickly... especially if they keep sending you home early without getting enough hours to maintain your pay.

I hope things go well at the new job tomorrow :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

*sigh*

Job references... it's like the whole system is contrived to discourage movement, isn't it? I mean, the whole idea of relying on previous employers to evaluate worth seems... eh.
I want a drink...

Okay.

:cheers:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

*sigh*

I want a drink...

I was about to suggest a few things, too slow.

Well done, tis better to have it finished with. Now get yourself that drink!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes...exactly that. and congrats babe!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I did the right thing by severing ties sooner than later, and it had to happen, but damn, I kinna feel like a rat.

Especially since I have quite a few friends there :blush:

well, a good very dirty martini should take care of things!

Thanks everyone :hug:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dear has-beens,

Guess what? I'm found a better job.

C-ya

-Anonymous

Good job, whatever.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
wow...I have no idea.at least it worked out for you.

I'm also suprised to find out that most people don't have a giant calendar floating around in their head to consult when scheduling things.