• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Organization, how do you get it done? (Ps welcome)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm curious about other people. How do you keep yourself organized? This can span from finances to your daily life. You don't have to get too detailed if you don't want to.

For me, I keep track of all of my finances in spreadsheets. I just got a new day planner right before this semester started that was very simple. It has a calendar for each month, and then a column to write notes for each day. That's all I want. I only wanted a place to write down things that pertain to each day. I didn't need an appointment listing. I don't need a to do list.

I think I'm not as high of a J to really make use of a day planner. My problem with planners is that I am so used to just....remembering everything I need to do, that I don't want to write it down. I feel like I'm making note of something twice. It's redundant. It's still useful, though, since I found a planner that works for my style.

How do you guys do it?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Be careful, 'P's..

its-a-trap.jpg

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got so much shit going on all the time that I just need a day planner.
I sit down once a week or so and do some planning. Then i'm able to mindlessly follow the instructions of the planner for the rest of the week. If things go haywire, I just change things around a bit.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I wait until the last minute something has to be done and turn into a fiery tornado of productivity until it is finished. I pay bills on time by memorizing the days they are due, due dates and deadlines are kept in the old noggin, I leave things I know I need to do in conspicuous places [stuff on the bed], and program my GFs cycle into my phone.

I just kind of wing it.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm gonna be pretty honest and say it doesn't happen, but I'm pretty good at thinking of shit on the fly. Plus debunking bullshit and trying to bring some order and logic to things has it's perks when you have that sort of methodology. I can inspire people to fill in some of the more gaping voids I leave.

I try and mix play with a little intense endeavor for my own curiosity. It's usually on something that involves some intellectual abilities so it primes me up a bit. After that I try and segue-way into what I'm actually supposed to do and then when it comes time to do it I can recall and spontaneously make things come together. I have to channel the bursts though, like surfing if I ever actually did it.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
i organize through my mom.

i make lists
but just to make them
i dont do it

honestly i dont organize anything whatsoever. which is why i try to keep everything materialistic to a minimal

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not currently "organized" per se, but I have a plan to be. The Plan: buy an infinite number of monkeys and let them organize me. Sooner or later they're bound to get it right. So it's just a waiting game at this stage.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Organization doesn't have to be restricted to planners and to do lists. People don't use them and still get things done. I'm interested in that works.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Mainly to get things done works like the density of a lot of particles getting tightier, when they are being accelerated in a centrifuge, which has a huge end and a very very very very small one.

At the beginning the particles just chill out and rotate with the flow, but in the end, when they realize it is just about too late, they get that immense density that torns steel apart !!

The only problem is all the spinning makes you really REALLY dizzy in the head in time :D

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I get others to remind me of things. Carelessness is really my middle name.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I crawl up in a hole and pray for the storm to pass.
Somebody will usually do everything for me.

Oh and, You can always get away with a smile.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Getting Things Done - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I highly recommend it for any other shitty organizers out there. It is a lifesaver and IMO very P-friendly. I don't do the million folders thing, though. I've modified the concept to suit my lifestyle. I can't do paper. Basically I just offload everything organization-wise to my gmail inbox so I don't have to think about it and try to keep track of it all in my feeble brain or on countless lists and papers. Tried that - failed, many times.

I've got my Google calendar set up to send reminders to my inbox, where they are tagged in purple. I keep them as new until I do them. Now I only forget to do things if I forget to enter them in my calendar (which, sadly, happens more than I'd like to admit). I've set up as many bills online as I can, and I keep track of them with GCalendar as well.

Now, if I could only get control over the massive amounts of paper shit that piles up everywhere around here... too bad I can't hire someone to intercept and electronify my paper mail.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'll read that article on wikipedia later.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I stack up my stuff in piles... all over my desk. One pile/stack per subject... sometimes I stack two things together. Actually why am I repeating myself... see here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-blogs/11439-count-down-new-year.html#post473067

Planners, organizers I've never kept up with beyond the first month... I'm trying out remember the milk at the moment. It seems to be working better since it doesn't take much work to use. But it's too early to tell.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know? I guess I just tend to remember stuff. I don't really need to write things down. I know that doesn't really help though.

At work..I wasn't one to use much paper -- I'd just print out the documents that were absolutely necessary and make notes on those. Use scratch paper otherwise. Of the documents I printed out, I'd put them in file folders in drawers, by Project. But as far as job duties and tasks and things I needed to follow up on, I kept most everything in my head. This differed from my ISFJ coworker, who was ultra-organized in an externally visible way - with everything neatly binded, multiple colored pens, each color of which held some special meaning for her when she took notes or wrote down little reminders for herself to follow up on, and very thorough in documenting things on paper. My documentation was all in my head or in chicken scratch on random pieces of paper. :whistling:

As far as activities go, I tend to not like to be super busy anyway, so I sort of manage my life so as to keep things at a more low-key level, so that I won't overextend myself. I'll even purposely 'schedule' and block off days where I don't have anything going on. That alone makes it pretty easy for me to remember things.

I do write things on a calendar, but that isn't exactly 'necessary' -- I half do it just because I like to SEE that I actually have a life. Ha. :laugh:

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know? I guess I just tend to remember stuff. I don't really need to write things down. I know that doesn't really help though.

Haha, this made me think about how I work a bit. I have to write important stuff down because I am involved in just way too much shit at once to mentally keep track of it--in fact I think as more of a mental defense mechanism I intentionally *don't* commit a lot of work details to memory, relying instead on information documented in emails, my notebook and our ticketing system.

For time management and following up, I either rely on my calendar--with my cellphone's ability to sync its calendar with the MS Exchange server--or more importantly, other people :D especially Project Managers who hassle me all the time. As the company's grown bigger and bigger we've moved more to that--folks specializing in certain things and less "one man army" jack-of-all-trades type of stuff. I'm not sure I like it this way though. But with the level of work involved, it's what I have to do.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
How do I manage to be organized and get things done? 3 things:

1) Strattera
2) Caffeine
3) Marijuana

No day planner, no to do lists, no time management, just good old fashioned, 20th century exertion of chemical control over one's body. That last one only helps eliminate the mundanity of everyday BS/tasks and makes them amusing, it has no pragmatic use otherwise. You'd be surprised how fun multi-tasking is..... when on WEED

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have to wait for inspiration.

Inspiration, meaning I get FED UP with my disorganization - that I pour myself into 18 hours of non-stop cleaning/organizing/trashing/throwing/burning/tearing/sorting/etcing. :D

It happens.

I'm good with making systems. I'm not so great at keeping them - but I have done it, AM WORKING ON IT! :D

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I have memory holes in my brain, all important things go into it and never get seen again, which is why I keep everything backed up on my pc calender with alarms to remind me, and a white board and 2 corkboards in different rooms, just incase the alarm still didn't motivate me lol.

When it works, it works great, but when I forget to put the stuff on the boards and on the pc, which happens after I burn out, then it all falls to pieces.

I would like to learn a way to manage my finances better though, a way to budget out a plan that would include some viable saving method that I could stick to without feeling the burn.

Money and me are mortal enemies, a love hate thing, I love it and it hates me.