• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The French Foreign Legion

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
La Légion étrangère. The Foreign Legion. It's got a ring to it, doesn't it?
I have sometimes thought about how it would be to join the ranks.

Have any of you forumites thought about this excessively?

I am immensely drawn to the almost mystical status they have.
All of their strange traditions, their history, everything. To me, they don't seem to be the traditional xSTJ boring stock soldier types. These guys come from all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities, and they are there because they have potential, because they're rough, and in many cases because they've done something they regret. They want to be someone else. Adventurers, lunatics, misfits. Brave men.

This is a place where actions count, not thoughts or words.

I often think of it when everything else just seems black.
How insanely freeing wouldn't it be to just change name and identity and become someone else for a while? It is a hard but simple existence, I reckon.

Vive le Mort, vive le Guerre, vive le Sacre Legionnairre!

147798125_3f0ee7e0b2.jpg

S

Sniffles

Yeah I had thoughts about joining too. But I'm sure my injury automatically disqualifies me from joining.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
They don't look very fit from that picture

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I'd like to join, but alas, I am but of the fairer sex.:violin:

Haha same here, I dabbled with the idea briefly, as a reincarnated warrior how could I not? but I'm glad now that I wasn't able to since the ambitions I have now satisfy me more.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
I watched a programme once, which followed their lives. It looks ridiculously tough; supposedly the toughest army training in the world.

It's interesting - other armies have female soldiers, but I don't think La Légion étrangère does...

S

Sniffles

I watched a programme once, which followed their lives. It looks ridiculously tough; supposedly the toughest army training in the world.

Was it the one with the same guy in Man vs. Wild? Out of a total of 10 recruits in the beginning, only 2-3 made it through.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Was it the one with the same guy in Man vs. Wild? Out of a total of 10 recruits in the beginning, only 2-3 made it through.

Do you mean Bear Grylls? Yeah, must have been... It was called 'Escape to the Legion'. Was on a few years ago.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't want to join them to fight alongside them, but I wouldn't mind joining in an, ahem, 'stress-relief' capability. Hard men in uniforms DO IT for me, sorry. :D

Also, Bear Grylls sucks.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Plz...... can't hold a candle to force Recon Marines. The toughest marines I meant were veritable psychopaths.... France locks up their deranged males, we give ours M-16s! Ooh rah

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Interesting.. I think my grandpa was a part of the French Legion now that I think about it. He fought for the French army, was imprisoned in the German concentration camp for 10 years, came home with a bad temper and shattered life. He was not French, but enlisted to fight for a foreign nation. I heard he was really unemotional. Most people were scared of him IRL.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Interesting.. I think my grandpa was a part of the French Legion now that I think about it. He fought for the French army, was imprisoned in the German concentration camp for 10 years, came home with a bad temper and shattered life. He was not French, but enlisted to fight for a foreign nation. I heard he was really unemotional. Most people were scared of him IRL.

If that was after a long time in a German concentration camp I'm really not surprised he was like that. Poor guy.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
La Légion étrangère. The Foreign Legion. It's got a ring to it, doesn't it?
I have sometimes thought about how it would be to join the ranks.

Have any of you forumites thought about this excessively?

I am immensely drawn to the almost mystical status they have.

What status is that? Doing the work that the French deem too dangerous or too dirty to do themselves?

All of their strange traditions, their history, everything. To me, they don't seem to be the traditional xSTJ boring stock soldier types.

ALL military is "traditional boring xSTJ" organization.

And do you really think the French Foreign Legion officers will give you a lot of leeway for improv? With you being a "cannon meat foreigner" and all?

These guys come from all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities, and they are there because they have potential, because they're rough, and in many cases because they've done something they regret. They want to be someone else. Adventurers, lunatics, misfits. Brave men.

Don't forget occasional criminal fugitives who fled their country.

This is a place where actions count, not thoughts or words.

I often think of it when everything else just seems black.
How insanely freeing wouldn't it be to just change name and identity and become someone else for a while? It is a hard but simple existence, I reckon.

Vive le Mort, vive le Guerre, vive le Sacre Legionnairre!

You're drunk again, aren't you?

I suggest you just join a local martial arts school to deal with your ENTJ bloodlust.

Here is an advice from a friendly former US Marine: Don't let your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
You should JESUS. Albeit your likely to get disspointed. the French Legion as an organization are nothing like the legendary band of soldiers that they were a few decades ago, that romantized view is gone. Today they have been reduced to a standardized elite troop, with shitty french equipment, operating in counter-insurgency missions in africa, and serving in french colonies. They have nothing of the good ole charming glory of the 20th century, despite having misfits among their ranks.

Last edited: