• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do English teachers suck so vigorously?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Like, sucking so much that they create in inescapable vacuum of s***iness which would only result in a catastrophic singularity of b**** shit to engulf the entire world and reduce us all to being subject to their mentally unstable, lunatic, horrible f'tastic teaching methods (teaching how being an old dried up b**** actually has some value to you and society) in the dimension of s***iness that they then create, existing entirely within their own ego-maniacal minds.

Seriously, why? Why is every English teacher I've EVER encountered a weird, bitchy, crazy, angry, off the handle, marbles missing, vindictive, egotistical, liberal, old, pruney woman? I just don't understand. Why are they all like this!? Surely there must be a decent person teaching this freaking subject SOMEWHERE!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Well, at least they could help you spell the title of your thread properly ;)

Atomic Fiend

LOL, My English teachers we're insane too.

My junior year English teacher in High School thought I was a bad egg cause I came in late for class on the first day of school, and decided to try and make an example of me. Having seen how this usually goes I changed classes, best decision I've ever made. My new english teacher was a cool surfer dude, maybe ISFP, and was reaally mellow. He was the cool hippie teacher you saw on T.V. that you always wanted to have, later I find out that my other english teacher, the one who's class I left, dyed her hair a different color and left the school with some dude, with out any notice, leaving that class unattended to.

I hated that woman.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hm. My best friend's training to be one. I wish she would have been mine ^_^ I found two good english teachers during high school....ehm..but that was it. Maybe english teachers are like the.. I dunno. ^_^ Sorry dude.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
It's work. Hard work, especially when you factor in dealing with various young personalities.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've had some very good english teachers that I really enjoyed. *Shrug* Must be your luck.

My tenth grade teacher was usually busy, strangely enough. I wonder why. She always seemed in a hurry. My 11th grade English teacher and I didn't really get along that well :p. I was at the height of my christian fanaticism, and it showed in ways that I don't wish to directly discuss. He had a very walled-off look to his eyes, and I didn't want to try to get past that.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I mean... I think I've had one that was KINDA nice out of probably 15 English teachers in my life (I moved a lot as a kid). I don't know what it is, but I seem to always get the ones that have something to prove and someone to tear down. Half the time they will target me for whatever reason. I've always been a good student, and always respectful of my teachers. What I've found with these bitter old English women is they have a surprisingly marked lack of respect. That's the best way I can describe it. They just see students, and based on some unknown criteria, decide that they are not even deserving of a humane level of respect. For this reason I have often found myself having to do battle with these people, though I hate having to go that route; they leave me no other choice. I find it surprising that I am still facing this even on the college level. It's disheartening. It seems that peace and avoidance doesn't work with these people, so I will once again have to be a hard ass with these teachers lest they walk all over me. It all seems so juvenile in a very high school sort of way...

T

ThatGirl

I mean... I think I've had one that was KINDA nice out of probably 15 English teachers in my life (I moved a lot as a kid). I don't know what it is, but I seem to always get the ones that have something to prove and someone to tear down. Half the time they will target me for whatever reason. I've always been a good student, and always respectful of my teachers. What I've found with these bitter old English women is they have a surprisingly marked lack of respect. That's the best way I can describe it. They just see students, and based on some unknown criteria, decide that they are not even deserving of a humane level of respect. For this reason I have often found myself having to do battle with these people, though I hate having to go that route; they leave me no other choice. I find it surprising that I am still facing this even on the college level. It's disheartening. It seems that peace and avoidance doesn't work with these people, so I will once again have to be a hard ass with these teachers lest they walk all over me. It all seems so juvenile in a very high school sort of way...

People gravitate toward English rather that philosophy because they dont put much stock in individual interpretation but believe in the underlyning message that they believe is deffinatly written. Therfore they may see their ideas and opinions as fact more often than not and look down on others who question or dissagree.

I dont really know.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Because they put too much imprtance on spelling and grammar.

Why do English teachers suck so vigorously?

That should appease the grammar folks, not that I particularly feel the need or desire to pay a great amount of attention to grammar on the forums. On the other hand, the subject matter of English class itself (grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, spelling, etc.) are things I've NEVER had issues with. It's always the teachers.

Oh, and you misspelled "imprtance"/importance. ;)

People gravitate toward English rather that philosophy because they dont put much stock in individual interpretation but believe in the underlyning message that is deffinatly written. Therfore they may see their ideas and opinions as fact more often than not and look down on others who question or dissagree.

I dont really know.

Yes, I think you're right. They definitely think they know everything and know whats right. Everything they believe is a fact *to them* (reminds me of my mother). When you disagree, you will be demonized. I suppose that's what happened to me in my previous class. It was hard to avoid seeing as the teacher insisted on injecting social and political issues into the classroom with every opportunity, and I can't say I ever agreed with her much, or her choice to bring those tangential issues up in an ENGLISH class.

Oh, and that paragraph of yours had quite a few errors as well ;) .

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I actually loved most of my English teachers. I was blessed with having an alarming amount of attractive younger females, though, who were very caring and compassionate. They probably hadn't had the chance to burn out yet. Even so, they were usually very accommodating to my very idiosyncratic ways:both in thought and action. I used to love the freedom I had to express my self verbally and argumentatively, the constructive criticism, and the support they gave me. In fact I would even say it was a better arrangement, because I could blow off some of the steam that I had with school, in class, and inject my less serious side into the class without any long standing issues. A little after the fact talk after incidents usually did the trick.

Pedants were rarely an issue either, I used to be a phenomenal speller... grammar not so much. :D but most of the teachers I had were willing to overlook that and see some of my other strengths. I think the greatest part was the non authoritarian discussions we would have, and the open stance with respect to inquiry. In fact I think there was a mutual respect and appreciation on both sides with a majority of my English teachers.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The amazing thing, Risen, is that one year I had the same teacher for German and for English.

She was awesome in German class and sucked royally in English class.

I believe from this thorough evidence that we can conclude that it may not be the teacher, it just may be the class actually requires the teacher to suck.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Seriously, why? Why is every English teacher I've EVER encountered a weird, bitchy, crazy, angry, off the handle, marbles missing, vindictive, egotistical, liberal, old, pruney woman? I just don't understand. Why are they all like this!? Surely there must be a decent person teaching this freaking subject SOMEWHERE!

TaDa! You rang, Risen? :hi:

I'll own (semi) liberal, weird, old and woman. But if you put me in a lineup, you'd pick me out as the sixties chick stuck on hippy setting. Or, depending on the day, biker babe.

I can hold a whole class of prejudiced, stereotyping dudes like you for forty-five minutes and make you LIKE it! No kidding.

So get a perspective, Guy. :smile:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'd say it's because of the perspective the particular combination of your experiences and personality traits have given you regarding them. This doesn't have anything to do with the nature of English teachers, but rather the nature of what English teachers evoke in you that you are reacting to.

In other words, English teachers seem to suck to you, because they tend to bring out or represent an aspect of yourself that sucks. In this case, I would guess it's your lack of language skills and difficulties with grammar. ;)