User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Meh, I liked most of my English teachers.

ThatGirl

Why do English teacher suck so hard?

Because they put too much imprtance on spelling and grammar.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I mean... I think I've had one that was KINDA nice out of probably 15 English teachers in my life (I moved a lot as a kid). I don't know what it is, but I seem to always get the ones that have something to prove and someone to tear down. Half the time they will target me for whatever reason. I've always been a good student, and always respectful of my teachers. What I've found with these bitter old English women is they have a surprisingly marked lack of respect. That's the best way I can describe it. They just see students, and based on some unknown criteria, decide that they are not even deserving of a humane level of respect. For this reason I have often found myself having to do battle with these people, though I hate having to go that route; they leave me no other choice. I find it surprising that I am still facing this even on the college level. It's disheartening. It seems that peace and avoidance doesn't work with these people, so I will once again have to be a hard ass with these teachers lest they walk all over me. It all seems so juvenile in a very high school sort of way...

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I mean... I think I've had one that was KINDA nice out of probably 15 English teachers in my life (I moved a lot as a kid). I don't know what it is, but I seem to always get the ones that have something to prove and someone to tear down. Half the time they will target me for whatever reason. I've always been a good student, and always respectful of my teachers. What I've found with these bitter old English women is they have a surprisingly marked lack of respect. That's the best way I can describe it. They just see students, and based on some unknown criteria, decide that they are not even deserving of a humane level of respect. For this reason I have often found myself having to do battle with these people, though I hate having to go that route; they leave me no other choice. I find it surprising that I am still facing this even on the college level. It's disheartening. It seems that peace and avoidance doesn't work with these people, so I will once again have to be a hard ass with these teachers lest they walk all over me. It all seems so juvenile in a very high school sort of way...
    People gravitate toward English rather that philosophy because they dont put much stock in individual interpretation but believe in the underlyning message that they believe is deffinatly written. Therfore they may see their ideas and opinions as fact more often than not and look down on others who question or dissagree.

I dont really know.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Because they put too much imprtance on spelling and grammar.
    Why do English teachers suck so vigorously?

That should appease the grammar folks, not that I particularly feel the need or desire to pay a great amount of attention to grammar on the forums. On the other hand, the subject matter of English class itself (grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, spelling, etc.) are things I've NEVER had issues with. It's always the teachers.

Oh, and you misspelled "imprtance"/importance.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    People gravitate toward English rather that philosophy because they dont put much stock in individual interpretation but believe in the underlyning message that is deffinatly written. Therfore they may see their ideas and opinions as fact more often than not and look down on others who question or dissagree.

I dont really know.
    Yes, I think you're right. They definitely think they know everything and know whats right. Everything they believe is a fact *to them* (reminds me of my mother). When you disagree, you will be demonized. I suppose that's what happened to me in my previous class. It was hard to avoid seeing as the teacher insisted on injecting social and political issues into the classroom with every opportunity, and I can't say I ever agreed with her much, or her choice to bring those tangential issues up in an ENGLISH class.

Oh, and that paragraph of yours had quite a few errors as well .

MBTI
    INTP

In answer to the OP, we don't. In fact, we are hot.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

I actually loved most of my English teachers. I was blessed with having an alarming amount of attractive younger females, though, who were very caring and compassionate. They probably hadn't had the chance to burn out yet. Even so, they were usually very accommodating to my very idiosyncratic ways:both in thought and action. I used to love the freedom I had to express my self verbally and argumentatively, the constructive criticism, and the support they gave me. In fact I would even say it was a better arrangement, because I could blow off some of the steam that I had with school, in class, and inject my less serious side into the class without any long standing issues. A little after the fact talk after incidents usually did the trick.

Pedants were rarely an issue either, I used to be a phenomenal speller... grammar not so much. but most of the teachers I had were willing to overlook that and see some of my other strengths. I think the greatest part was the non authoritarian discussions we would have, and the open stance with respect to inquiry. In fact I think there was a mutual respect and appreciation on both sides with a majority of my English teachers.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The amazing thing, Risen, is that one year I had the same teacher for German and for English.

She was awesome in German class and sucked royally in English class.

I believe from this thorough evidence that we can conclude that it may not be the teacher, it just may be the class actually requires the teacher to suck.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Seriously, why? Why is every English teacher I've EVER encountered a weird, bitchy, crazy, angry, off the handle, marbles missing, vindictive, egotistical, liberal, old, pruney woman? I just don't understand. Why are they all like this!? Surely there must be a decent person teaching this freaking subject SOMEWHERE!
    TaDa! You rang, Risen?

I'll own (semi) liberal, weird, old and woman. But if you put me in a lineup, you'd pick me out as the sixties chick stuck on hippy setting. Or, depending on the day, biker babe.

I can hold a whole class of prejudiced, stereotyping dudes like you for forty-five minutes and make you LIKE it! No kidding.

So get a perspective, Guy.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'd say it's because of the perspective the particular combination of your experiences and personality traits have given you regarding them. This doesn't have anything to do with the nature of English teachers, but rather the nature of what English teachers evoke in you that you are reacting to.

In other words, English teachers seem to suck to you, because they tend to bring out or represent an aspect of yourself that sucks. In this case, I would guess it's your lack of language skills and difficulties with grammar.