• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I need direction.

T

ThatGirl

I recently decided to go to college and it has been a wonderful learning experience, but I am starting to loose sight of the bigger picture because I have no idea what path I should be travelling.

Here are the facts,

I dont want a job that relys on the economy anymore

I need to be able to achieve this goal in a very quick manner

I need something that pays well

I need something that I would be good at

The school councelor recomended I go into engineering

I thought I would be interested in Pathology

I can only take one science class at a time due to schedualing conficts

I hate learning math, but I love applying it

I love science but have yet to take anything other than social sciences at this point

I loathe paper work

I also enjoy analytical psychology but I would never make a good councelor

So I guess what I am looking for is some sort of direction between what I enjoy vs what I can do, and I dont even know where to start looking.

Is there anyway if you guys know about a particular feild you can post the feild along with pros and cons and the time that the education generally takes to complete?

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Hmmm, post a little more detail.

How many units have you completed so far?

IMO, if you don't want to rely on the economy, health sciences will usually always be stable. I'm choosing to go into the Physician's Assistant program because no matter what the economy looks like, people always need health treatments. Nursing, Physicians + Assistants, Physical therapy(I wanted to do this cause of the geriatrics and/or sports), and several other occupations of course.

Quickness... how quick are you looking at? Teaching can be pretty quick. Once you have the Bachelors, you can take the CBEST and a subject test. Then teach. And that's pretty economy stable.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Have you considered becoming a hair stylist? People will always have bad hair.

T

ThatGirl

Hmmm, post a little more detail.

How many units have you completed so far?

IMO, if you don't want to rely on the economy, health sciences will usually always be stable. I'm choosing to go into the Physician's Assistant program because no matter what the economy looks like, people always need health treatments. Nursing, Physicians + Assistants, Physical therapy(I wanted to do this cause of the geriatrics and/or sports), and several other occupations of course.

Quickness... how quick are you looking at? Teaching can be pretty quick. Once you have the Bachelors, you can take the CBEST and a subject test. Then teach. And that's pretty economy stable.

I dont want to work with the public in a have to be nice all the time sort of way

Have you considered becoming a hair stylist? People will always have bad hair.

Hm, thats a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?!

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Put your ENTP skills to work for you. I think you would HATE hair, I would and if you're a female ENTP you already have a hard enough time relating to women. In that field you're going to have to make small talk ALL DAY LONG!

Honestly, I would think a bartender would be something you would do far better at, people tend to drink more the harder life gets and depending on where you work you can make good money.

Otherwise, put your skills to work to talk your way into a position you don't totally seem experienced enough for. I once told a potential boss to give me a chance even though I wasn't qualified. I asked her to let me in the door and talk to me, that if she didn't offer me the job I would give her $20 for taking up her time. She did in fact offer me the job.

So, bigger picture, headhunter, doing buying/selling or something else using the problem solving abilities you have.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Are you kidding me! I have a friend with a masters that works as a bartender because she makes more money. Plus ENTPs are quick witted and social in addition to thinking up new drinks and playing shrink to peoples troubles. Sounds like the ideal fast economy proof job for an ENTP..

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I used to be a cocktail waitress, drove home everynight with fingerprints on my butt wreaking like all the alcohol that guys spilled on me.

A guy would have some long arms to get you behind a bar! Otherwise there isn't much that's easy to get and economy proof.

Legal assistant.
Dental hygienist.
LPN.
Bartender.
Stock broker.

That's about all I got and the stock broker is clearly a joke.

alicia91

Bartending and waitressing is definately not a economy-proof job just ask all of them who are currently in Michigan. They are starving. Many bars and restaurants here have closed.

Health care is where it's at. A friend of mine completed an associates degree in medical technology and does ultrasounds. It pays very well. As others have mentioned - nursing, therapy, medical technology (Echos, ultrasound, CAT scans, etc.). They are still hiring teachers in many areas of the country and it's a reasonably well paying and secure job.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I recently decided to go to college and it has been a wonderful learning experience, but I am starting to loose sight of the bigger picture because I have no idea what path I should be travelling.

Here are the facts,

I dont want a job that relys on the economy anymore

I need to be able to achieve this goal in a very quick manner

I need something that pays well

I need something that I would be good at

The school councelor recomended I go into engineering

I thought I would be interested in Pathology

I can only take one science class at a time due to schedualing conficts

I hate learning math, but I love applying it

I love science but have yet to take anything other than social sciences at this point

I loathe paper work

I also enjoy analytical psychology but I would never make a good councelor

So I guess what I am looking for is some sort of direction between what I enjoy vs what I can do, and I dont even know where to start looking.

Is there anyway if you guys know about a particular feild you can post the feild along with pros and cons and the time that the education generally takes to complete?

Engineering doesnt sound like good advice to you.. it's heavily dependent on either construction (civil engineering) or manufacturing (the other sorts). Both of these rely on a growing economy, and are likely to see job cuts in a shrinking one.

It's difficult to know what is secure and not too customer facing. The world needs more plumbers and will always need them. Just a thought.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Health care is where it's at. A friend of mine completed an associates degree in medical technology and does ultrasounds. It pays very well. As others have mentioned - nursing, therapy, medical technology (Echos, ultrasound, CAT scans, etc.). They are still hiring teachers in many areas of the country and it's a reasonably well paying and secure job.

I don't wanna be rude but this is coming from an ISTP, for you to get a job and be happy I think is a pretty easy thing.

I'm the only ENTP posting in here and while I don't know just how ENTP ThatGirl is or how being a woman changes some of the ENTP attributes I have I do know other female ENTPs and no matter the gender work is always our achilles heal.

Do you have the same issues most of use have ThatGirl?

Loss of interest once you master it?
Inability to watch as STs and SFs do things in totally stupid inefficient ways?
Not feeling like you're willing to trade your life for $xx an hour?
Total and utter boredom with the menial?
Wanderlust, thinking about what's better out there?

Anyway, I'm sorry you're having a tough time with what to do right now, it hits home for sure.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Make a prioritized list of things you would do if happiness and fulfillment were your only consideration. Cross off the ones that don't meet your other goals like earning a living, or replace them with similar occupations which do.

T

ThatGirl

I don't wanna be rude but this is coming from an ISTP, for you to get a job and be happy I think is a pretty easy thing.

I'm the only ENTP posting in here and while I don't know just how ENTP ThatGirl is or how being a woman changes some of the ENTP attributes I have I do know other female ENTPs and no matter the gender work is always our achilles heal.

Do you have the same issues most of use have ThatGirl?

Loss of interest once you master it?
Inability to watch as STs and SFs do things in totally stupid inefficient ways?
Not feeling like you're willing to trade your life for $xx an hour?
Total and utter boredom with the menial?
Wanderlust, thinking about what's better out there?

Anyway, I'm sorry you're having a tough time with what to do right now, it hits home for sure.

I would like to say that I put those ideals behind me a long time ago. Now I understand that sucess is more important than fullfillment. Inevtably though I think that I should stick with things that change or are puzzely.

I'd suggest teaching. ENTPs tend to be good teachers.

I'm not a very good teacher. At all.

Make a prioritized list of things you would do if happiness and fulfillment were your only consideration. Cross off the ones that don't meet your other goals like earning a living, or replace them with similar occupations which do.

If I knew then what I know now and could do any area that interested me,

genetics research
chemistry research and development
criminal profiling

obviously these are not options

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I would like to say that I put those ideals behind me a long time ago. Now I understand that sucess is more important than fullfillment. Inevtably though I think that I should stick with things that change or are puzzely.

I wouldn't call what makes an ENTP an ENTP ideals. I would call them the parts of you that set you apart and I would be happy to have them even if they come with issues. Success is a term that means different things to different people. I won't try to guess your meaning however if you're equating money to success that will be futile for an ENTP as money is not your drive in life.

Do something you love, fix problems for people and find solutions, that's where we thrive...

These are all things that go with being an ENTP in your 20s, we mature very slowly and until we do life is not as easy as it is for most. After we mature I think it's easier provided we've learned to manage our issues.