• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I need direction.

T

ThatGirl

I wouldn't call what makes an ENTP an ENTP ideals. I would call them the parts of you that set you apart and I would be happy to have them even if they come with issues. Success is a term that means different things to different people. I won't try to guess your meaning however if you're equating money to success that will be futile for an ENTP as money is not your drive in life.

Do something you love, fix problems for people and find solutions, that's where we thrive...

These are all things that go with being an ENTP in your 20s, we mature very slowly and until we do life is not as easy as it is for most. After we mature I think it's easier provided we've learned to manage our issues.

Money supports drive so it's a catch 22, and I have a lot of personal goals that I would love to more than just think about. I think a lot of ENTP traits are considered not desireable in the world, so with maturity comes the idea that you have to do what you have to do. That we are much less important than we think we are.

Yes problem solving is fun, I would like it to be a little more complex.

What fields offer this in a timely manner?

ygolo

My termites win
(Disclaimer: I am going through a similar phase in my life, so I may not be the best person to give adivice)

Some questions that maybe illuminating:
What are you interested in? --Doesn't need to be one thing.
Why are you interested in these things?

What causes motivate you?--Doesn't need to be one thing.
Why do they motivate you?

How much do you need to survive? --as in per month, per year, etc.
How much do you need to feel "paid well?"

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
If I knew then what I know now and could do any area that interested me,

genetics research
chemistry research and development
criminal profiling

obviously these are not options
What about an "educational notch" down from those:

research assistant in a genetics or chemistry lab
crime evidence technician
psychometrics tech (administering psychological tests)

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Hey ThatGirl, I saw this and had to add in, hope that's alright :)

I know some completely wicked and talented ENTP's, men and mostly women. They seem to enjoy communications jobs (journalism, more research and investigating information, public relations, promotional work, languages) operations (things like being a consultant hired by various businesses to problem solve for higher efficiency).

From reading your posts before, I have a feeling that you would be great at Project Management. To be qualified as a PM, you have to earn a designation. With this designation, you can be hired anywhere in the world. The projects vary in time, challenge, dynamics, creativity.

http://www.pmi.org/Pages/default.aspx

It's not super quick, but you can do the training (reading, tests) on your own time with another occupation, pass an exam and interview with PMI peers. With this designation, your starting salary would usually be around $80000+. This job does not rely on the economy, can carry you through various fields like science and medicine, can involve individual and teamwork settings, and can give you the time for your own personal endeavors (finding new subjects and ideas to pursue for your own interest).

(Note: I'm not a recruiter haha, it's something that I'm considering for myself in a couple years because I will probably become bored with my occupation when I master it)

T

ThatGirl

What about an "educational notch" down from those:

research assistant in a genetics or chemistry lab
crime evidence technician
psychometrics tech (administering psychological tests)

Deffinatley, I will look into these great ideas.

Hey ThatGirl, I saw this and had to add in, hope that's alright :)

I know some completely wicked and talented ENTP's, men and mostly women. They seem to enjoy communications jobs (journalism, more research and investigating information, public relations, promotional work, languages) operations (things like being a consultant hired by various businesses to problem solve for higher efficiency).

From reading your posts before, I have a feeling that you would be great at Project Management. To be qualified as a PM, you have to earn a designation. With this designation, you can be hired anywhere in the world. The projects vary in time, challenge, dynamics, creativity.

http://www.pmi.org/Pages/default.aspx

It's not super quick, but you can do the training (reading, tests) on your own time with another occupation, pass an exam and interview with PMI peers. With this designation, your starting salary would usually be around $80000+. This job does not rely on the economy, can carry you through various fields like science and medicine, can involve individual and teamwork settings, and can give you the time for your own personal endeavors (finding new subjects and ideas to pursue for your own interest).

(Note: I'm not a recruiter haha, it's something that I'm considering for myself in a couple years because I will probably become bored with my occupation when I master it)

I'll check this out too, thank you.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I have a bias for engineering.

Disadvantages:
-male dominated
-outsourcing might put jobs at risk in 10-20 years
-math required during university
-some jobs involve lots of paperwork (but you can avoid them)

Advantages
-high pay, especially in the USA
-job after graduation is almost assured
-math not really needed after graduation
-lots of creative problem solving
-if you're a top notch performer, your job is quite safe even during a economic slowdown
-can be very easy, stress free work for the right person
-E types can choose a technical sales or support position if you like dealing with people

T

ThatGirl

I have a bias for engineering.

Disadvantages:
-male dominated
-outsourcing might put jobs at risk in 10-20 years
-math required during university
-some jobs involve lots of paperwork (but you can avoid them)

Advantages
-high pay, especially in the USA
-job after graduation is almost assured
-math not really needed after graduation
-lots of creative problem solving
-if you're a top notch performer, your job is quite safe even during a economic slowdown
-can be very easy, stress free work for the right person
-E types can choose a technical sales or support position if you like dealing with people

What would be the better types of engineering, I've head there are a variety. Any recomendations?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I have even less direction than you, but I've been researching this kind of thing a lot. The kinds of questions I think it's important to ask are not about jobs, about about life.

What are you passionate about?
Why do you get up in the morning?
What career can maximize these things?

Easier said than done, though...

And about what you would like in a job, does that really exist? Are there jobs that you love, pay well, are economy proof, ect? I doubt it... we may all have to settle at some point.

ygolo

My termites win
I recently decided to go to college and it has been a wonderful learning experience, but I am starting to loose sight of the bigger picture because I have no idea what path I should be travelling.

Here are the facts,

I dont want a job that relys on the economy anymore

I need to be able to achieve this goal in a very quick manner

I need something that pays well

I need something that I would be good at

The school councelor recomended I go into engineering

I thought I would be interested in Pathology

I can only take one science class at a time due to schedualing conficts

I hate learning math, but I love applying it

I love science but have yet to take anything other than social sciences at this point

I loathe paper work

I also enjoy analytical psychology but I would never make a good councelor

So I guess what I am looking for is some sort of direction between what I enjoy vs what I can do, and I dont even know where to start looking.

Is there anyway if you guys know about a particular feild you can post the feild along with pros and cons and the time that the education generally takes to complete?

Seems like you should trust your instincts. Pathology doesn't seem like it depends on the economy, and what little I've seen from my sister's med-school education, there isn't much higher-math involved in medicine--certainly not like modern mechanical or electrical engineering (which tends to be heavy on control and optimization theory). Civil enginenieering has less higher math, but is heavy on paperwork, so you may not like it.

Pathology is rather high paying even among MDs.
Average Pathologist Salary. Pathologist Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

I also guess that paperwork would be less than those who deal directly with the public, since I believe the paperwork, and potential law-suits are proportinal to each other.

Pathology seems like it would be hevy on science, so I am not sure how that'd work out.

T

ThatGirl

Seems like you should trust your instincts. Pathology doesn't seem like it depends on the economy, and what little I've seen from my sister's med-school education, there isn't much higher-math involved in medicine--certainly not like modern mechanical or electrical engineering (which tends to be heavy on control and optimization theory). Civil enginenieering has less higher math, but is heavy on paperwork, so you may not like it.

Pathology is rather high paying even among MDs.
Average Pathologist Salary. Pathologist Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

I also guess that paperwork would be less than those who deal directly with the public, since I believe the paperwork, and potential law-suits are proportinal to each other.

Pathology seems like it would be hevy on science, so I am not sure how that'd work out.

See I get all excieted everytime I think about doing pathology. Certainly there are sub divisions such as clinical that dont deal with things like autopsys. Thanks, great info.

Does anyone know about how long it generally takes to complete?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
See I get all excieted everytime I think about doing pathology. Certainly there are sub divisions such as clinical that dont deal with things like autopsys. Thanks, great info.

Does anyone know about how long it generally takes to complete?

In the US, I think it's typically 4 years of med school + 1 year internship + 4 years residency after that.

I work with pathologists some, writing software to help with image storage and diagnosis. It's pattern recognition, and surprisingly can often be subjective.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I recently decided to go to college and it has been a wonderful learning experience, but I am starting to loose sight of the bigger picture because I have no idea what path I should be travelling.

Here are the facts,

I dont want a job that relys on the economy anymore

I need to be able to achieve this goal in a very quick manner

I need something that pays well

I need something that I would be good at

The school councelor recomended I go into engineering

I thought I would be interested in Pathology

I can only take one science class at a time due to schedualing conficts

I hate learning math, but I love applying it

I love science but have yet to take anything other than social sciences at this point

I loathe paper work

I also enjoy analytical psychology but I would never make a good councelor

So I guess what I am looking for is some sort of direction between what I enjoy vs what I can do, and I dont even know where to start looking.

Is there anyway if you guys know about a particular feild you can post the feild along with pros and cons and the time that the education generally takes to complete?

Forensic psychologist

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
What would be the better types of engineering, I've head there are a variety. Any recomendations?

I like electrical or software. In my opinion, they're the most creative of the fields. In mechanical and civil jobs, much of the time is spent drawing parts which fit together. But your interests could be different. When I was in Uni, chemical had the highest number of females.