• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Grades & getting hired?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An age-old question. How much do your college grades matter when applying for jobs?

Probably depends on the kind of job, right? Some jobs probably don't look at all, right? As long as you have the diploma...

I've heard different answers from different people in my life. Got any experiences to shed some light on this?

ygolo

My termites win
An age-old question. How much do your college grades matter when applying for jobs?

Probably depends on the kind of job, right? Some jobs probably don't look at all, right? As long as you have the diploma...

I've heard different answers from different people in my life. Got any experiences to shed some light on this?

It probably does depend highly on the particular position. But having seen the issues from both sides, I'd say the grades really only matter in terms of getting past the initial sifting process at the company level.

Once you've had your first real job, the experience supersedes whatever your academic record showed.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
+1

Grades, school and even your major only get you in the door for that first position. After that, it is all based on experience (with the exception that they do look for you just having a degree).

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I was involved with the screening process in a technical field and grades matter, however where you got your diploma didn't matter much. Generally, it would depend if the degree is directly applicable to the job and what kind of job we are talking about.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I was involved with the screening process in a technical field and grades matter, however where you got your diploma didn't matter much. Generally, it would depend if the degree is directly applicable to the job and what kind of job we are talking about.

This is what I would have suspected.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It depends on where you are as well - in Germany, for example, no one asks about your grades. On the other hand, if you don't have the exact paperwork on hand to prove everything you've ever done since birth, you're in deeeeep trouble....Soooo.....There are positives and negatives to everything.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I have never seen grades mentioned as part of the hiring process... the only way I could see it being applicable would be towards internships, or the performance notation on your diploma which, unlike grades, does go on your resume.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Here they matter as a minimum requirement (the maximum grade for college graduation is 110, if your grade is lower than 100 then you're less likely to find a good job), however past the minimum they do not matter at all - the type of degree matters much more.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think this is basically the same as asking "Does it matter what you major in?" The jobs that care probably care about your grades, too...at least initially.

ENTP2L

MBTI Type
ENTP
Grades matter much more if you want to go to graduate school, and even then I've seen people who had sub-par college GPA's get into schools due to their career experience.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
The only thing grades matter in is if you're planning to go to some professional school (medicine, dental, law etc) that looks at your grades for admissions. Otherwise, it's your degree and what you can do with it that matters, not your grades.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, all I can say is that if you want to make a career in academics/university, excellent grades are a necessity.

And to be able to build something, to sign the paperwork, you need an architect diploma or else it's illegal. Furthermore, from my experience, I've never seen a good architect succeeding within this milieu if he/she never had outstanding grades in school.
Every interesting architects I know in France have had their diploma cum laude. Is it a coincidence? I do not think so.

Last edited:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Grades matter until you have experience, then they don't. It's pretty much universal - even grad acceptance tends to be like this (executive MBAs come to mind). It's just that post-grad tends to be academic entry only, as the applicants don't tend to have real world experience!

I don't know of any exceptions - even academics judge you on publications more than 'grades' when you go to get a prof job, as far as I know. I suppose at the ivy league point the source of your degree matters, as a matter of prestige - can be the same for the 'fortune 500' who-knows-who - but in general, the more experience you have, the less it matters.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Then how much do grades affect your first time getting hired, especially for jobs that are not completely academic, but for which a certain college degree is still required?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Then how much do grades affect your first time getting hired, especially for jobs that are not completely academic, but for which a certain college degree is still required?

Then it depends on your field, but if you are only going to be judged for your position based on your degree, it will matter (it's a 'somewhat' to 'entirely' range).

If, however, you do have non-academic things to draw on, even in that situation, you can get away with lower marks. For example, if you are a programmer and have taken part of open-source/google projects/etc, then you get away with lower grades. And if you have a long list of community service (notably in the arts), or are otherwise socially involved... that matters too. And if you supported trade organizations, etc. for the business community (or networked, etc.)... and so on.

But for the first job, it tends to matter. Especially if you are younger, as in just out of college.

Keep in mind that it's still only the first job. Once you have it, if you look for experience and CV padding, marks won't really matter again. Also, early on, don't turn down promotions in any way. Even dead ends within a company tend to work out when you try to make lateral transfers elsewhere.

(I'm assuming you are asking because your marks are lower, not higher. If they are higher, try to command a high salary instead, setting a higher initial bar to work from.)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(I'm assuming you are asking because your marks are lower, not higher. )
Yup. Thank you for your in-depth response.

I didn't want to make it specific to only my situation, though. There are probably other people out there (I guess) who fit into this category.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
My experience is that the fact that I have worked through school for 4 years as a freelance translator seem to matter more in the hiring process rather than the GPA of the BS, which is sufficiently good.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
My experience is that the fact that I have worked through school for 4 years as a freelance translator seem to matter more in the hiring process rather than the GPA of the BS, which is sufficiently good.

Yup, this can't be emphasized enough.

A large portion of the value of education is signaling... and you are competing against others who have also done it, making the signal weaker. Lacking anything else, grades is what will count (think of it as 'plumage color among birds').

What FDG did is huge - it overshadows other signals (heh, think of it as 'scars on alpha males' - no one cares how pretty he is, he's proven his worth). It's the same with experience... it signals ability vastly better than academic learning.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yup, this can't be emphasized enough.

A large portion of the value of education is signaling... and you are competing against others who have also done it, making the signal weaker. Lacking anything else, grades is what will count (think of it as 'plumage color among birds').

What FDG did is huge - it overshadows other signals (heh, think of it as 'scars on alpha males' - no one cares how pretty he is, he's proven his worth). It's the same with experience... it signals ability vastly better than academic learning.

Yeah; what I found valuable in this lesson is that it testifies the truthfulness of the signalling approach to education over the human capital theoretical background; I am absolutely certain that my education has been much more useful in providing skills, yet I get chosen on the basis of my working experience. Funny.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

Good advice here, folks.