• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Question

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who else here either is or is going to become an R.N.?

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
Hey Sunshine! I am actually seriously thinking about becoming an R.N. I'm taking time off from uni to figure out what I really want to do, and nursing seems to be the most sensible thing I've come up with so far. I was also thinking about being a secret agent, but I don't know where they hire those ... oh well...
What type are you? I think I read somewhere that you're ISFP :newwink:
Anyway, I don't know though if nursing would be the right thing for me. What do you think about it? Do you think it fits with your personality? Why are you considering it, particularly?
I was thinking about the positives and negatives, and here's what I came up with.
+ the wage is alright, and there are lots of advancement opportunities
+ variety in the choices of where to work (t.i. hospitals, private clinics, traveling nurse, etc.)
+ benefits- insurance, etc
+ you're almost 100 % certain to get a job= lifetime security
+ it fits well with the practical nature of ISFP- active, hands-on, here-and-now job
+ it feels pretty good to help someone
+ as an ISFP, I'm alright under stress

- it can get extremely stressful and draining
- long hours
- no creative outlet
- not too much flexibility, and can get suffocating for us freedom-loving ISFP's with all the schedules, punctuality, etc
- patients can be rude, obnoxious, pissy. For ISFP's especially, we can take it to heart too much. But I guess that's everywhere...just have to deal with it the best we can.
- for me personally, security is not the priority right now...It's actually never been a priority for me...the main thing I want is to figure out is WHAT THE F@&$ AM I MADE FOR!!!!! :steam: :D
No, but seriously. I really have this drive to do what I'm "meant" to. And if I was honest with myself, nursing doesn't feel like the thing, you know. I don't know. I still can't figure it all out, although I do feel I'm finally on the right track.
Anyway, any thoughts you have, will appreciate if you shared :) Even if it's about the stupid costumes that the nurses wear nowadays. :D If I become a nurse, I'm going to invent a new, cool and sexy costume. Gonna be great. :yes::D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to be an R.N.
I happen to be doing my clinical paperwork at the moment :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey, I was reading your downsides anainani, some of them aren't so "down" though.

long hours: not necissarily anymore!! theres more flexibility. They need nurses so you can pretty much pick your schedule.
- no creative outlet: Well, not in the artistic sense. But theres definately a lot of room for being creative in giving care, and making own decisions, teaching. (Depending on your idea of creative.) I really like that part of making my careplans, coming up with new effective ways to reach goals.
- not too much flexibility, and can get suffocating for us freedom-loving ISFP's with all the schedules, punctuality, etc: Yes, you're right.
- patients can be rude, obnoxious, pissy. For ISFP's especially, we can take it to heart too much. But I guess that's everywhere...just have to deal with it the best we can: I work with patients at work and at school right now who are rude. I have been at my job for 2 years and it took me a while to get used to this. I hate it when people yell at me. After a while you really do learn to adapt and kind of let it bounce off of you!!! (And there are way more nice people than mean people out there.)

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
Thanks, Shortsie. :) Especially for the part about creativity. That's good to know that you can make your own careplans, and pretty much make your own schedule. Similar to Patch Adams, only he was a doctor in the movie :D dunno if you've seen it. It's one of my favourites.
I haven't had any real-life, personal experience with nursing.
So, overall, how do you like the profession? What would be the biggest downside, and the biggest reward, in your opinion/experience?
How long do you/did you have to study? How do you like to study it in general? Not too boring?
Sorry for the question bombardment :D I'm just interested in how you like it.

Midget

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm going to be a RN, but right now I'm just doing my pre-requesets. After this term, I can start applying to nursing programs. :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks, Shortsie. :) Especially for the part about creativity. That's good to know that you can make your own careplans, and pretty much make your own schedule. Similar to Patch Adams, only he was a doctor in the movie :D dunno if you've seen it. It's one of my favourites.
I haven't had any real-life, personal experience with nursing.
So, overall, how do you like the profession? What would be the biggest downside, and the biggest reward, in your opinion/experience?
How long do you/did you have to study? How do you like to study it in general? Not too boring?
Sorry for the question bombardment :D I'm just interested in how you like it.

No problem, anaiani! I love talking about nursing. Brief background.
I started off like you with no experience. I was going to college and wanted to try nursing (a four year program) and so started doing my prerequisites. The school I was at was kind of stupid but also really hard to get into the actual program, so I couldn't. I got a lot of the prereqs out of the way, and then moved an hour south. Tried to get into other nursing programs, they all had a long 2-3 year waiting list. In the meantime I became a nurses aide which took 3 months. Ended up wanting to stay here in the area, and signed up for a 2 year RN program that is really intensive and hard to get into but no waiting list and I got in. So basically now i've been an aide for a couple of years and am in school for the RN. I'll finish my bachelors shortly after I finish my RN. (Kind of messed up but i'm getting experience in the meantime)

I do love to study nursing. Its one of the very few academic subjects that has been fun for me. I hate classroom learning but a lot of the learning happens on the job and at clinical and in lab. Its very people focused which makes it interesting for me.

So far, biggest down fall of being an aide is what you mentioned. People being jerks. (Not so common though, and you learn to block it out. ) Also, it gets very crazy busy to the point where you feel you don't have much control at times and you have to take it one patient or task at a time.

The list of upsides far outweighs the downsides. One type description of esfp's said that "they may go into nursing for the drama." Kind of true, I love the excitement of new things happening every day between school and work. The socialization, the talking. The fun coworkers. At school I love developing plans of care and following through. Love the skills like giving shots and taking vitals and things i've done in lab like catheterizations and ng tubes. The constantly moving around. All of these are the biggest upsides for me so far, I think different types of people will tell you different things, though.

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
Wow, Shortsie, thanks a lot!!! Good job with getting in, it seems like it was tough! I will probably have to get serious with it soon, and start looking for programs, and if it actually fits me. I think it's good that you are getting actual experience, being an aide.
So, when are you done with the studies?
I also like people-focused jobs, but it would probably be a little more draining for me to be constantly socializing. But I guess every nurse has her own style, and I'm sure there are lots of introverted nurses who are ok with it :) But I really do love to be able to help people, and at the same time, knowing what to do/making my own decisions/doing my own thing.
I guess what I'm worried about is the studies, because for the life of me, I could never make myself memorize definitions, or just memorize specifics. I took sports medicine in Uni, and I wasn't very good at it. I was alright at the actual hands-on stuff, but studying all the names of injuries/organs/muscles in English was a nightmare. It's kind of non-sensor-like, I guess. But I'm sure I'm a sensor.
Maybe it has to do with English not being my first language, I came to US not long ago, so memorizing specific definitions in English are kinda tough for me. I am good at studies in English that are more flow-like, and you don't have to memorize specifics that much, like Humanities, History, Sociology, even Math.
So, I am kind of worried if I'm even going to be able to get through the studies.
Anyway, sorry I'm rambling :blush:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't have to apologize. Yes every nurse has their own style.
My partner in crime at school is an ISFJ. She's not a fan of the talking part, I don't think, but she likes to help people and i'm jealous of her accuracy and knowledge! There's definitely different reasons for different people to go into nursing.

Actually I think a lot of the introverts are better than me in the way that they are more observant and better listeners. Very important in nursing.

The memorizing isn't as bad as it seems. The hard sciences required are definately a lot of mindless memorizing, but if you can get through that, you're gold. Nursing can seem like a lot of memorizing if you're not paying attention but I think there's a lot of experience in clinical that can make you relate the facts to your own experience.

Good job learning English!!! I always have respect for people who can learn this language with all of its exceptions. If you are serious about nursing, and are interested, I know you'll do fine.. And if you have any questions never be shy to ask!

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
Yes, everyone is good in their own way, introverts and extroverts,and all the other -erts. Thanks again! I will look into the whole dilly more. :thumbup: