• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Too much to do...

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Hi all

Just wondered how others cope with this - I'm just really overworked at the moment - working really long hours (mainly due to covering for sickness and major projects coming to an end in the next few weeks)

I feel like I've just 'run out of steam' literally - everything at the moment at work feel like a big deal and I suppose I'm just very resentful.

I work with a good team who all pull their weight - its just soo hard at the moment - it will get a bit better in the new year but I just wondered if anybody else was experiencing the same at present and how you keep going!?:shock:

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I'm a huge procrastinator so the ends of the semesters are always horrible -- especially when there's a job and other responsibilitlies on top of school work.

Something I've discovered over the years is that if I am not fully rested or not feeling good (i.e. hungry, bored, lonely, etc.) is that I should fix whatever problem I'm having before I even try to undertake my work, because it will nag me and cause me to be resentful if I don't get it out of my system.

In essence, I play a little before I work. For example, I had a lot of work to do today, but I knew I was completely exhausted. I came home from school today, told myself that the work WILL get done, but I will do it when I feel better. I pushed the thought of work out of my mind, took a 3-hour nap, woke up feeling completely refreshed, and then sat down at the computer and spent 3 hours tackling my assignment which is now finished. If I hadn't napped, it likely would have taken me twice the time and effort to finish the project...and to top it off, I would have been even more tired and annoyed. I see the goofing off / napping time as an investment to my overall well-being, because once I'm content and have all the other little worries out of my mind, I can focus on the issue at hand :)

Good luck!

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I pushed the thought of work out of my mind, took a 3-hour nap, woke up feeling completely refreshed, and then sat down at the computer and spent 3 hours tackling my assignment which is now finished. If I hadn't napped, it likely would have taken me twice the time and effort to finish the project...and to top it off, I would have been even more tired and annoyed. I see the goofing off / napping time as an investment to my overall well-being, because once I'm content and have all the other little worries out of my mind, I can focus on the issue at hand :)

Good luck!

Thanks Recoleta :)

Thats my plan for this weekend - ive probably got about 6 hrs to do (on top of a very long week already) - intend to do it in 1 hr chunks and get plenty sleep inbetween and do nothing else - only 2 1/2 weeks left until hols so hope I can hold on until then - another member of staff went off sick this week - its only my over developed protestant work ethic that stops me from doing the same! :huh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, honestly, I just go for drugs when there is really the need for it. Modafinil now mostly, so that I can stand up all night without being tired the day after. I know it's not nice, but it happens only 1 week a year.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That which is urgent is rarely important, and that which is important is rarely urgent.

When I'm overloaded I try to gain perspective. What things am I blowing out of proportion? Can I drop anything from my schedule or reduce the amount of time I'm giving it?

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Well, honestly, I just go for drugs when there is really the need for it. Modafinil now mostly, so that I can stand up all night without being tired the day after. I know it's not nice, but it happens only 1 week a year.

I used to be able to do this (not anything like Modefinil but a mild stimulant like pro plus) but now I know that this would just make me ill so I have to look at conserving energy more - I think feeling this much resentment about it is also draining of energy :steam:

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
That which is urgent is rarely important, and that which is important is rarely urgent.

When I'm overloaded I try to gain perspective. What things am I blowing out of proportion? Can I drop anything from my schedule or reduce the amount of time I'm giving it?

Good advice - I know I lost this perspective a while ago and I'm just too knackered to think straight anymore - I cant drop anything but i know I need to get a grip on worrying too much about it all

I'm going to try and do some long walks with the dog this wekend to think and get a bit of perspective back - part of the problem is that I'm sorrounded by people and noise all week or driving from one problem to another - i need time alone to think

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I experience this a lot.
Right now i'm nearing the end of a semester and have lots of tests and paperwork, projects and also I have to go to work.
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but when things get very busy for me, I set aside time to do whatever it is that's going to make me feel better. (Going for a jog, having a cup of coffee, stretching my back, taking a nap or shower)
I have this thing I call "power hour." So when I only have an hour between things I start a pot of coffee, take a shower and get really clean, stretch my back, and lay down for the remaining minutes. ( I try for 20 mins- half hour.) When I wake I drink the coffee and get dressed and voila! My additude is completely changed.
I would recommend power hour for anyone in that situation. (You would just have to do whatever comforts make YOU personally feel better.)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm starting to feel the pressure of the end of the semester. In the next week, I have 1 final, 1 regular test, 2 presentations, 1 speech, and 1 15-page paper due. I just pace myself, tackling whatever is more important at the time. If I don't do this, I can get overwhelmed, looking at the enormous pile of work I have to do.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also Bronte, when you have an end in sight (such as the New Year) it gets easier. Just pace yourself and give yourself some time to catch your breath. Four weeks isn't THAT long... you can do it!

Wait till life throws an impossible situation at you and doesn't offer any end in sight. That's when things get interesting.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Have you considered giving up completely?

Yes and that scares the hell out of me - I dont know what else I'd do - or how I'd manage on less money and there are aspects of the job I love and I do love the variety

I have to learn to be ok with doing less and doing things less well - I've dealt with my perfectionism to a certain degree but I still have very high standards and hate letting people down

so some of it is personal and some of it is about modern orgainisations that just expect too much from employees

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm kind of in that situation with work right now. Sometimes it helps to just see the humor and absurdity in things. I usually by thinking about how I've tied myself up with my thoughts, "defects," and the situation. It's sorta...funny, I guess.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Also Bronte, when you have an end in sight (such as the New Year) it gets easier. Just pace yourself and give yourself some time to catch your breath. Four weeks isn't THAT long... you can do it!

Wait till life throws an impossible situation at you and doesn't offer any end in sight. That's when things get interesting.

I suppose so - (the worst is over then but there are new challenges next year which I worry will be just as difficult) but like you said when youve lost perspective it seems like forever and if it was just the amount of work it would be fine but Ive got to do lots of stuff I've never done before and dont feel at all confident about to cover for those off sick - I hate making a mess of things!

BUT - yes I will do it - I will see it through and then I know I need to do some serious thinking about whats going on cos this is not how I want to live

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I'm kind of in that situation with work right now. Sometimes it helps to just see the humor and absurdity in things. I usually by thinking about how I've tied myself up with my thoughts, "defects," and the situation. It's sorta...funny, I guess.

I can do this with my work mates who are really the only reason I keep going in at present - through all the shit we make each other laugh - to the point of hysteria :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
This time of the year is always the worst for this thing; right now too I have 2 part-time jobs and 2 papers due the next week. The best thing to do is to never procrastinate, so that the pile of work is not too high.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Back in college this happened all the time. I miss it terribly...

Stuff that has worked for me:

You've gotta get some tunnel vision and chunk it.
English translation: Shut out all thoughts of what you need to do. Just pick a task and do it. Engage in escapism during breaks (watching TV usually works), then put the blinders back on and tackle the next chunk. Don't think. Just do.

If your tunnel vision/ blinders fail you, you could become a masochist. Enjoy the pain. Find pleasure in the adrenaline rush, and let it carry you through your tasks faster and better than you ever thought possible. (Yeah, this one's kinda sick, but if it works... )

Lastly, if you can convince yourself that you'll get it done no matter how ridiculous it seems, that'll help a lot. Humans are capable of the most amazing things when under pressure. Good luck!

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
put the blinders back on and tackle the next chunk. Don't think. Just do.
love it!! this is just what Ive got to do!! presently have had three glassses of wine and dont give a **** It will all come out in the wash as we say in the blighty::D