• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A silly question for a sentence.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So I'm writing a paper (please ignore typos or grammatical errors, or don't actually feel free to correct them) and I wrote "the chance of anyone meeting her is expotentionaly less then someone who is meeting their celebrity, and the chance of them not being disappointed that this person does not live up to the image is even" (do I use less or more their I was thinking less as in less of a chance, but then I wondered if it wasn't more like more exponetially less of a chance)? it's probably less but I've confused myself.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'll be frank: The sentence makes no sense. Therefore I recommend scrapping it and starting over.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Before you try and work it into a sentence, could you tell us what you're trying to say?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
that sexual obsessions with tv characters are creepy. And that their isn't much of a chance meeting one, even less then meeting someone's celebrity. and that an idealized version of a person will never be met in real life if idealized to an extreme.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that sexual obsessions with tv characters are creepy. And that their isn't much of a chance meeting one, even less then meeting someone's celebrity. and that an idealized version of a person will never be met in real life if idealized to an extreme.

Write this.^^^

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
"The chances of meeting your perfect mate are about equal to the chances of the celebrity you find most attractive knocking on your door, and falling for you. Prepare for disappointment."

Something like that?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"'Sexual obsessions with characters on television can be taken to unhealthy extremes. Such insupportable idealism applied to the real world results in warped perception of those around us, and can lead to constant strain and disappointment in relationships when such grandiose ideals cannot, invariably, be met."

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I meant favorite celebrity. But more like the one celebrity they are obsessed with.

I see. You're down on "magical thinking", like that guy who says he's in love with Kirsten Dunst and made some sort of emotional connection with her?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
not really, I mean yes to the point of it destroys the other person's life. I've seen it happen, she lives her life around someone she never met, kept saying he'd make it better and that's why she listened to him so much that if he took her away her life would magically get better. Or if she could meet him same thing. She even planned to move to London (where he lives) in hopes of meeting him after she graduated. She tried to kill herself. When she's drunk she talk to him like he's in the room.

I enjoy "magical thinking" but at the end of the day I realize it's "magical thinking" and go on with my life.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
the chance of anyone meeting her is expotentionaly less then someone who is meeting their celebrity, and the chance of them not being disappointed that this person does not live up to the image is even

I meant favorite celebrity. But more like the one celebrity they are obsessed with.

Okay, how about something like this:

The chances of a celebrity living up to his or her fanatic's expectations are slim to none. Disillusionment is certain.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The celebrity is not only worshiped, but idealized in the eyes of the fan. The fan has no chance of meeting this person because the idealized celebrity is a fiction that exists only in the hopes and fantasies of the fan. Ultimately, the celebrity, like the fan, is plagued with character flaws and real-life problems and is therefore bound to disappoint the adoring fan who confuses fantasy and reality.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
another question: does statutory rape have an upper limit on age range? like would a relationship between two consenting individuals of fifty years apart still be statutory rape?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
another question: does statutory rape have an upper limit on age range? like would a relationship between two consenting individuals of fifty years apart still be statutory rape?

I think one partner needs to be under 18, while the other one is over. In some cases, I think there are exceptions when the older partner is less than 2 years older than the younger, but don't quote me on that.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Why would meeting an actor on a TV show be more improbable than meeting one particular celebrity?

Unless you mean meeting a person who embodies the characteristics of that TV character, in which case:

"No person can embody every characteristic of a fictional character. Fictional characters are by design narrowly-drawn and idealized. Meeting anyone with an equal lack of depth is far more unlikely than even running into Brad Pitt on the street and starting a romantic relationship; though highly improbable, marrying Brad Pitt is theoretically conceivable. However, individuals who idealize and sexualize fictional television characters inevitably set themselves up for disappointment because fantasy will never wholly reflect reality."

I think that's what you're trying to say... :/

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think one partner needs to be under 18, while the other one is over. In some cases, I think there are exceptions when the older partner is less than 2 years older than the younger, but don't quote me on that.
There are, but those laws are designed to cover situations where (usually) two minors get it on. We have icky feelings about prosecuting a 17-year-old guy who has a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl, or vice versa - and rightly so.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So I'm writing a paper (please ignore typos or grammatical errors, or don't actually feel free to correct them) and I wrote "the chance of anyone meeting her is expotentionaly less then someone who is meeting their celebrity, and the chance of them not being disappointed that this person does not live up to the image is even" (do I use less or more their I was thinking less as in less of a chance, but then I wondered if it wasn't more like more exponetially less of a chance)? it's probably less but I've confused myself.
I think it's "less". You could clarify by saying "less than the chance of someone meeting their favorite celebrity..."