• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When is it going too far?

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I work at the local WalMart as a cashier. A couple of weeks ago I heard tell that corporate wants to replace what cashiers (mostly female from my own experience) say now to something along the lines of "How may I be of service to you?" Now tell me that's not going to be taken the wrong way, especially by creeps that have nothing else on their mind except perhaps brutalizing a young woman after she gets off of work.

Honestly, I know that it's not appropriate, what they want us to say. The CSMs (customer service managers) at the store that I work at are smart and say they refuse to push this on us. And I- as well as several of my co-workers- absolutely refuse to say anything like that. So, what gives? When is it too much and going too far? What's up with corporate?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sounds like something cashiers of the colonial era would say. I vote nay. Saying a quick "hello" or "Good day, ma'am" Is PLENTY. Walmart cashiers have to be too fast to waste time with short chat. I almost never want to talk to cashiers aside a friendly "Thank you, have a nice day." because I'm getting my shit and getting out.

It's entirely illogical. Why would you say "How can I be of service to you?" when you are only there for a particular service? Obviously they have come to you to tender goods, which you were hired to accomplish. The whole sentence makes you seem silly.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like something cashiers of the colonial era would say. I vote nay. Saying a quick "hello" or "Good day, ma'am" Is PLENTY. Walmart cashiers have to be too fast to waste time with short chat. I almost never want to talk to cashiers aside a friendly "Thank you, have a nice day." because I'm getting my shit and getting out.

It's entirely illogical. Why would you say "How can I be of service to you?" when you are only there for a particular service? Obviously they have come to you to tender goods, which you were hired to accomplish. The whole sentence makes you seem silly.

Agreed. Though there are times when a customer comes over to one of us because we happen to be standing there with no one to tend to and will ask us where this or that is. Someone isn't using their head, possibly because it's too far up their own or someone else's arse. But you are right. A quick "hello" and "have a nice day" suffice.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I wonder if they bothered polling customers when they did this. I know I'd be pissed if I was in a long walmart line and the cashier was wasting valuable time chatting instead of bagging. I was a cashier as well, though not at walmart, and although it's not so difficult to operate a machine and talk at the same time, it just seemed out of place to have a conversation unless the customer initiated it.. at which point I simply kept it up until the transactions finished.

Walmart = Teh stupid when it comes to their employees. I know this all too well.

S

Sniffles

I don't quite understand what the issue is here. Is it the actual phrase you're opposed to, or just the thought of it leading to unnecessary chatter?

I certainly sympathise with the latter notion; I found it irritating at one job when they insisted we talk to the customers in conversations and engage in "suggestive buying"(ie suggesting items for them to buy).

My logic was thus: I have more than enough shit to do anyways, so I don't have time to engage in chit-chat. And I won't insult the customers by trying to make them buy things they didn't originally intend to buy. I hate it when they do it to me.

I also hate it when I'm barely in the door and they're already asking me if I need help on something.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's going along the right train of thought. I don't like the phrase. In this day and age, it could be taken way too out of context, though I question what context the uppers who thought of this 'genius' idea had in mind for it in the first place. And I despise it for the fact that if someone does use that phrase and the customer takes it wrong, not only could the cashier be in trouble for it, there's a chance that a customer might be perverted in their view of what the cashier is offering to them. Some will take it as a joke, and though that's annoying enough, there may be others who could possibly take it one step further. Like stalking. (It's happened to co-workers before for different reasons.) I wonder what was going through the head of whomever came up with this 'rule' and if they truly thought of the repurcussions. When is it going too far for coroporate (or management in general) to tell those beneath them what to do, especially if there's a chance it's going to put them in danger? There are deranged people out and about, and not in a good way. Like we're supposed to be the quiet little slaves and just nod and go along with whatever they tell us to do because they may have a superiority complex? I think not.

Edit: I'm not upset at you Peguy. The topic itself is what fires me up.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah. Just so I'm setting the record straight, because someone pointed this out to me, another phrase, which is a stronger innuendo, is "We're here to service you." :) Not a pleasant thing in my mind. Have at it, ladies and gents. *bows*

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ah. Just so I'm setting the record straight, because someone pointed this out to me, another phrase, which is a stronger innuendo, is "We're here to service you." :) Not a pleasant thing in my mind. Have at it, ladies and gents. *bows*

:yes: That is the phrase I thought would be taken out of context-- or could be. In this day and age, there are a lot of people who are perverse. Myself included, to an extent. When I first read this phrase I immediately thought of the sexual connotations it has.

Not to mention, it is rather old-fashioned and just doesn't sound right to say these days. If I were walking into one of those nostalgic [this is my word of the day, I've used it like four times :huh: ANYWAY--] candy stores in a small town with the brick cross-walks laid into the pavement...then maybe I would expect to hear something like that. Walking into a retail store, however, I'm fine with a 'Thank you, have a nice day'. It's short, to the point, and hell, I know why I'm at the register and I know why the cashier is there, as well. 'We're here to service you' seems redundant, apart from the sexual undertones it can carry-- like yes, I know you are. That is why you are standing here getting paid to do your job-- which is to help me, the customer, ring up my items so I can take them home. :shock:

It also gives me the vague notion of being referred to as some kind of automobile. I'm not in a shop looking to get my oil changed. I'm just trying to buy my shit and get out.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol Agreed. A lot of the upper management who don't seem to have a lot to do with any particular store don't seem to realize what it comes off sounding like. Not to mention, they don't seem to put themselves in the customer's position and think of how it sounds to them. These people are morons and need to beg put out of their misery. I really wish there were something to be done at the corporate level to wake them up to the fact that just because they come up with an idea doesn't make it gold.

G

Glycerine

I work at the local WalMart as a cashier. A couple of weeks ago I heard tell that corporate wants to replace what cashiers (mostly female from my own experience) say now to something along the lines of "How may I be of service to you?" Now tell me that's not going to be taken the wrong way, especially by creeps that have nothing else on their mind except perhaps brutalizing a young woman after she gets off of work.

Honestly, I know that it's not appropriate, what they want us to say. The CSMs (customer service managers) at the store that I work at are smart and say they refuse to push this on us. And I- as well as several of my co-workers- absolutely refuse to say anything like that. So, what gives? When is it too much and going too far? What's up with corporate?

I think understand what you mean. It seriously does sound like that phrase could be fuel for unneccessary sexual innuendos by a few perverted customers, especially in modern times. Not to be too crude but I could imagine a hooker saying that to her clients way before a WalMart employee saying that to customers.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
"Did you find everything you want?" has been asked of me sometimes, on my way out. If I catch a sales person's eye, they usually say "What are you looking for ? " "How may i be of service?" is a bit formal. I would imagine that the rule that would get women most into possible hassles with guys is where they tell you to look into their eyes and smile at the cash register. The people in the store who can point things out to me, if I'm lacking directions, are often not that easy to find. I would have no trouble if one came up to me and asked if I needed help.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Ah, this thread reminds me... I have been half-heartedly pretending to look for a job myself over the last couple of weeks since returning to the land of warm tea and drizzle amidst the worst recession we have had for years. Most of what little employment is currently available appears to comprise blah blah, facilitation, blah, customer service, blah whatever the hell those actually are. I seem indeed to have read something to the following effect any number of times:

Customer Servicer
Easi-Care Services are looking to recruit new Customer Servicers to take up various positions at our busy Service Centre in a discreet out of town location near Rutland.

This expansive and stimulating opportunity involves liaising extremely closely with our clients on a 1-1 basis, and using your own very personal set of Service skills to fully satisfy their individual requirements. You are also expected to be able to provide a confidential “in house” listening service for our clients in accordance with our continuous customer satisfaction and aftercare policy.
Hours of work are temporary/ongoing, with many nightshifts and other apparel available. Your work can be comfortably slotted in between other pressing commitments, providing you can be sufficiently flexible and accommodating.

No specific skills/experience are required, other than a resolute and unflinching commitment to the fluid dynamics of our Service process, and the ability to deal with all the ups and downs this entails. However, the role carries weighty responsibilities in addition to rewards, and to help you bear up under the strain, it would be to your advantage if you have an uninhibited and relaxed personality, with a laid back outlook and a firm grasp on the situation. You also need to have a very open style of personal presentation, and a natural flair for non-verbal communication.

Easi-Care is committed to developing diversity, and particularly welcomes applications from those with a chequered employment history, and who have few or no formal qualifications. We are also more than happy to consider employing immigrants, particularly those who have had difficulty finding work elsewhere because of passport and visa issues. We supply “protected” accommodation for all foreign national employees, and can assure them that they can begin work for us immediately while we take all passport, documentation, and visa issues completely out of their hands.

Please note that this post as advertised for a Female Service Provider is exempt from current Seual Discrimination legislation due to the personal requirements of the role. However, we are willing to consider male applicants who have undergone gender reassignment if they are flexible enough to accommodate our requirements. In addition, certain male positions will open up in 6-9 months as part of our planned “back door” recruitment policy aimed at developing greater Choice, and entrance opportunities for all.

Easi-Care -“Giving the Customer more than Lip Service”​

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
:shock: I see a lawsuit waiting to happen.. "How can I be of service to you??" Say what?! :wacko:

.. then again, we constantly get bombarded by advertisements on TV/print media with sexual innuendos in our daily lives anyway, i guess..

I can only imagine someone having to say that to their uncles/grandpa.. :sick:

I highly doubt CSMs will force employees to say that.. I agree. Sounds illogical. not unless if upper-management is intentionally doing this to get rid of lower management. Bureaucracy.. Hang in there! :huh:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I'm confused. I don't see anything dirty about service. If anyone is dirty-minded enough to read that into it, then they would probably read it into almost anything.

I think they're asking them to say it that way so that it sounds like the company values it's customers so much that they make them feel empowered at the expense of the employees (by making them use deferring language that paints them in a subservient position to the customer). If you have a problem with it, you should complain that it's demoralizing because it paints the employee in a servile role.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
walmart is a terrible corporation >=0
ew dont get me started on walmart :(

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I spent a lot of time as a sales person/customer service and as a mystery shopper. This really doesn't sound like a big deal to me at all. The sad truth is that most people won't say it anyway, no matter what they tell you to say.

Once I was talking to my sister about how mystery shoppers have to look for specific things that people say and do. She told me that she didn't say what they told her to answer the phone with at the Dr's she works for because it was too long and no one wanted to listen to it. :shock:

Companies usually do a lot of research on stuff like this. They probably found that this phrase had the most positive reactions to it.

Maybe you could file a complaint with walmart but I see no problem saying "How can I be of service?" I don't think someone who is going to molest an employee after work is going to do it because of a phrase a checkout person has to say.

So, no, I don't see the same concern. Sorry.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I'm confused. I don't see anything dirty about service. If anyone is dirty-minded enough to read that into it, then they would probably read it into almost anything.

Meh, there's no reason to give them an excuse for their idiocy though, is there?
I think they're asking them to say it that way so that it sounds like the company values it's customers so much that they make them feel empowered at the expense of the employees (by making them use deferring language that paints them in a subservient position to the customer). If you have a problem with it, you should complain that it's demoralizing because it paints the employee in a servile role.

Wal-mart, concerned about making its employees feel serville? :rofl1: That's a good one, thanks!

More seriously, though, the only thing that a company like that is likely to be scared of is the prospect of potential (-ly sucessful) lawsuits. One has to speak to these (probably -STJ) types in language they understand in order to achieve anything; moral arguments are not going to have too much effect unless there is at least an implied threat of consequences to follow. And the prospect of sexual discrimination cases would make a pretty loud noise compared to a complaint about them doing something which is quite natural to their organisational modus operandi in any case, and is not likely to be breaking any laws.

Elaur - Yay for corporate mind control! :cheers: