• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coursera certificates, are they worth it?

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I took a poetry class that I found on Coursera, and I aced it so any insights into how much value actually buying the certificate has? My debate about buying it is that a poetry class won't mean much on my resume, but there are other classes I want to try that might look more "valuable" so I wouldn't mind shelling out money for them. I've read those things Coursera says about how a % of people got a promotion and yadda yadda by taking the course, but does anyone actually have any experience with that?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I have read, they are an extra boost to your resume, but not a substitute for traditional education on a resume.

So it probably doesn’t hurt to add to a resume if the course you did is specific to the field to which you are applying, and it might show to a potential employer that you took the time and initiative to boost your knowledge in a particular area. You were willing to pay to hone your knowledge and skills and I would think that ought to say something to a hiring director or HR rep

Sounds kind of like the slight boost you get picking up skill magazines in Fallout games. It doesn’t level you up completely but it definitely gives you a useful edge and is worth it

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not to be a poor sport, but probably nothing? Ive personally never heard of it before, and it might some new age shit that they are pushing to make you feel more important than you are. But as others have said, resume resume resume.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
if it enriches you personally, its not a waste. But if you're only doing for a percentage in advertising...Arbitrary% of success stories are just advertising techniques. Is it 98% true 2% false? or does the percentage of success depend on other arbitrary factors? Par example: They say in sales 100% can be 100% successful if they put in 110% of the effort. Stick to the script and success is guaranteed by the law of averages...But... There are other factors to consider because at the end of the day a resume is just like a permanent record in school. An intangible gatekeeping concept that means only as much as the people who agree it means anything agree it means. :shrug:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Oh my god, I've spent half my life doing simulations for money

I wish someone half as good as me has done the covid simulations we rely upon