User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Default Random All about Academic life Discussion Thread

This is the place to put anything you have in mind about academic life like, opinion, review, testimonies, information, critique, lecture, assignment, grading, research, finance related: tuition, scholarship, experience about academic life at all level. If you are are a prospective student who has something to discuss or a graduate who is thinking about going back to school again, or you are already graduate who only wanted to share your past academic experience, or you are are a current student who want to share something about your academic life. You are all welcomed to share in this thread.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Have you ever witnessed your university student acquaintances sharing their living place together?
    When I was a university student, I had three male acquaintances that did so. They rented a house with three bedrooms, one kitchen,a bathroom, and a living room. They must have spent much less because the rental cost must have also been shared among three of them, that may have been dramatically reduced to only one third of the full rental price for each. I was thinking that I wanted to do the same also so that the spending on rental cost will be more efficient but predict actual finding the willing partner (s) is probably not as easy as coming up with the plan.
    Last edited by typologyenthusiast; 11-18-2020 at 12:31 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

I once assumed a student could be what in their dream of by being educated in university while it is actually not really guaranteed. Like," those who want to be an engineer must enroll in faculty of engineering", whereas after graduation, engineering graduates still have to apply for a job in engineering field that may not be successfully landed. Even after being successfully accepted, whether they can stay in it or not still depends on many things. This probably only applies for special education like military academy.
    Last edited by typologyenthusiast; 05-04-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Vibe Curator & Nap King Burning Paradigm's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    739 so/sp

I'm really excited to start graduate school, tbh. It still feels surreal that I got into a top program for what I want to do that I keep wanting to pinch myself. I just hope everything returns to semi-normal by the time I start in the fall.
    True peace is the knowledge of what we can control and acceptance of what we cannot.

Likes Methylene liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

I was thinking the faculty may be oblivious about statistical consultant practice and the academic cheating by student who use their service, that happens in Indonesia link. But I question myself How come?; Now that they have website, they are easily found online. Perhaps It is under the government authority ; not University to ban or not to ban statistical consultant business operation, but, how about the student?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Academic Cheating Control and Identification
    In elementary, mid school, and highschool, university, cheating may happen in a more controlled environment, like classroom. A common practice that I have seen is that they may use proctor to oversee student during an exam. But In research paper assignment, cheating happens in environment beyond their control. Although they may be well informed of statistician practices who offers service to student researcher, A University can’t just order to close their business.
    Identification also becomes harder. In school, as far as I remember, formula cheat sheet, text book hidden in a drawer desk are traditionally used as tool for cheating student. Students who use those during an exam can be identified as cheater if caught in the act along with those tools as concrete evidence. But how to identify a student researcher who pays statistician, claimed it as their own work and reported it to their supervisor who then assess them based on it is probably a problem not yet solved.
    False Input for academic assessment
    By submitting others work but claiming as if their own, Cheater Student provides their assessor with a false input for academic assessment. When it is actually others work, unaware assessor may assume it is the work of student whose name written on their exam paper, homework, assignment, or any other form of assessment basis.
    Students that don't want to study

Students themselves won’t undergo the learning process as what they are supposed to as student, when in fact they ask someone else either voluntarily or professionally to do some or all their academic work (e.g statistical analysis to statistician). Showing this behavior may signify they actually don’t want to be a student.

Because of the practice, it is plausible when people are suspicious of Indonesian social science graduates that their research paper may be partly assisted by paid statisticians. Because of this also, I myself have lost confidence to any social science major graduate from Indonesia in any level of education. This also makes me somewhat reluctant to continue my study in Indonesia worrying that they might be stereo-typically suspicious on me as cheater student also if I did. I am looking for better study environment.
    Does this happen also in Other countries?
    I am curious in other countries, whether statistician who offers professional help for social science student researcher is also available, hence opens the opportunity for them to cheat like in Indonesia

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Plan To Cheat Since Enrolling is Likely
    With the availability of paid statistician who targets them as their market in Indonesia, indonesian graduate student who decides to continue their study in Indonesia, is likely to conceive a plan that the statistical part of their research is getting done by paid statistician. They are perhaps also certain that they can get it only in Indonesia. They may not be motivated to go overseas because this kind of statistician may not be available there hence professional help when they experience difficulty with statistics in their research might not be available for them.
    After all We need at least a person who acts entrepreneurially so that a statistics consulting micro business can be set up, hence made available while the kind of person may not be always available everywhere. In other words, from academic assessment perspective , They probably already plan to cheat when researching since enrolling.

Reason To seek Help in Statistics

AFAIK, in my major (Business) curriculum, only 6 credits statistics are available , while in statistics major is almost the whole credits (typically 144) for bachelor degree. I am informed that Other social science major (like economics) study some statistics also but still not as many credits as student in statistics major. Although their research will highly likely use some statistics, their academic background is not as strong as those student who graduate from statistics major. This is probably the main reason of why social science student can feel lack of self confidence to do their academic work that related to statistics themselves hence wants other’s with stronger academic background in statistics to help. They perhaps expect to find their man in the statistician entrepreneur.
    Last edited by typologyenthusiast; 05-12-2021 at 08:58 PM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Fresh Graduates might get bad potential employer review

My father told me that He when acted as hiring manager, before he retired, He sometimes raised interview questions that related to research paper to university fresh graduate that applied job in the company he worked for. He wanted to check whether the applicant himself did the research paper or he could have asked someone else. Applicant who weren’t able to provide sensible explanation to their own research paper are questionable: how come this applicant can't explain his own work?. He likely rejected such applicants by usually telling them to wait up to 2 weeks to wait for news from us.
    Last edited by typologyenthusiast; 05-13-2021 at 09:19 PM.