• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best degree to get for working abroad?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wanna go back to school, but I really don't know what field to get into. Which degree is the most valuable globally?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wanna go back to school, but I really don't know what field to get into. Which degree is the most valuable globally?

Business is always a good degree. Many colleges have global business majors you can do for an emphasis on more foreign relations.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Valuable in I assume employment and $$$ prospects?

Business, nursing, and engineering come to mind.

EDIT: I didn't read the thread title. Nursing might be more difficult to take with you globally, what with different licenses and certifications and all, but I stand by business and engineering.

Also, I'm studying public health with the intent of doing something globally. Public health is increasingly valuable as well, both at the bachelor's and master's level.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
Any STEM career really. Just don't go into feminism, sociology, history, English literature...

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Business is always a good degree. Many colleges have global business majors you can do for an emphasis on more foreign relations.

This might actually be the most flexible, as it can lead to many interesting career paths. Ill look into it.

ygolo

My termites win
This might actually be the most flexible, as it can lead to many interesting career paths. Ill look into it.

There is some analysis done based on 2019 data from payscale:
10 of the Best Degrees to Graduate with in 2019 | Top Universities

It does also keep track of the meaning people derive from the work as well as the pay.

A business major could mean a lot of things. Applied economics and management, operations research, actuarial mathematics, and business analysis would all fit, depending on the institution(and they are all in the top 10 in that list). Also, accounting and financial planning are options that appeal to many.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Think less which field than which pathway you take to get work abroad. The Foreign Service, for instance, will give you a range of options in terms of work, and is probably a safer route than a lot of local opportunities. If you start with a US-based org or agency (like the State Department), then you'll have an easier time identifying local opportunities in country. The goal is to have a consistent source of income while living abroad.

Another route is to do remote work with a US company. A lot of tech companies are increasingly virtual, if not 100% remote. As a result, you could probably get a US job and live wherever. It's a lot easier than trying to get work as a foreign national with no existing connections to that country.