• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm Going Back To School

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I took my first practice GRE thus week. Got 55th percentile on quantitative reasoning and 95th on verbal. Its a stunning difference from what I got on standardized tests when I was young. I always did the best on math and reading/language were my worst scores. I think as an adultt, reading comprehension is something you practice constantly. My tutor says I should not do anything to prepare for verbal at the moment and relearn all that middle school math, algebra and geometry which I have long forgotten. It is coming back bit by bit.... He also said I'm unusually motivated :laugh:.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I took my first practice GRE thus week. Got 55th percentile on quantitative reasoning and 95th on verbal. Its a stunning difference from what I got on standardized tests when I was young. I always did the best on math and reading/language were my worst scores. I think as an adultt, reading comprehension is something you practice constantly. My tutor says I should not do anything to prepare for verbal at the moment and relearn all that middle school math, algebra and geometry which I have long forgotten. It is coming back bit by bit.... He also said I'm unusually motivated :laugh:.

I am also studying for the GRE. I am hoping to go to school to study how trauma affects personality development.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am also studying for the GRE. I am hoping to go to school to study how trauma affects personality development.

Cool! What are you doing to prepare? For me, its almost become like a job since I don't have much to do at work anymore.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool! What are you doing to prepare? For me, its almist become luke a job since I don't have much to do at work anymore.

I have some old math textbooks and solutions manuals that I am working through. The Wolfram alpha site (free or paid) can also be useful to show step-by-step directions on how to solve problems.

Also, for the psychology GRE, I am just reading through a couple intro to psych textbooks.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought I would give a little update here. I just took Python and Statistics in DePaul 's program but am switching to UC Berkeley which I technically started at today. I may take classes at both schools to some degree. DePaul has an excellent program as well and in some respects goes deeper in certain areas. There are some really smart people at this school. Its a little intimidating. I did get a 97 and 98 ag be ra he at the two DePaul classes, so I think I have be still got it.
I dumped the GRE because I got in at Berkeley. It was good practice and refresher for math though. I have to study linear algebra and calculus on my own though which I started on a couple weeks ago. Linear algebra is kind of a drag but the other stuff is fun. Looking forward to it!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought I would give a little update here. I just took Python and Statistics in DePaul 's program but am switching to UC Berkeley which I technically started at today. I may take classes at both schools to some degree. DePaul has an excellent program as well and in some respects goes deeper in certain areas. There are some really smart people at this school. Its a little intimidating. I did get a 97 and 98 in the two DePaul classes, so I think I have be still got it.
I dumped the GRE because I got in at Berkeley. It was good practice and refresher for math though. I have to study linear algebra and calculus on my own though which I started on a couple weeks ago. Linear algebra is kind of a drag but the other stuff is fun. Looking forward to it!

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hah! I just finished my second semester of graduate psychology at Harvard Extension School. The first semester I attended for the in-person, but then COVID happened. It's been a mixed bag, especially with the remote-only post COVID. My second class was psychometrics and it was both a ton of work and lacked great teaching. Still, I did write a personality test, collect data, and analyze it, so not a total loss. Good to know how such things are evaluated in the academic psychology world.

I think I'm taking next semester off. My first graduate class was on implicit bias, which turned out to be super interesting and more topical that I expected (given BLM protests that happened after my course). But psychometrics was a ton of work, lacked great teaching, and skipped lightly over the parts I was most interested in. Granted, I'm not going into IO psychology (unlike most of my classmates) but would have appreciated a bit more focus on theory and the science behind things.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's the syllabus? Most "corporate" data science is just slapping regressions and classification algorithms on to datasets which you can learn to do in 3 months with one book.

The good stuff is in ML research.

I thought this was a good explanation on data science and how it's different than business intelligence. As an aside, there are at least a couple classes on machine learning in this program I'm in that I plan to take.

Data Science vs Business Intelligence: same but completely different | by Maxim Scherbak | Towards Data Science

Russellthomas

MBTI Type
Brig
Enneagram
I'm still going back to school each year - good luck to us. Motivation counts a lot, naturally. But the most effective, I think, is to access everyday edubirdie and repeat the material. Small steps, but done day by day - this is the success key! https://ca.edubirdie.com/english-help is my helper for any algebra, geometry, or english help; exercise. Another tip for your homework improvement would be to consult more sources because, in this way, you will get reliable information. Good luck, and don't lose the motivation! - You can be the best!

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I was going to go back to study maths and statistics in order to become a data scientist, but I've decided against it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As of today, I'm 2/3 done with the Berkeley program. So far, all As (one A+ in Machine Learning and an A- in a stats class). I'm taking a course on Natural Language Processing at the moment. 55% of the grade is the final project, which I believe I'm going to do on machine learning algorithms to predict personality type based on text analysis. I've been reading several papers and I'm not sure how effective it actually is. There seems to be some evidence that it can be used to predict Big 5 though less evidence that it works for MBTI and I can find nothing on Enneagram. We had a program on the forum that would analyze your facebook, twitter, tumblr or forum posts so it would be kind of like that. That program used an API from IBM Watson, which they unfortunately discontinued. I'd be coding the machine learning stuff myself in this case and using more modern algorithms, like transformers to do it. I haven't decided for sure, but I've been interested in trying to do this for many years. Several of the papers I've read have indicated that twitter posts don't provide good input for this kind of thing. That mirrors what I saw when we had the program on the site. It seemed to work very poorly for Twitter and Facebook posts, which are often quite lacking on content. It worked much better on the forum and in Tumblr.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As of today, I'm 2/3 done with the Berkeley program. So far, all As (one A+ in Machine Learning and an A- in a stats class). I'm taking a course on Natural Language Processing at the moment. 55% of the grade is the final project, which I believe I'm going to do on machine learning algorithms to predict personality type based on text analysis. I've been reading several papers and I'm not sure how effective it actually is. There seems to be some evidence that it can be used to predict Big 5 though less evidence that it works for MBTI and I can find nothing on Enneagram. We had a program on the forum that would analyze your facebook, twitter, tumblr or forum posts so it would be kind of like that. That program used an API from IBM Watson, which they unfortunately discontinued. I'd be coding the machine learning stuff myself in this case and using more modern algorithms, like transformers to do it. I haven't decided for sure, but I've been interested in trying to do this for many years. Deveral of the papers I've read have indicated that twitter posts don't provide good input for this kind of thing. That mirrors what I saw when we had the program on the site. It seemed to work very poorly for Twitter and Facebook posts, which are often quite lacking on content. It worked much better on the forum and in Tumblr.
When I was applying to my Master's, I ended up not needing the GRE because I got accepted into a program at a school I wanted that didn't require it. I don't work in it directly but I think it's helped me get my current job.

I've been doing some of the same things just with different kinds of data.

morganwall33

Hi there. First of all, let me congratulate you for deciding to return to school, that's a big step already. When I came back to nursing school, I found these nursing essay samples https://www.nursingpaper.com/examples/medicare-essay/ shared by students that have become my secret weapon. They've taught me how to craft persuasive arguments and back them up with credible sources. Empowering each other through knowledge-sharing is what makes us stronger!