• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Letters from employers to essential employees

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
anyone know anything of this? I've heard of this happening to 2 different people. They were given letters by their jobs that basically say they're essential incase they get pulled over.

I don't know how true it is because i've not seen anything official

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Better to be safe than sorry, I guess.

But I haven't yet heard of people getting pulled over. I mean, there are legitimate reasons to be out in the majority of states (grocery shopping for example), so I can't imagine the police just pulling someone over for driving in some state (because that would be a LOT of people, still, out for legitimate reasons, and it puts the police at risk) unless there is a total lockdown, and then how would people get the things they need?

Maybe they need a letter to get into their large workplace, to prove they were selected to keep showing for work?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Better to be safe than sorry, I guess.

But I haven't yet heard of people getting pulled over. I mean, there are legitimate reasons to be out in the majority of states (grocery shopping for example), so I can't imagine the police just pulling someone over for driving in some state (because that would be a LOT of people, still, out for legitimate reasons, and it puts the police at risk) unless there is a total lockdown, and then how would people get the things they need?

Maybe they need a letter to get into their large workplace, to prove they were selected to keep showing for work?

yeah I'm not sure either. I question it, because i've not heard from someone who actually has received a letter but rather a neighbor of a friend or a friend of a friend

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
anyone know anything of this? I've heard of this happening to 2 different people. They were given letters by their jobs that basically say they're essential incase they get pulled over.

I don't know how true it is because i've not seen anything official

The nurses and essential service folks in my union are getting special badges in case they are pulled over or questioned about being out. I have a letter from the Mutual Aid org I'm delivering food and meds for too but it's not really aimed at getting pulled over as much as the areas I'm working in already have a big police presence and it's likely they will ask me what I'm doing.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
The nurses and essential service folks in my union are getting special badges in case they are pulled over or questioned about being out. I have a letter from the Mutual Aid org I'm delivering food and meds for too but it's not really aimed at getting pulled over as much as the areas I'm working in already have a big police presence and it's likely they will ask me what I'm doing.

yeah, my mom's work received letters. what worries me is how am i gonna get all the way to nashville to get my shot. my mom suggested i message the doctor and get a letter

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My brother, who works for target, got a letter last week apparently. I think it's for a 'just in case' reason, if things would come to that. Personally I don't see how it would be managed, given shoppers would still be going out to purchase said essentials.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My brother, who works for target, got a letter last week apparently. I think it's for a 'just in case' reason, if things would come to that. Personally I don't see how it would be managed, given shoppers would still be going out to purchase said essentials.
There was a Wisconsin message saying only "heads of households" can go grocery shopping. I have no idea how they would enforce that. I think they don't want each of the kids running in to buy another pack of toilet paper? IDK

I heard that Wisconsin is only allowing essential services and traffic starting today, but I also don't know how it's reinforced.

Wisconsin governor issues order prohibiting non-essential business and travel

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Memphis isn't gonna enforce it. so that's good at least or maybe that's bad all i know is i'm no longer anxious about getting to my appointment

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got a letter today just for this.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I got one too, I keep it in my car.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There was a Wisconsin message saying only "heads of households" can go grocery shopping. I have no idea how they would enforce that. I think they don't want each of the kids running in to buy another pack of toilet paper? IDK

I heard that Wisconsin is only allowing essential services and traffic starting today, but I also don't know how it's reinforced.
Who the heck qualifies as a "head of household"? I don't see how it helps anyone to insist that a parent go grocery shopping vs. a college age child, especially if the parent has more obligations, i.e. teleworking or seeing to younger children. Stores trying to limit how much of something a customer can buy also are not taking account that a customer may be shopping for two homebound neighbors in addition to themselves. Are they supposed to make three separate trips for this?

Seriously, the people coming up with these rules don't seem to be using their heads sometimes.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who the heck qualifies as a "head of household"? I don't see how it helps anyone to insist that a parent go grocery shopping vs. a college age child, especially if the parent has more obligations, i.e. teleworking or seeing to younger children. Stores trying to limit how much of something a customer can buy also are not taking account that a customer may be shopping for two homebound neighbors in addition to themselves. Are they supposed to make three separate trips for this?

Seriously, the people coming up with these rules don't seem to be using their heads sometimes.

I think the real purpose is asking just a single person to go into the store, rather than taking the entire family. at least here people are just flocking into stores in groups...you know...like the guidelines say not to do.

the other issue with the groceries I feel. my family usually buys food for up to 2 weeks anyway and its hard for us to do with the way things are set up, but also my grandpa sees people literally shove stuff in their cart, and call their friends saying its in stock so to come get it. before restrictions, people buying 3 carts of stuff. Its kind of hard to NOT limit it because we have complete fucking idiots keeping the needy FROM getting it.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I dont know why they just dont have folks call ahead to the store and let the employees bag it up and deliver it to the curb. They were experimenting with curb side pick up here for a while. I would think this would be the kind of thing places drill for :shrug:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont know why they just dont have folks call ahead to the store and let the employees bag it up and deliver it to the curb. They were experimenting with curb side pick up here for a while. I would think this would be the kind of thing places drill for :shrug:

Some of the places here have curbside pickup, and I guess it can work well at some places, but here the problem with it right now is that when you go to order online, the sites list a bunch of stuff that isn't actually in stock. And at least one grocery here hasn't been able to place orders for themselves for several weeks. So you could go online right now, find the earliest pickup time is next Monday, put the stuff in your cart (which may or may not currently be on the shelves), then they don't even see your order until Monday a few hours before you're supposed to pick it up.

The system would be so incredibly useful and helpful in this situation if it worked well. But it does not. I do wish someone would fix it. In addition to the above, if we could just prepay for say, toilet paper, have it set aside for when we go to the store and get it then, instead of a situation where it is all cleared out 15 minutes after they open... by a crowd of 50... when we are supposed to be avoiding others as much as possible? *bangs head on desk*

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
Well it happened to me today. Florida has been resisting a quarantine, but yesterday the Governor instituted one. Went to work today and the first thing they did was hand these letters out; they told us to use our employee badges with the letter as proof if we get pulled over. Though my work itself isn't "essential", I do work for an aerospace company that has defense contracts, so everyone at the company has been deemed essential. It's fine by me though; I don't want to get laid off in a gigantic recession anyway. The company stopped hiring and commercial airlines are a large part of the business that has reduced their order volume and I wonder if layoffs are coming soon...

I hate this virus shit. I read the other day that unemployment has skyrocketed because of the quarantines. And I know why we are having them, but I'm not sure the economic fallout is worth the human lives saved...yes, I said it, and I'm an asshole for saying it and I'm sure I'm wrong, but I do wonder. I just hope this doesn't go on for many months. But I think it will. One long quarantine won't even be enough if just "one" person is able to pass it on after. Cause not enough people seem to have developed immunity for herd immunity to take effect.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I agree. It seems flimsy as it's vague and there's a hole where a college age child might not be believed to be the head of their own household. (If they're living alone or something similar.)