• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any expat stories?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I'm mainly starting this thread to glean some information from my fellow U.S. citizens who have ever lived and worked abroad, in the E.U. to be more specific here.

How was the process to obtain a work permit (I think this is referred to as a "D Visa"??) or the process of establishing residency (is a separate visa/permit required)? Also, did you find there to be a clear path to permanent residency or dual citizenship? What's your take on the entire process?

If you may, please offer some details about what your line of work is. I would also greatly appreciate any tidbits or intel on industries that seem to be expat-friendly, how self-employment works, and what the general sentiment seems to be towards foreign workers - again, particularly U.S.-born workers.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is an interesting topic, I've actually never seen this get brought up before on TypoC.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
LOL, just seeing this post-(really during) COVID. Welp, guess the topic of this thread is a bit improbable / fantastic right about now :rofl1:... Oh boy...