• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Breaking Out of Social Work?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey guys! It's been a while. Quick update on my life - I've been working in the field of child welfare for almost 4 years now after graduating with my BS in psychology and I just got into grad school to get my master's degree in mental health counseling (so I can eventually get my LMHC). I plan on working while attending school because I can't afford to go to school full time, but I'm ready for a much needed career change and need some advice on where to look.

I loved working with youth in foster care. I felt like I was really empowering them, making therapeutic relationships with them, and giving them the confidence to get their lives together. But working there was SO underpaid (I was only getting $36k and the only way that was remotely livable was living with 3 other roommates). The hours were crazy, as there were multiple occasions I was at a hospital until 1 AM with a child voicing suicidal thoughts. I knew if I kept working there I would never be able to manage school on top of that. So I turned to preventive services where I worked with families to help prevent their children from being placed in the foster care system in the first place. However, I'm realizing that came at the cost of doing what I really loved, which was counseling and doing work around clients' behaviors and emotions. Now I'm a pure social worker, mostly working with the families (not with a parent or child individually) on referring them to the right medical services they need. And while I'm making more money, I'm still basically living paycheck to paycheck without really saving any money because I moved in with my boyfriend to a nicer area of the city. Plus, in the grand scheme of things it's still a meager amount of money to live off of ($42k). I get to work from home 3 days a week because my office is far out in another borough, but I find that flexibility isn't worth the small wage and the stress that comes with knowing I'm potentially liable for these medically fragile families. So I'm realizing this job is not going to be sustainable (emotionally and physically) to get through grad school either.

I want to be somewhere where the hours are more solid like a 9-5 and also that pays AT LEAST $50k so I can start putting more money in my savings account. But because child welfare is such an underfunded industry, I know it's not worth looking for anymore positions there with the experience that I've had. But the problem is I feel I've boxed myself into social work and don't know who else will take me going forward. So basically I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on where I could look for new job opportunities with my job experience and level of education. Thanks in advance to whoever reads all this lol :blush:

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You might try looking into schools or hospitals. I know you need specific certifications to work in schools as a social worker or counselor, but depending on where you live you might be able to earn decent money working as a school paraprofessional while you're getting your masters. The hours would also be much better and you'd still be working with kids.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Unfortunately, I have no advice.

I just wanted to say that the way you guys are treated is awful. What you do is greatly needed, admirable work and it’s greatly under appreciated.

Good luck.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Best of luck.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You might try looking into schools or hospitals. I know you need specific certifications to work in schools as a social worker or counselor, but depending on where you live you might be able to earn decent money working as a school paraprofessional while you're getting your masters. The hours would also be much better and you'd still be working with kids.

I have thought about schools actually. I think my main reservation with them is that NYC public schools are horribly organized so I didn't want to subject myself to that, but maybe I'm being too picky since child welfare isn't much better lol. If they offer more money I think that's what I'm most concerned about, although I'm doubtful haha. I'll still definitely check out some positions though to see what's out there.

Also it's not necessarily that I liked working with kids more (when I get my LMHC I'm hoping to work with adults), but the downfall of my current job compared to my last is that now I have to communicate on a group level more and I can't focus on individual clients as much because I have to tend to the whole family unit. Although working with kids did feel very fulfilling. Thank you for the help!

Unfortunately, I have no advice.

I just wanted to say that the way you guys are treated is awful. What you do is greatly needed, admirable work and it’s greatly under appreciated.

Good luck.

Best of luck.

Thank you guys :cry::heart: