• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ways to explain being an English Major???

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
How about providing them with examples of renowned English Lit majors who've accomplished something based on the skills they gleaned from their major?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
There's always Garrison Keillor... ;) I really should get a P.O.E.M. shirt...

And here's a list, but I don't think it matters: Famous English Majors

Edit: That list is stupid because it lists "Bill Shakespeare." Stupid! Another list offered up Hank Paulson, which might explain the state of our economy. ;) (JK, it's more complicated than that)

Seriously, I'm with everyone else who says that you shouldn't have to defend your major. I do think that an English major is less rigorous than lots of majors, but so is a degree in business or communications (which are supposed to be "useful"). And it's kind of cool that you can get an English major and take a variety of directions--teaching, marketing, editing, writing, etc. I was an English major for two reasons: I wanted to teach high school, and that was the subject I felt I'd excel at the job with; and I liked reading and writing in depth. I took on a religious studies minor because I loved reading and writing in depth about religion. Is it going to get me a job? It is unlikely. Do I feel smarter and more enriched for it? Definitely.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hahah. My friend (who was an English/Literature major) was a lot more sensible and critical than some of the PhDs in Biochem whom I know. Also, she wrote a lot better. Seriously. You shouldn't have to explain your major to anyone. I saw her major as an opportunity to pick her mind and connect with her about mutual loves/interests... not as a means to put her down so that I could feel better about my more "useful" (debatable) degree.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
UserHerName,I reread your post this moring and appreciate the ironic truth in it.

Yes, having the availability of the world's literaure at one's recall enriches experience and meaning in life and gives a person resources to draw upon for life view and ideas.

It's interesting to me that all those things I studied can be returned to and change in meaning and depth to me with time.

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
INFJ's and INFP's are the best writers, innately.
Im envious of that ability. Even though its hard to make money at it...

INTJ's and INTP's are good at writing about logic, and theoretical abstract stuff.

Thats what I think.

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
My guidance counselor at OSU, is an English major, w/ her masters in creative writing. She writes on the side, and fufills her passion that way. She seems kind of independent, didn't want to teach after trying that, or write for other people. She wanted to write her own stuff. She had a lot of cat pictures and flower art work on the walls.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INFJ's and INFP's are the best writers, innately.
Im envious of that ability. Even though its hard to make money at it...

INTJ's and INTP's are good at writing about logic, and theoretical abstract stuff.

Thats what I think.

Depends on what you say is good writing :). But I find that INFJs (socionics INFps) often go into the writing field and are able to do quite well. One thing I like about their writing is that, at least with Terry Brooks, it isn't too long-winded, but he seems to be able to pack down what he wants to say into fewer words than an ST like J. R. R. Tolkien would. Reading TB is kind of like chewing on a starburst candy or something. It just explodes in your mouth in a sensation of fruity goodness. ENTPs can be good at writing on an artistic level too, although they seem to enjoy creating interleaving systems even in artistic situations, kind of like how David Eddings does in his series. The Belgariad, the Malloreon, etc.

When an Si & Ne person writes, it has a script-like sort of tone, detailed and intricate, and subtle, so you have to read into it. When you have an Ni person writing it's kind of like the words jump out at you in a burst of color.

Usehername

On a mission
Yes and no?

Writing is a skill. Not everyone can be fantastic at it. Some people lack the ability to draw in a reader, no matter how much they try. Voice in writing is everything, it's what personifies a piece of literature, and if someone has not found their voice, it doesn't matter how much 'discipline' they have had, it just won't be interesting.

What does take discipline is the perseverance of keeping oneself motivated to write despite the downfalls a writer is bound to come across, especially in freelance work.

I didn't mean "discipline" in the sense of "hard work" I meant it in the sense of it sitting next to History, Physics, etc. It's not something you become "skillful" at in the sense that you learn how to tee off with your driver and you learn how to put and once you gather those skills you can go to any golf course in the world and apply them. Writing is a discipline. It's not one of those, "I've mastered the skill, so now I can apply it everywhere" things. Some people write fantastic essays in college but don't know how to communicate effectively through written text in memos/reports, etc.

It's also a really unique discipline: how do we know centuries upon centuries of history? By written texts. One's ability to communicate in writing facilitates the existence of other disciplines such as history.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I didn't mean "discipline" in the sense of "hard work" I meant it in the sense of it sitting next to History, Physics, etc. It's not something you become "skillful" at in the sense that you learn how to tee off with your driver and you learn how to put and once you gather those skills you can go to any golf course in the world and apply them. Writing is a discipline. It's not one of those, "I've mastered the skill, so now I can apply it everywhere" things. Some people write fantastic essays in college but don't know how to communicate effectively through written text in memos/reports, etc.

It's also a really unique discipline: how do we know centuries upon centuries of history? By written texts. One's ability to communicate in writing facilitates the existence of other disciplines such as history.

I see, I understand now...it would help if one would elaborate their meaning to avoid people like me possibly jumping to conclusions :blush:

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Seriously, I'm with everyone else who says that you shouldn't have to defend your major. I do think that an English major is less rigorous than lots of majors, but so is a degree in business or communications (which are supposed to be "useful"). And it's kind of cool that you can get an English major and take a variety of directions--teaching, marketing, editing, writing, etc. I was an English major for two reasons: I wanted to teach high school, and that was the subject I felt I'd excel at the job with; and I liked reading and writing in depth. I took on a religious studies minor because I loved reading and writing in depth about religion. Is it going to get me a job? It is unlikely. Do I feel smarter and more enriched for it? Definitely.

Seriously I think we can take it further than that. How about enforcing some boundaries with people who question your choices? It's your major. There are too many people getting into other people's stuff without being asked.

If the OP was "I have an English major and I don't know what to do with it" that would be one thing. But the problem seems to be meddlng friends who are judging why someone would major in English.

By the way, Eileen, your last paragraph is spot on and the last sentence is the most important.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I majored in English and I'd do it again because it's the most awesomest major! I'm totally liberal arts and if it wasn't English it would've been something even worse like Sociology or Anthropology. This happened more when I was fresh out of college, but when I told people I was an English major they'd say "oh so you're an English teacher?":doh: When most people think of English they think literature, but I really didn't like the literature part I enjoy the rhetoric and language parts. I use it as a moment to educate people so I really don't get offended or feel like I have to justify myself. I understand that it's frustrating to have people question why you majored in what you majored. You do what you want to do with your education.

BUT, I went through the trouble of translating it to make myself more marketable to employers. When people ask(ed) I tell them what I can do with English.

Critical thinking skills/Information synthesis is the my most often cited defense of an English major. Yeah, but what does that mean? Say I'm writing a grant proposal because my organization wants funding for a project. I'm reading news articles, clinical studies, surveys/evaluations and I think to myself hmmm, there's a need for XYZ group to be informed in this topic area (after you identify a common thread throughout what information you have), and then you figure out how to make that happen. You write your thesis about why you need funding in such and such area. You identify your target audience and any peripheral audiences. You support it with the data you've found that says there's a need. You tell them what you intend to do with the money and how it will positively impact the intended recipients, or your expected results. It's a bunch of stuff really, but I really thank my English major for it.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I majored in English and I'd do it again because it's the most awesomest major! I'm totally liberal arts and if it wasn't English it would've been something even worse like Sociology or Anthropology. This happened more when I was fresh out of college, but when I told people I was an English major they'd say "oh so you're an English teacher?":doh: When most people think of English they think literature, but I really didn't like the literature part I enjoy the rhetoric and language parts. I use it as a moment to educate people so I really don't get offended or feel like I have to justify myself. I understand that it's frustrating to have people question why you majored in what you majored. You do what you want to do with your education.

BUT, I went through the trouble of translating it to make myself more marketable to employers. When people ask(ed) I tell them what I can do with English.

Critical thinking skills/Information synthesis is the my most often cited defense of an English major. Yeah, but what does that mean? Say I'm writing a grant proposal because my organization wants funding for a project. I'm reading news articles, clinical studies, surveys/evaluations and I think to myself hmmm, there's a need for XYZ group to be informed in this topic area (after you identify a common thread throughout what information you have), and then you figure out how to make that happen. You write your thesis about why you need funding in such and such area. You identify your target audience and any peripheral audiences. You support it with the data you've found that says there's a need. You tell them what you intend to do with the money and how it will positively impact the intended recipients, or your expected results. It's a bunch of stuff really, but I really thank my English major for it.

Excellent post, Proteanmix. You and Eileen have figured out for yourselves why the major was right for you and how it fits in well with your lives and goals.

The part that bugged me in the OP was the friend's negative and naive attitude that certain college degrees are worth more than others. Questioning someone's major shouldn't involve sarcasm.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

Yeah, I don't think that most criticisms are leveled on the basis of perceived rigor (maybe if you're talking to some jealous computer science major crying about how hard their homework is). I think that's reserved for interdepartmental wars in the higher echelons of academia.

Mostly it's about how the major is useless for future career endeavors (which your response aptly addresses), and this criticism can be applied to all majors within all arts and sciences colleges. For instance, philosophy is fairly rigorous (though not nearly as hard as some people make it out to be), and yet you should hear the shit that they have to put up with from their parents/society/jealous friends whose parents made them major in finance. Same with linguistics.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
In a rather typical NF fashion I majored in English because I like to read and write. An ST friend just made a sarcastic comment about the stupidity of English essays, saying "When you're done, what good is it?" He didn't buy my line about critical thinking or about providing insights into human nature that build leadership and even marketing skills...

Anyone else had success explaining "fluff" majors to STs???

This probably won't convince the people you are referring to, but English has to be one of the most useful majors out there. Communication skills are universally desirable for anyone moving into a manager position. I'm not sure if written communication or public speaking courses prepare a person more for this sort of thing, but either is more helpful than the majority of possible education programs out there that most majors offer.

Yorick

MBTI Type
INTP
There's always law school. Join us. It's a way to put off the "real world" for three more years. (I was an English major too)