User Tag List

12 Last

Default Learning to code

I was wondering about how difficult it is to learn to code? Or about studying hardware, software etc. more generally.

I'm considering possibly changing lanes from the work I have been doing to an IT career although I have not made any decisions for definite as I might consider a part time working arrangement and then study part time.

IT affords work from home opportunities and working past retirement in ways that I think other career paths do not, at least a number of friends who actually work in the field have said so and talked about colleagues who do free lance or commission based work alongside or in addition to their main source of revenue/employment incomes.

Although, all said, I'm an older guy, I can still concentrate, speed read, time manage etc. but I worry about the whole drop off in skills acquisition and learning capacities in mid-life. I probably will decide some sort of learning strategy for this kind of thing anyway, although perhaps not to the standard of a professional if its not probably or possible for someone my age. What do anyone with experience in this field think about it?

It's never too late to learn to code. There are a number of great materials available to teach yourself online, most of them free to use. Self-directed part time study is a feasible option.

The difficulty of programming varies between languages. Python is good for beginners because it has a simpler syntax, and the wide range of possible applications makes it quite versatile. It's generally better to be highly skilled in one language than to have a smattering in over a dozen, but being familiar with other languages is worthwhile even if you don't know how use them. It depends on what programs you want to write.

Also, one's ability to program is determined more by one's problem solving abilities than it is by one's knowledge of languages. There isn't much memorisation involved in my experience. That is to say, there isn't much memorisation of individual commands, because the emphasis is on learning syntax.
    Likes Lark, JAVO liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

#lern2code fam
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes Tenebris liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4W5

It's never too late if you have the passion and dedication. My SO is a self taught programmer, now retired, switched from a Mechanical role to an IT career in his 30's for companies such as Amex and IBM by virtue of his hard work and passion. He only went to Year 10, has no University degree. It is possible but not easy. All the best with that endeavour if you wish to pursue it.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    487 sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

When you start to learn any abstract subject it's difficult for 3 days only.

For those who want to learn to code, the first advice I give is : learn C first. Because most languages resemble C.

The idea is not to be able to code large amounts of C code, but to know what a programming language is. Then learning other languages will be easier.

It's like learning esperanto before learning another speaking language.

I think some mathematics, especially set theory, graph theory, and complexity theory will be useful.
    I often say "psychological impact" because it's a central concept to me.
    Likes Lark liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    NF
    Enneagram
    9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

It wasn't that bad when I was taught coding the past spring semester this year. You could take a night class at your local community college if you feel like you'd learn better with an instructor looking out for you if you have questions. Or if you're more independent, there's endless cheap e-books and free videos to teach yourself how to code. It gets easier to grasp the more you practice. I'm surprised that I kinda liked it a lot; It's to the point that I'm going to read another book about computer programming and languages to teach myself more that we haven't gone over this semester due to all the weather close downs at the school. So if my no-longer-in-my-teens-or-early-twenties can do it, so can you. Good luck.
    Same Sex Attraction Is Natural & Beautiful
    Pride Month 2019

Artificial intelligence Tenebris's Avatar
    MBTI
    IXTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Easier than a foreign language I assume.
    Likes tony_goth liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris View Post
    Easier than a foreign language I assume.
    Seen it talked about in that context, like people having plans to learn a new or second language as a new years resolution should try a code language.
    Likes Tenebris liked this post