• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what do you guys think of the theory of shadow functions coming foward during stress?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

"Ne: Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.[16] Ne gives INTPs a grasp of the patterns of the world around them. They use their intuition to amalgamate empirical data into coherent pictures, from which they can derive universal principles. INTPs frequently puzzle over a problem for hours on end, until the answer suddenly crystallizes in a flash of insight." -wikipedia INTP profile

"It formulates questions and creates theories; it opens up prospects and yields insight, but in the presence of facts it exhibits a reserved demeanour." Ti description in psychological types by jung

Having insight on some stuff doesent mean its Ni, even if some random career counsellor on the interwebs says so..

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i haven't seen this directly, or maybe i just don't think the explanation makes sense.

however, i do notice interactions. i think, at a cognitive, jungian level, the tendency to fundamentalize one's own privileged processes gets worse under stress. i feel more crunched by my deficiencies, and i can either run from those or step up to the wild flailing uncertainty i sometimes feel with respect to them. clearly the latter is a better approach for taking a big step.

emotionally, at an enneagram level, i think the reaction patterns clearly show themselves. just looking for supports to deal with the stress and try to prevent collapse/catastrophe. when i am not skilled at drawing those types of resources, i have little flexibility, and i get stuck trying shitty paths that don't have much of a feasible opportunity to be ecologically healthy. it's really easy to get caught in debt-spending, rather than gathering resourcefulness and developing a steady plan to do whatever work is needed to turn the tides, being as patient as necessary. however, when fundamentalizing, that can in turn put more pressure on further demands for repressing, and that can lead to little volcanic releases. so my e8 shadow, the hardest thing for me to integrate, really exaggerates my jabbiness, passive aggression, blaming tendencies, desire to knock down a peg or two, power lust, etc. just like my e1 shadow baits me into criticizing the fuck out of everything, getting caught in standards and unreasonable expectations, getting caustic and self-righteous, and playing this moral authority card that objectifies the truth rather than owning my needs, so that i can justify whatever lazy, impulsive, unaccountable approach i want, giving myself this fatalistic story so that i can focus on meeting my own unowned, unrecognized, unclaimed needs without regard for how best to do that or what responsibilities i truly can meet as i try to do so. this happens bc i've allowed my ideas of what is good to become more important that serving what is actually alive in me, because i was rejecting my actual self in favor of shoulds, in favor of expectations.

for e5 having e8 shadow, and e4 having e1 shadow, for both committing to action and following through with actual choices, lies the deepest integration. i appreciate this, and i appreciate how e7 and e2, their positivity breeding momentum and appreciation, their commitment to worldliness and opportunity, make these possible from the bottom of the well that i have learned to climb out of as a 5 and a 4. and instead of fleeing into simply what feels better NOW and what is distracting enough to avoid the difficult thing, learning the lessons of those to leverage the bigger push needed to do so.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The eight function positions are really ego states. Jung originally had only eight types, considering the dominant the ego's "type". For the sake of balance, an auxiliary had to be chosen, of the opposite rationality, and the opposite attitude. These The auxiliary is associated with an ego state of "support", named after the "Good Parent" archetype.
These two define what we have come to recognize as "the 16 types".

The other six are reflections of these two, and "shadows" of both them and the reflections. (Each of the four primary ego states places the function in one orientation or another, and the suppressed opposite orientations then become associated with four more ego states, which are actually suppressed negative versions of the first four).
Beebe has pointed out that "Shadow", an archetype representing "unconsciousness" (and by extension, connotations of evil that often become relegated to it), can be up to all eight (like in a very young person where not even the dominant has differentiated yet).

So that is why Quenk and the other "four-function model" theorists can call the inferior (and sometimes even the tertiary) "the shadow", while Beebe extends it to the other four. Generally, the first four, being ego-syntonic (what Socionics would call "valued") will develop to some extent. The other four remain their [the first four's] "shadows"; again, meaning the repressed opposite orientations. So that's why the 4+4 setup with 'the last four' as the "shadows" sticks, even though some of the first four can technically be "shadow".

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION], [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION], [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION],

Apparently you ladies won that Relationship Pairings Thread contest, and among the prizes mentioned, was the book

'Was That Really Me?: How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality'.

If any of you have actually chosen (and then, I hope, gone ahead and *finished reading*) that book, perhaps
you'd like to share your newfound knowledge with us on this thread? ;)
I got this book in the contest too. It's one of my favorites, in part because the ExTJ description is the one that I relate most to of any description I've ever found. And a big part of that description relates to becoming IxFP-like under stress.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Yeah, it's tied together with Beebe and the eight-function model:
http://typeinsights.com/FreeArticles/Evolvingthe8functionmodel.pdf
NC Research Triangle Chapter <-- Note comparison of Beebe to Quenk here + the Berens reference
The John Beebe 8 function model | presentobsessions (includes explanation chart)

Shadow = Opposing function + Senex/Witch (critical parent) + Trickster + Demonic

Beebe casts the main personality as Hero + Parent + Child + Anima/Animus. Note how the "shadow self" is basically just casting the main personality into its opposing force. (The Hero has an opposition force; the Parent [mature wisdom] becomes a manipulating/punishing/defending source of wisdom; the innocent/good child becomes the trickster child, etc.] But they can still be used to create positive movement in the end.

This "shadow" self isn't exactly the same concept as your fourth/inferior function that is also referred to sometimes as the "shadow" of your primary.

THAT would explain a lot .... ....

I like this model.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The other 4 functions are used at times anyway without it having to be because of stress.

It's just that we get stressed when our usual mode of understanding something is not available, so we have to resort to another method.