• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Voice loudness

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I recently tested the loudness of my "normal" voice, i.e. speaking with no effort to change the voice's loudness (higher or lower). I checked out because my wife told me I was always shouting.

The result was : 85db (eighty-five, no mistake). So although I wasn't technically shouting, my average voice is like average people's shouting in terms of loudness. If I do shout it's really louder than this.

Many people will say a loud voice is a sign of anxiety and lack of self-confidence. And I agree. I also had my hearing medically tested with no noticeable hearing issues. It's really disabling, because everyone says I'm shouting, and the only benefit for having an extremely loud voice is to be heard in noisy places (bars and clubs) or to talk to hundreds of people without a microphone (e.g. at college).

Besides, people with a low voice make me feel they lack frankness or something, and I really can't stand it. Being deceitful is way worse than being excessively pushy.

How loud is your voice ?

What do you think degrees of loudness mean ?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Might want to get a hearing test. Sometimes low-grade hearing damage will also cause people to speak in more of a Stage Voice than they mean to.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
I think I have a medium tone voice.
But it could be in your case OP that you have an intonation problem. It doesn't have to be about anxiety.