• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The sea...

Do you feel this "longing" towards the sea?

• Total voters

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
But we also have a Great Salt Lake. The real question bothering me is how we can have something that is both salty and a lake. The existence of this implies that chemical composition is unrelated to whether something is a lake or sea.

The problem is that you have to overcome the stereotype that lakes can't be salty. Most of them aren't but this isn't universal rule.
However salt was just one of the arguments. While the other two were that Great lakes don't have sea connection to the oceans and they are evidently above sea level. Therefore these two arguments evidently apply to the Great Salt lake as well. What means that Great Salt lake scores about 2.5 points out of 3 in being a typical lake. The only thing that is kinda off is chemistry to some degree.

I mean the lakes are basically some random holes on the continental mass that got filled with water. In other words I said that one of the differences between a lake and a sea is chemical composition. However that doesn't apply just to the salt since there are many other chemical compounds that can be found in the water. While the water isn't really the full story either, because typical chemical composition of the lake bottom and sea bottom isn't the same. For example the bottom of the Atlantic has volcanic background since it is being made by the volcanic ridge that stretches all the way from Greenland to Antarctica. Therefore as the ridge generates new sea bed the both coasts of the Atlantic are spreading apart. While with Great Salt Lake you don't have that, it is just a body of water that filled a hole on top of a continent. Which by the way has different chemical composition than the the ocean bed. Plus Great Salt lake has no direct connection of the oceans and it is way above global sea level. Therefore calling it a Great Salt lake is basically the most correct name you can pick for the place.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As mentioned, the confusion sets in because there are some lakes that are named as seas. Aside from the Dead Sea, the Caspian Sea is another lake that is called sea. It is treated by many as a sea because of its size. This lake is so huge that from whatever angle you’ll try to look at, it would seem as if you’re looking at a long stretch of shore. This is because the Caspian Sea is the biggest or largest lake in the world. It is bordered by several countries including Iran and Southern Russia. Another lake that is called a sea is the Aral Sea.

On the contrary, seas are different from lakes because they are not enclosed by land. They have a relatively bigger volume of water and are usually connected to the wide open ocean. Seas are undoubtedly deeper as compared to lakes. It is a continuous stretch of salt water. There’s an exemption to this definition however because a sea can also be a landlocked (like a lake) immense body of saline (salty) water which doesn’t have an outlet towards an ocean. This definition can best be applied to the case of the Caspian Sea.

The Dead sea is indeed just one very salty lake from what I understand.
However Caspian lake/sea is problematic case. Since it does fulfil most standards of the sea. What is because this is actually the real inland sea, the title that some wanted to give to the great lakes. As I said in my last post the creation mechanism is also what matters. Lakes are made in a way that water from the rain and snow fills a hole on the top of the continent. While this supposedly isn't the case with Caspian sea. In other words this is indeed a piece of sea that got landlocked through tectonic processes over millions of years. For example take a look at neighboring Black sea, which is something like 99.9% surrounded by continental mass. So the Caspian sea is basically just the chunk that got completely cut off. Which is why Caspian sea is evidently the biggest "lake" in the world and it is also salty. Plus it has debt of over 1000 meters (what is far deeper than Great lakes in North America). Plus most importantly Caspian sea has the bottom that in chemical composition is like the ocean floor (since this used to be genuine sea before if got cut off) . So as I explained in the last post this is what is quite important since it says something about the origin. What is fairly important in sea/lake distinction. Therefore Caspian sea is indeed a sea, but it fails in the connectivity argument because it got landlocked.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
But to answer the original question. Just as my post suggests I am very interested in seas or any other body of water for that matter. Plus I always connect them to some happy elements, from swimming in mountain rivers, cruises, studding rich history of harbor cities, trips, vacations ... etc.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The Dead sea is indeed just one very salty lake from what I understand.
However Caspian lake/sea is problematic case. Since it does fulfil most standards of the sea. What is because this is actually the real inland sea, the title that some wanted to give to the great lakes. As I said in my last post the creation mechanism is also what matters. Lakes are made in a way that water from the rain and snow fills a hole on the top of the continent. While this supposedly isn't the case with Caspian sea. In other words this is indeed a piece of sea that got landlocked through tectonic processes over millions of years. For example take a look at neighboring Black sea, which is something like 99.9% surrounded by continental mass. So the Caspian sea is basically just the chunk that got completely cut off. Which is why Caspian sea is evidently the biggest "lake" in the world and it is also salty. Plus it has debt of over 1000 meters (what is far deeper than Great lakes in North America). Plus most importantly Caspian sea has the bottom that in chemical composition is like the ocean floor (since this used to be genuine sea before if got cut off) . So as I explained in the last post this is what is quite important since it says something about the origin. What is fairly important in sea/lake distinction. Therefore Caspian sea is indeed a sea, but it fails in the connectivity argument because it got landlocked.

Give it another 30 years and people will marvel that it was once a lake, though if sea level suddenly rises and floods the cut off it becomes a sea again.

Water is so fascinating. And terrifying. And nessesary to life.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This video goes into details about the ocean, rivers, deltas, and seas.​

oxter5

There is no place like the coastal landscapes or at sea, in my opinion. I've always felt a longing for the sea, and wherever I am I won't feel at home if i'm not anywhere near it. Don't get me wrong, I like mountainous highland landscapes, too... But there is no place like by the shores or on a ship. I've always been driven by wanderlust and the sea have always been what has been in my mind the most. Any kind of raft, boat or ship will make me into a giggling little boy. If I get my hand out of my arse in the future and have a sufficient amount of money to spend the rest of my days on a sailing boat around the world, I will.

And I wonder if it's not genetic, since my family have been moving around a lot over the last few centuries... And despite differences in character, me, my father and my grandfather have the same dreams of far off distant lands. Could wanderlust be in the genes?
I have always dreamed of living near the sea, enjoying the fresh air, the soothing sound of waves, and the beautiful views. I think living by the sea has many benefits for both physical and mental health, such as better sleep, lower stress, and more happiness. That's why I decided to look for a property in UAE, where there are many amazing coastal areas to choose from.
However, finding the right property in UAE was not easy, as there are so many options and factors to consider. I needed a professional and reliable real estate agency to help me with the process. I searched online and found some reputable agencies that offer a wide range of services and properties for sale and rent in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, and other emirates.
I contacted one of real estate agency uae and they assigned me a dedicated agent who understood my needs and preferences. He showed me some properties that matched my criteria and budget, and gave me honest and helpful advice. He also helped me with the paperwork, negotiations, and legal formalities. He made the whole process smooth and hassle-free.
Thanks to him, I found my dream home near the sea in UAE. I am so happy and grateful for his assistance and expertise. I would highly recommend him and his agency to anyone looking for a property in UAE. They are the best real estate agency in UAE, in my opinion."
Or maybe it has something to do with type? Or am I just weird?
My father, grandfather and me are all NT's.
Love sea but recently have plan to go to UAE

Last edited: