• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The crisis in good journalism

Lark

Does anyone think there is a lack of good journalism?

I'm not talking about the traditional cliches about media bias, which I think are often a case of "This source does not share MY bias, therefore it IS biased" which is seriously flawed thinking, the press that tells you precisely what you want to hear, confirms your suspicions is absolutely awful too.

The issue I'm talking about is more to do with the media as marketing, reporting as commercial PR, infotainment, click bait and to a much less extent a general dumbing down and reductionism in messages. I know a lot of these trends tie into the death of print media and the need to desperately chase a bottom dollar.

However, there are stories, obvious ones which suggest themselves which I definitely do not see being reported or pursued.

Like I would really like to see reports of events being "super spreader" occasions followed up with exacting information about how many people got sick, also mass gatherings, whether they are raves, house parties, protests, I would like to see the follow up to them too and see how it has objectively effected the spread of disease. Not simply that they have breached regulations, that much is obvious and not news, not journalism, not especially reportage I would say.

And if these things are not influencing spread then some good explanation as to why, not with a view to undermining policy or encouraging even more cavalier attitudes than there already appear to be among the public but just increasing the amount of accurate information there is for anyone who happens to be taking these matters seriously.

In the UK the media, broadly speaking, have been as supportive as they possibly can be of failing individuals, departments, government for some time now. In a bizarre kind of "nannying" of anyone in public office. And its really weird to see when they have consciously attempted to change tact, it becomes a case of simply being rude to individuals being interviewed, giving them a hard time or playing a kind of game in which they may "catch them out". Its terrible to watch as any skilled public official, or anyone with any kind of talent in discussion could deal with it, most of the people they wheel out cant but in any case its a pantomine. Instead of a sort of haranguing they never ask any decent questions worth asking.

Like I've seen some pretty good points made by individuals from the medical profession about the lack of planned responses to crisis, not simply COVID but more generally, for some time in the NHS, which is both a public funding and revenue issue but also about the calibre and quality of management, political oversight and a number of factors.

Factors which older beliefs about the "magic" of market forces or "spontaneous order" or any of the eighties maxims have nothing to talk about. Those key theories are looking everyday more like excuses and rationalizations for politicians and service managers who want to be paid for doing absolutely nothing. It didnt get picked up by the journos or the politicians at the time and I get a feeling it wasnt simply because they wanted to avoid a difficult or complex topic on the breakfast news but also that there was a lack of understanding, insight or even interest.

These trends are reflected more broadly too, in fact I think they are a major factor in the spread of conspiracy theory, why pay attention to mundane reality when instead you can buy into an imaginative tale of how you are the hero at the heart of a sensational struggle and everything is in the balance?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The right obliterated journalism and the libs simply allowed it to happen. I think we're beyond the point of saying - do you think there is a lack of good journalism? There is little to no journalism any longer. I'm not sure when people are going to grasp that we went recovery some time back The right spoons out their vile shit free of charge and the libs put it behind a paywall.

Either people start finding and supporting journalism and investigative independent news outlets or they keep lapping up insanity while screaming about fake news. Because it won't matter if it comes from the right or the left anymore.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is a small list of excellent journalists that people should follow if they want information on this topic and all kinds of other bullshit happening in the US.

@KFILE

@RosieGray

@tina_nguyen

@letsgomathias

@egavactip

@oneunderscore__

@Jaredlholt

If you don't use Twitter follow their work elsewhere but Twitter is the best way to find info very quickly. Copy and paste, I'm not bothering with the links.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first thing that calls my attention here is that the situation is not the same all over the world but varies a bit from country to country. There are rankings about freedom and independence of the press on an international level.

Another thing is that there is quite a difference between publically and privately funded media. Between big media outlets and smaller outlets. Between those attempting some sort of objectivity (problematic as it may seem) and those that are explicitely working from a clear political position.

Personally, I have a quite oldfashioned bias for professional, often but not exclusively publically funded, journalism ... in writing, print or online. I detest the video format and think twitter is a pest. If I see someone posting a video in a political debate I am very unlikely to click on it as I barely ever watched one that wasn't disappointing and it feels like usurping my time as I can't skip, browse, quote or reread as easily as I can in the written format.

Also, new channels can be highly problematic. Whenever I watch CNN I am baffled by how fastpaced and sensationalist it is, how hysterical, how oversaturated the colors, how many text boxes and images they show at once. How little nuance there is. Everybody seems to be constantly screeming. To me it seems like a juggernaut that has to constantly be fed. A lot has been said about the negative consequences of that speed. Fox News, don't even get me started.

We have vaguely similar trends over here but much, much more subdued and sober by comparison.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Whenever I watch CNN I am baffled by how fastpaced and sensationalist it is, how hysterical, how oversaturated the colors, how many text boxes and images they show at once.

Even The Weather Channel has become this way, particularly the app. It's all sensationalism, I can't stand it. I'll take the totally bland, text based info on Weather.gov until some R or D tries selling it off to Amazon.

One place you can really observe the high volume is on the radio, I think this is missed when you watch on TV. CNN, Fox, MSNBC...they're all loud but Fox is deafening, even Fox Sports.