• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fuckyou-push.gif

If you insist.
How do you feel now?​
Better than I did then, actually, although there is greater cause for concern. My concerns are more likely to be addressed and acknowledged; alternative opinions have much more of a voice. On the other hand, I think the consequences, should Trump winning in November, will be much more severe. It will probably eradicate what progress has been made, and this will be the least of it.

The stakes are greater, but I think the Democratic party is better than it was. Somebody may disagree with me on that, but foreign policy typically isn't something we get to vote on. Really, in primaries, we're lucky if we get to vote on policy at all. This election is the only time I can think of where we've ever gotten to vote on foreign policy (although perhaps there were differences in 2020). A month or two ago, I saw a post from Instagram by Mehdi Hassan explaining what exactly Trump's policies would be regarding the Middle East and Gaza, and they are in fact worse than Biden's.

In summary, there is a sense of progress being made and that people are trying to make things better, even if global affairs darken that picture. A second Trump term, though, would be fully unhinged and out for revenge.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Like saying that if Hillary wins, "There will be a taco truck on every corner". This brings to mind two reactions, first, it makes me roll my eyes, because who wouldn't want a taco truck on every corner.

Second, the way this is stated as a bad thing (and verbally expressed) is also unsettling. It's hard to explain exactly why, but it reminds me of Nazi propaganda films where Jews are compared to rats. It's the same idea.

But you know, I couldn't talk about any of this at the time, or I would have been called paranoid and deluded. It's the same for the Trump presidency. I wasn't going to put myself out there about any of this when the opposition is focused on his Twitter typos.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Like saying that if Hillary wins, "There will be a taco truck on every corner". This brings to mind two reactions, first, it makes me roll my eyes, because who wouldn't want a taco truck on every corner.

Second, the way this is stated as a bad thing (and verbally expressed) is also unsettling. It's hard to explain exactly why, but it reminds me of Nazi propaganda films where Jews are compared to rats. It's the same idea.

But you know, I couldn't talk about any of this at the time, or I would have been called paranoid and deluded. It's the same for the Trump presidency. I wasn't going to put myself out there about any of this when the opposition is focused on his Twitter typos.
there-there-498-x-280-gif-k2345kh6wgfscszc.gif

It's going to be ok Leonard.​

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
His second term would be an entirely different beast than the first. He seems determined to purge anybody from the new administration who is not loyal to him. Likely, he wants to avoid having people like Mike Pence in key positions.
You might be right.

To be honest, I thought Trump was going to be much more damaging than he actually was. I think he was held in check by the traditional politicians and long time political appointees around him. Not many of those left if there's a second time around, and Trump is likely to clean house even more. A sufficiently crooked VP might have allowed him to pull off his coup (or at least led to full scale chaos). Trump will probably work to insure the right morally bankrupt flunkies are in place going forward.

Plus, he won't have to worry about any more elections (assuming he doesn't manage to remove term limits - which it would not surprise me if he tries) so he's just going to suit himself even if his popularity numbers start to tank.

It's going to be a wild ride if he gets in.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ITs good to think about how you got here, and how far you've come, but dont fall into the trap of borrowing trouble from the opinions of hypothetical "other people" you deserve better.
2015 was a weird year in general for me. I think the politics were especially weird. It seemed like people kept getting up my ass about some stuff I'd already stated my opinion on. It seemed like people were projecting an awful lot of opinions onto me. I can't imagine what that was about.

Meanwhile, this fascist movement is ascending and everyone seems to be laughing it off or even cheering it on.

I'm still a little afraid of other people, but you raise a valid point about self-censorship.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think anything prevents a convicted felon of becoming president, even if it would prevent him from voting in an election.

It's rather sad we even have to be discussing what happens if a president is incarcerated while in office or taking office.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Another orange stripey character with an aversion to mondays.
Now I'm imagining Garfield replaced with trump. It weirdly works.​

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

One woman miscarried in the restroom lobby of a Texas emergency room as front desk staff refused to admit her to the hospital.

Another woman learned that her fetus had no heartbeat at a Florida hospital, the day after a security guard turned her away from the facility. And in North Carolina, a woman gave birth in a car after an emergency room couldn’t offer an ultrasound, and the baby later died.
This is always where the right wing, anti-choice, religious zealotry was going. Doesn't matter if they put a 20 week ban or a 5 minute ban. Docs and hospitals won't touch them. These aren't women looking for abortions. These are pregnant women.