• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Iggy Pop's The Idiot vs. Lust For Life: which is the superior album?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both recorded around roughly the same period, both considered among his best non-Stooges albums. Personally I choose Lust For Life, by just a hair. I think it better captures the personality and essence of Iggy Pop. The Idiot is great but it feels more like a joint Bowie and Iggy Pop album considering the former co-wrote every single track on it. Iggy emerged fully on LFL

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
next year i'll have changed my opinion to the idiot. I go back and forth.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I actually did listen to The Idiot and liked it. It was skeevy in a good way, if that makes any sense. 70's sleaze of the best kind.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I actually did listen to The Idiot and liked it. It was skeevy in a good way, if that makes any sense. 70's sleaze of the best kind.
yeah, it has that funky groove you hear on lots of 70s music, but then there's also this cold, metallic edge that's very alien and reptilian. If Pop were a Disney animal, he'd be some sort of lizard or snake. (I could see Bowie as a fox or some type of cat). It feels like a little dystopian futurism in the production too. I read Bowie and Pop were listening to a lot of Kraftwerk when they made it. The backing band were mostly American musicians with backgrounds in funk and soul, so the album sounds like the sound of German technorock bands reflected through american and english eyes. then of course I also am reminded of the fictional skeevy kraut band from the Big Lebowski.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lust For Life on the other hand feels like pubhopping music, but when you're out pubhopping after the woman (or man) of your dreams just dumped you or left.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah, it has that funky groove you hear on lots of 70s music, but then there's also this cold, metallic edge that's very alien and reptilian. If Pop were a Disney animal, he'd be some sort of lizard or snake. (I could see Bowie as a fox or some type of cat). It feels like a little dystopian futurism in the production too. I read Bowie and Pop were listening to a lot of Kraftwerk when they made it. The backing band were mostly American musicians with backgrounds in funk and soul, so the album sounds like the sound of German technorock bands reflected through american and english eyes. then of course I also am reminded of the fictional skeevy kraut band from the Big Lebowski.
I need to dip into that well next, haha.