• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Great man" theory of history

ygolo

My termites win
Fail to learn from history, and we're doomed to repeat it, is an old addage. But it seems people can learn whatever clap-trap reinforces their existing biases from history.

One theory in particular, and the reaction to it, is central to the way people color their learning.

One of the leading proponents of this theory, J Rufus Fears, is responsible for a great deal of influence on conservatives.

Some biologist have weighed in:

Here is an article from Penn State Leadership about the dangers of the great man theory:

Also, a historian reflects on whether or not there is still value in the great man theory (updated to "Big Beast" theory):

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
A good man is hard to find. A great man depends upon seasoning and slow cooking.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Fail to learn from history, and we're doomed to repeat it, is an old addage. But it seems people can learn whatever clap-trap reinforces their existing biases from history.

One theory in particular, and the reaction to it, is central to the way people color their learning.

One of the leading proponents of this theory, J Rufus Fears, is responsible for a great deal of influence on conservatives.

Some biologist have weighed in:

Here is an article from Penn State Leadership about the dangers of the great man theory:

Also, a historian reflects on whether or not there is still value in the great man theory (updated to "Big Beast" theory):
This is something to think about. Combined with the amount of mythology passed off as "American history" and it's easy to see how we got to this point.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
most 'greatness' seems to be accidental, incidental, or determined in hindsight, postscript. then there's the countless behind-the-scenes individuals who contribute to change and never get recognized. written history is constantly undergoing revision. Even when we have a multitude of facts and evidence to provide a clear outline of a past event or person, we're constantly revising our interpretation of said people and events to fit our changing mores and understandings. Great example in how historians' evaluations of US presidencies have changed--Wilson used to be considered one of the greats, and now he's fallen down the list quite a ways; JQ Adams has been regarded in a more positive light in recent decades. I used to see Grant's presidency regarded as a failure but his reputation seems to have improved somewhat. Same with monarchs--Richard the Lionheart arguably not so awesome as he'd been portrayed, while his brother John has climbed a bit in reputation.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Perpsective in a hall of mirrors is never quite what it appears to be. Life is the hall and humanity is lost in a funhouse maze of warped perspective.

ygolo

My termites win
Another knock on the great man theory, this time in computing in general:

ygolo

My termites win
It's funny how even in business circles "Great Man Theory" is completely debunked, but this is the way everyone narrates what happens in entreprenuership.

• The great man theory was developed by historian Thomas Carlyle, who argued history was a collection of the biographies of powerful men. He called these men heroes and created six archetypes to categorize the leaders of his day.
  • The great man theory has been debunked by modern research.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It's funny how even in business circles "Great Man Theory" is completely debunked, but this is the way everyone narrates what happens in entreprenuership.

I would say "business' circles" may be some of the most destructive rhetoric out there no matter what they're talking about.

ygolo

My termites win
I would say "business' circles" may be some of the most destructive rhetoric out there no matter what they're talking about.
There is that dynamic of the powerful asserting a certain ideology they require every person entering the arena to parrot. Some version of "kiss the ring and you may enter"--But "kissing the ring" amounts to believing certain things.

There are many of us who have no other choice but to carve our own path. Like it or not, making ends-meet requires following it.