• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

First blog.

Scraps992

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, I'm trying to learn the ropes with this website, and blogging is just about the only thing I already have down pat - as I sometimes write essays that I post on various blogs of mine. The only issue right now is that I'm not too sure what to write about. I don't use blogs to explain the eventful day I had or to use them like a diary. I use blogs to express my opinions on debatable subjects. Maybe that's misusing them, but I don't really see a better use for them. What essay have I written that I can recycle for this website as my first blog post?...

How about my most recent one: Why Highlander is an overrated movie. Here it goes.

Highlander is a horrible piece of garbage that shouldn't be held in such high regard!

Yeah, I said it! Highlander is a piece of garbage abomination of cinema, and the fact that it's held in such high regard is an insult to the collected taste of every person on the face of the planet. Christopher Lambert has proven time and time again that he can't dictate a good script from a bad one and he posses less acting talent that effing Shia LaBeouf. Sean Connery and Clancy Brown are about the only redeeming things about this movie. With Clancy Brown having a one-up on Connery for having a character who is one of the most awesome antagonists of the 80s. And before I go further, I want to say that I have seen the sequels. This is undoubtedly the best of the series - but that isn't saying much. This movie sucks. The Quickening is an anti-movie. Watching The Final Dimension is like getting beaten to death. Endgame made me question my faith in God. And The Source is a worthy candidate for being the worst movie ever made. And I'm not familiar with the TV shows.

Also, please believe me when I say I'm not a troll. I'm just trying to find out how anybody could possibly like this movie. To prove I'm not a troll, I'll list what's good. As I said before, Connery and Brown are awesome and prove with every film they're in that they simply cannot give a bad performance. The Kurgan is an awesome villain who lights up the screen whenever he's on. The scenery is heartbreakingly beautiful. The music is very often fantastic. The effects were great for the time. And when it comes right down to it, I can see why some could see this as a fun movie. Not a good movie!.. But a fun one.

Now that I've listed some positives, I'll show you why this movie is too nonsensical and stupid to ever be considered good... After I detail my personal issues with the movie. Never before have I seen law enforcement officials being depicted as such incompetent, psychopathic, mean-spirited, violent, corrupt pieces of trash. I've seen Miller's Crossing too. That was an intentional exaggeration of police corruption to illustrate that the setting of the movie was basically run solely by its criminals. It's intentionally bleak. It's intentionally distant from reality. Here, the filmmakers seem to genuinely think that police officers are just the scum of the Earth. Early in the movie, MacLeod gets in a fight with a police officer while being interrogated. After it's done, you can see the civilians outside applauding MacLeod for taking on one of those big bad peacekeepers! Another thing I hate about this movie is that the action is so horribly shot, I honestly can't tell what's going on. Not only is it poorly shot, it's also poorly directed and horrendously edited. I won't waste too much time with addressing my personal problems. I'll just hurry up and get to why this is a technically horrible movie that makes no sense.

I'm a fan of minimalism. I write fiction on a regular basis, and I often incorporate tons of it. But I'm aware that there can be too much minimalism in any story. If your movie is too minimalistic, it gets to a point where it surpasses minimalism and just becomes a story with a bunch of plot holes. I can forgive unanswered questions in the lore, that's what lore is all about, having some mystery behind it. But there are some inquiries here that just need more explaining than, "It's fantasy!" For one, when do immortals stop aging? One can assume they were children at one point. If they weren't, I'd like to know how in the world they exist and how MacLeod never questions the fact that he never had a childhood that he could remember. But that possibility is rendered implausible since it's established that MacLeod has a cousin. Anyway, what stops the aging process? Once they hit the age of young adult? Then why is Ramirez well above middle-aged? What dictates this? You can't just not answer these questions! Two: What happens if they lose a limb, or get cut in half? Does it grow back? They demonstrated that they possess incredible healing abilities, so what the heck? What happens when they're dismembered? They can only be killed by decapitation. I get that. But what happens if an immortal is decapitated by accident? Or is beheaded by a mortal? The movie establishes that when an immortal kills a rival, they absorb their knowledge or something. So if an immortal is decapitated by nobody, where does their knowledge go? If they're killed by a normal human, does that human absorb their knowledge? No. That would make this movie make even less sense. Three: Who established these tenets? Who decided that there can be only one immortal? Who found out that they can access the power of the quickening upon killing the last immortal other than yourself? Who created the rule against fighting on holy ground?! Was there an original immortal? Who was he? Why are all mentioned immortals men? Is that a coincidence, or is there an impossibility for a woman to be immortal? Why does Ramirez decide to help MacLeod? If the main objective of being an immortal is to be the last one left, then why the hell would Ramirez befriend and train MacLeod to be a better swordsman than he is? Maybe it's indicated that Ramirez doesn't really care about gaining the prize since he's lived for 2500 years or so and has lost three lovers; the last of which "shattered" him upon her death. So, I guess that makes sense - but they don't do a good enough job to elaborate on that. Moving on... Why does The Kurgan kidnap Brenda? MacLeod already agreed to fight The Kurgan. Plus, MacLeod knows that The Kurgan raped his wife after slaughtering Ramirez. One can pretty well guess that MacLeod will be out for blood once he found that out. So I haven't the faintest idea why The Kurgan would kidnap her. What's the point of that stupid freaking sex scene? The relationship between Brenda and MacLeod is practically nonexistent and has no development other than her harassing him because he's a suspect in a murder and he deals in antiques. Here's another: We're told that immortals are born at different times. So, isn't it possible for another immortal to be born after MacLeod killed The Kurgan? What, does MacLeod just lose his powers and his mortality? If there isn't a possibility for another immortal to be born, why? How? They came from somewhere, so is it too much to suspect that it could all happen again? Speaking of which, how is an immortal born? They can't have children of their own, so it's not a gene thing. Is it just chance? What the hell? Why was this movie made?! Why do people like it?! What's a movie?! What am I typing on?! What's the point of my existence?! Who am I?! What the hell is my name?!

I'm going to stop there for your own sake, because I'm not even getting started! I haven't finished asking the questions this movie made me ask, and I'm not going to begin to beg the questions that the freaking sequels brought up. By the way, the lore is so paper thin that after they made Highlander II: The Quickening, they had to pretend like that movie wasn't made when they created the movies after that because it shattered the laws of the original movie so much, it made the entire plot nothing but an incoherent jumbling of half-finished ideas, contradictions, plot-holes and stupidity. God, this movie's stupid! I am now of below average intelligence simply because I sat through the entire thing. Screw this movie! This is the movie that made me hate most every film I see. I don't have any trustworthy database that I can use to detect something worth watching. I'm a broken soul. I've lost my faith!

But seriously, would someone like to answer these questions? And don't tell me that "it's just a movie." You all hated The Quickening because it made no freaking sense, so why can't I hate this movie for making no freaking sense!?