• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP...or am I?

thejapanesehouse

I seem to have made this account and never posted anything? Rewatching Breaking Bad for some reason reminded me of MBTI types, and so on, and being in the middle of a pandemic and having little else to do, perhaps it would be good to get some outside perspective on my own MBTI type.

I've been typed as ENFP; the quiz I took on this site also gave me ENFP. There's always room for doubt? I guess answering in longhand can also capture certain nuances...anyway. I haven't answered all the questions, because I have a lab report due, hehe.

a) What is your age range and general location (Country so that cultural values can be taken into account)? Do you have any impairments that may affect the way that you answer this questionnaire? Any religious or political beliefs (or anything else along those lines) that also might have an effect?

22, UK, no religion, a leftie, I guess.

b) Which types are you currently considering? Why are you considering them and why haven’t you decided on one?

ENFP, and I'm not sure whether I have this deep innate set of moral values, or I'm just distracting myself from the oncoming void.

2) What do you deem as your purpose in life?

The source of many woes! When I was younger, it was to just...be nice. I, perceiving myself to be lacking in anything of worth, like a certain level of intelligence, a certain level of insight, of empathy, so on and so forth, concluded that I would just be whatever my community needed me to be - because I was so plain, I would embody a certain zeitgeist, so long as it was fulfilling to other people. This of course just came from low self-esteem, so now I would redefine that and say I don't have a singular purpose - I'm not religious and my grasp on teleology is weak - but I have certain abstract concepts that I intend to follow. I have an idealistic notion of creating a 'net good' in the world, in terms of volunteering, or working in the public sector - in my mind, I've also produced great works of fiction, like Breaking Bad - but I'm also okay with the concept that life, for the most part, is mediocre. There are good parts and bad parts, and in the end, it doesn't matter too much as we all fade out of the memories of those who will also die, and we'll rejoin the universe in our atomic forms, bits of carbon and nitrogen and oxygen everywhere. Lovely.

3) Of the seven deadly sins, which one(s) do you relate to the most and the least and why?

relatable: sloth. I'm crippled by my own indecisions, rendering me lazy at times. Well, physically lazy, from the outside. I probably spend a lot of time internally agonising over things.
I would say I relate to wrath the least - I'm not a particularly vengeful person, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been properly angry in my life.

4) Analyzing your relationships with others, briefly describe:
a) The type of people you are drawn to
- open-minded; kind; not easily offended; sensitive; enjoy learning new things, and discussing issues.

b) The type of people who are drawn to you

- I've had my fair share of what could be considered by some as 'emotional vampires'...I don't usually mind (I don't believe in 'emotional labour': if we're friends, we're friends) but sometimes they end up being toxic and fucking me over. I think I'm able to get on with all sorts of people, really.

c) The type of people you are repulsed by

- the exact opposite of a), in the fact that they're stubbornly stuck in their ways, and take everything - even if there's a genuinely good explanation that requires considering an alternative viewpoint - personally; callous and inconsiderate to issues they believe don't affect them.

5)What are the traits in others that you admire but you cannot emulate yourself? Elaborate.

Effortless confidence in all ways: I'm an anxious person; I'm always second-guessing myself. Certain things, like public speaking, driving to new places, trigger a gut reaction of 'I can't'; I'm not the sort that's up for anything at all times, unless I've done an adequate risk assessment, lol. I spend a lot of time trying to persuade myself to do the things that frighten me; I wish I just embodied that carefree spirit some seem to have. I think it's a great quality, and I'm drawn to people who have it; I can see why others are, too. This extends to those who have conviction, or are openly studious and hardworking; in my mind, if I can't do something immediately, I'm no good at it and therefore should give up. I'm aware of this, and think it's a regressive attitude of mine - I like people who view things as a challenge to overcome, who draw from their own internal strength and sense of resolve.

6) Describe your relationship with the following:

a) Anger
- very rare that I feel proper anger, but when I do, it's very much unleashed, lol. Soon after the feeling subsides, I feel shameful, as though I should have controlled myself, or been more empathetic; who am I to take x y z and make it all about myself? and so on.

b) Shame
shame builds and builds in me, and when I experience it as it's been compounded, it's so strong that I just want to curl up into a ball and die (how dramatic). I am always analysing my actions, and I attempt to avoid this emotion if possible.

c) Fear
I fear everything! I hate it.

d) Love/passion
The reason why we're alive, and what it means to be humans, people have started wars for it, and so on.

e) Conflict
Will do anything to avoid it.

13) How do you usually “hang out” with your friend(s)? When answering, think about what activities you tend to choose, whether you hang out with one person at once or many, whether or not you initiate the interaction.
I enjoy seeing my core group of friends a couple of times per week. I'm happy to do anything, as long as we're together; I like drinking, because it usually means we can spend hours together, talking about anything that comes to mind. I love a group dynamic. I like hanging out with friends one-on-one, too, but it has to be with a friend with who I have a certain level of chemistry and comfort. I'll happily initiate interactions; sometimes, if no one proposes it, it doesn't happen.

14) What is more important, actions or words? Why?
Actions: anyone, if they're talented enough, can construct whole worlds and fantasies with words. Because it's theoretically impossible to ever properly discern someone's true intentions, actions are always preferable: if, for example, someone we considered 'bad' were to donate all of their wealth to a very deserving charity (or, even better, be involved in a policy that directly helped the most disadvantaged, systemically) this would still be a net good in the world. Words are important, of course: but in terms of good and bad, and these notions of black-and-white issues (which, never exist), compromise is always needed, and it's better to be morally ambiguous but to enact a change, than to be pure of heart, but be unable to actually do anything. Intentions...oftentimes, we always excuse them for ourselves, but find it difficult to extend this to other people. Or, if we do look at other people's intentions, it can lead down a problematic path of being able to justify anything and everything they've done. I feel as though I've experienced this with certain people - I've been so involved in their thought process, that I've seen the world through their lens, and have understood, even though I may condemn what they've done. it's only with separation that you can remove yourself, and regain your own lens, and your own ideals.

17) How do you relate to obsession? Do you tend to "merge" with others or your interests? How do you feel about the idea of doing this?
I'm a very obsessive person. I have hyper-fixations: both in terms of worries or anxieties, and also in terms of interests. if I'm particularly passionate about something - for example, if I've read a novel which I think is the greatest thing ever and has used prose in a previously uncovered way and has tackled themes central to what it means to exist and all of that - then I feel the need to share it with everyone, but I would feel as though I don't do it justice, and I would get frustrated at myself for my inability to convey brilliance. I spend a lot of time in my own mind, in these little dreamworlds inspired by other things. As for merging, I suppose I do take on certain aspects of what I find interesting; I enjoy speaking with others who have their own takes on a similar thing, too; I find it very intellectually stimulating to converse with someone about a mutual interest.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi there! Belated welcome to the forum! You seem a very interesting and intelligent person!

I know you didn't ask for enneagram, but 964 so/sx is jumping out at me so I thought I'd mention it. (I'm not great at MBTI typing so I don't have any good advice there... I don't see any reason to think it's definitely wrong.)

thejapanesehouse

Hi there! Belated welcome to the forum! You seem a very interesting and intelligent person!

I know you didn't ask for enneagram, but 964 so/sx is jumping out at me so I thought I'd mention it. (I'm not great at MBTI typing so I don't have any good advice there... I don't see any reason to think it's definitely wrong.)

Hey! Thank you for the warm welcome (and complements - much appreciated!)

Ooh, that's interesting. I only have a rudimentary understanding of enneagram. Time to do some reading B)