• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

CIA Doesn't Like the Movies That Gets Made About Them

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The CIA’s Official Movie Reviews Are Super Salty - Motherboard

The Central Intelligence Agency isn’t happy about its place in pop culture. We know this because America’s clandestine spy organization takes the time to publish film and book reviews in its internal newsletter Studies in Intelligence. “CIA has always been an easy target for filmmakers looking to exploit themes of corruption and conspiracy in high places,” a CIA review of 2015’s Sicario said.

The CIA has published Studies in Intelligence for decades, and the public can go through its archives. Studies covershistory, tradecraft, semantics, and—like any good general interest magazine—movies and books. Unlike other outlets, however, the CIA reviews movies and TV shows with an eye towards explaining historical inaccuracies and whining about always being the bad guys.

Its review of Sicario is a treasure. The 2015 thriller depicts an idealistic FBI agent getting caught up in a CIA plot in Mexico. It’s a great movie with a sequel on the way. The CIA didn’t like it. “It is a ‘CIA is evil’ conspiracy story, without moral ambiguity or nuance,” authors James Burridge and John Kavanagh said. Which is funny because the morally ambiguity is part of what make Sicario so good....

I mean, the CIA has always been a shining pillar of virtue in clandestine spycraft, I am sure, lol.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, yeah, that whole "waterboarding"/torture schtick, the contra affair, drug trafficking, and whatever else over the years....

They're been so dirty in the past and now complain that there are stories about them getting dirty. Sure, toss in some variety, but you're gonna have to cut the movie industry a little slack...

Beorn

Permabanned
LOL fuck those guys.

FBI and Law enforcement across the country can still be happy that every damn crime show on TV does it's best to brainwash the public into believing that the best thing for innocent people to do is to talk to police without a lawyer. Only guilty people wait for a lawyer.

Of course, nobody should talk to police, ever, without a lawyer... especially if you're innocent.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’m for the abolishment of the CIA and NSA. I think the FBI and Secret Service are necessary evils.

Anyway it’s strange how the CIA is almost universally portrayed as shady and perpetually up to no good in fictional media yet the FBI is seen in a much more positive light in stuff like Criminal Minds, Conspiracy Theory, etc. I’m scared of both. Both have their dark pasts.