• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

but I earned it!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If he threatens to leave a lot, causes drama, and is somewhat incompetent, why does the company keep him on? I am curious from a business psychology POV.

they don't fire anyone who they find to be useful in some manners and when he's doing very basic tasks he is very useful... it's just as soon as you add in anything more complicated that he starts to fuck things up :(

he still refuses to listen to anyone higher than him... or he immediately forgets it, I'm not sure :shrug:

Then I guess all you have to worry about is the transitional period where he will be resentful :)

noooo! he never fully does get over that... like when he looks straight at me and does the opposite of what I've said because he thinks he knows better because he's been there longer... and then something goes wrong :cry:

I guess the problem is that in a basic role he's awesome, but once he does anything more complicated he's a mess... we need to get him over to the other department, but he's very bad at their basic task so when they're not running the higher function that he's good at they'd be screwed over

'tis messy, I say *cries and steams up monocle*

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
they don't fire anyone who they find to be useful in some manners and when he's doing very basic tasks he is very useful... it's just as soon as you add in anything more complicated that he starts to fuck things up :(

he still refuses to listen to anyone higher than him... or he immediately forgets it, I'm not sure :shrug:

noooo! he never fully does get over that... like when he looks straight at me and does the opposite of what I've said because he thinks he knows better because he's been there longer... and then something goes wrong :cry:

I guess the problem is that in a basic role he's awesome, but once he does anything more complicated he's a mess... we need to get him over to the other department, but he's very bad at their basic task so when they're not running the higher function that he's good at they'd be screwed over

'tis messy, I say *cries and steams up monocle*

On the upside, it won't be your issue much longer. :hug:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Normally I am in the seniority camp. Why? Because how long you have been with a company absolutely should matter.

However.. If he's already trained for this position and failed before.. I'd probably preemptively train him before her. As in, If you KNOW he is going to fail, put together measurable bench marks that make sense for the position and see if he can fulfill them. If he fails, then it is an unbiased determination that the other lady can have the same shot after he has failed. It is objective marks for the position, and if he makes it then he should fight for the position.. if he can't hack it, he has no one to blame but himself.

The smart woman is.. admittedly attractive sounding. But. She really has not been there as long. The reality? If she gets all these cool skills, and 2 years later goes somewhere else with all those cool skills, it is ALSO a waste of training and time for your company. Invest in your own people. If she can hack it after he cannot, then sweet and cool and all the fun bubbly things.

As someone who has to work really hard for any job I'm in because I lack some natural talent in these things.. I appreciate someone putting slightly more effort into me when I've put so much into them. It really sounds like this guy is a fuck up but has his uses, which is fine and cool.. but demonstrate that to him.

As far as him having an ego and doing the opposite of things you say.. A gentle but firm "Hey. Listen. I was promoted to this position for a reason. This is what I am saying needs to be done to avoid issues." is what I'd probably do.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Otis sounds like the Dwight Schrute of your workplace :D

I've never been much of a believer in seniority. Most people are going to work hard; it doesn't make them good enough to advance, especially when others who haven't been there as long are better at the job. I also feel bad for Otis, though. He probably thinks there's some unspoken bias against him.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
When I started working I was always confronted with more senior people (less competent than I) trying to keep me down.
I guess the way to spot the difference between that and ego is when I'm in a situation where I can't learn. I'm naturally a learner and grasp stuff pretty quickly so if there's something to be learned from a more experienced person I will sponge it off them.

If I don't learn shit it's usually because I should be the one doing the job of the guy ordering me around. Though I haven't really been in a situation where I've been 'ordered around' since uh, my 1/2nd year of career.

I tend to create my own work environment wherever I go.