• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Are INTP's slow?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I can be slow sometimes because I want to take the time to really understand something in depth from all angles. I've noticed it with my new job. I'll need to keep in mind that they aren't paying me to understand 100% of something necessarily but just enough to get tasks done.
yeah, that's a big lesson to learn in terms of paid work vs natural tendencies. I have had to plan out better on a schedule -- understand enough to do the task well, but not necessarily knowing everything I'd like to.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel they may to be fast at understanding concepts and ideas, but when it comes to learning a more physical task, results probably vary based on multiple factors, including their enthusiasm level for any given task. (Any INTP reading this and thinking they don’t pick up concepts and ideas fast is probably selling themselves short and likely sharper and faster than they think)

I think this is true to a varying degree for N Types. Whereas the reverse may to be the case more often with sensing types? But just speculating and obviously there will always be exceptions

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel they may to be fast at understanding concepts and ideas, but when it comes to learning a more physical task, results probably vary based on multiple factors, including their enthusiasm level for any given task. (Any INTP reading this and thinking they don’t pick up concepts and ideas fast is probably selling themselves short and likely sharper and faster than they think)

I think this is true to a varying degree for N Types. Whereas the reverse may to be the case more often with sensing types? But just speculating and obviously there will always be exceptions

Yeah, sure -- that's been my experience. I am super-quick to grasp what someone is saying (or a framework of ideas), but I've been really frustrated at how hard it has been for me to pick up physical competence. I remember going to SCA and trying to learn sword and board and just struggling with how to move my body -- and that goes for sports and more kinetic activities. I did eventually develop some expertise at tennis but got stuck at a certain skill level and never got past it because I just couldn't figure out how + it would have probably taken many many hours of repetitive practice which I didn't have the motivation for.

practice is general has always been my bane. I have been pretty accomplished as a musician but my flaw was always relying more on my emotional and intuitive abilities for music, rather than actually just doing the hard practice work to fine tune. The good thing (for piano as an example) is that it was about fine-dexterity, not full body, so I found it much easier than full-body activities. But I still didn't practice nearly enough.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, sure -- that's been my experience. I am super-quick to grasp what someone is saying (or a framework of ideas), but I've been really frustrated at how hard it has been for me to pick up physical competence. I remember going to SCA and trying to learn sword and board and just struggling with how to move my body -- and that goes for sports and more kinetic activities. I did eventually develop some expertise at tennis but got stuck at a certain skill level and never got past it because I just couldn't figure out how + it would have probably taken many many hours of repetitive practice which I didn't have the motivation for.

practice is general has always been my bane. I have been pretty accomplished as a musician but my flaw was always relying more on my emotional and intuitive abilities for music, rather than actually just doing the hard practice work to fine tune. The good thing (for piano as an example) is that it was about fine-dexterity, not full body, so I found it much easier than full-body activities. But I still didn't practice nearly enough.
I never practiced much, so while I had a very good ear and became pretty good at certain things, I also never became much of a virtuoso on any one instrument. Music theory I understand, but I never made much effort to understand it in a way that was more practical (i.e. learning to sight read sheet music).

They say discipline comes with age? I recently started playing again, but this time I am doing more of the "boring" stuff such as practicing scales and just working on my general technical abilities.

I do really envy a lot of these ISxP musicians who just seem to become warriors with their instruments and/or voices. And they tend to do it in style too.