• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any personal strategies for dealing with the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
  1. So do you have any personal strategies to escape the valley if despair, and get over being a midwit? Do you just do what a dumber you would do? I have been confidently stubborn and wrong plenty of times using that strategy myself.
My problem is I generally have a despairing backdrop where i can question if everything is unknowable to me. I do try to stay in mental limbo on a lot of topics, including serious ones, so there are only a minorities of notions that I have certitude about. Sometimes I will have a narrower range of uncertainty that correlates with my knowledge. Although there have likely been occasions when I overestimated what I know, but I try not to do that. I feel anxiety about some things I don't know well enough - medical and technological come to mind. Edit: I think my strategy is to give myself permission to be in limbo and not know with certitude - to find peace in that state.
  1. How do you deal with people who have no idea what they are talking about trying to force opinions on you?
I use a lot of avoidance. If they present an emotional context, I will sometimes, at least recently, get rigorously non-emotional. I learned that from living with INTPs for 20 years. What annoys me the most is when strangers start telling me who I am, what my motivations, thoughts, and feelings are. They verifiably have no idea what they are talking about. I recently responded to that with "who I am and what I feel is irrelevant". It deflects the conversation going there and has an intentionally brutal and unexpected quality. Sometimes I will use a diplomacy tactic where I reference one comment and say we agree, but then state my position. I also sometimes feel an inward despair that humanity is doomed, and feel extreme frustration and almost panic, so withdraw at that point.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Always remember deep down...you're an idiot. If you start to forget that, you're walking a thin line towards ruin...if you forget it entirely...you're playing the fool.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Always remember deep down...you're an idiot. If you start to forget that, you're walking a thin line towards ruin...if you forget it entirely...you're playing the fool.
But sometimes you have to think you are capable and that's the only way you can avoid paralysis