• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

8-year-old Cardiac Arrest

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I see a lot of things as a paramedic. I see elderly persons who are all alone, with not a single loved one. I see 50 year olds having chest pains and heart attacks. I see the devastating results of alcohol and drug addiction. And death. This one I think about the most:

I met her mother first. She was inconsolably sobbing, and couldn't walk without falling over. A nurse had to help her into the hospital.

I opened the side door of the ambulance and hopped in. There she was. A small, frail, 8-year-old, with her eyes open and tears coming from them. A firefighter was pumping her chest, and a paramedic was helping her breathe. 20 minutes ago her heart stopped, and hasn't started again since.

In the resuscitation bay of the emergency department, they tried everything. Continuous chest compressions, intubation, defibrillation, epinephrine. They called the surgeon out of a non-emergency surgery he was doing. He opened her chest to attach a machine that would circulate her blood (the same function that the heart does). It would give her a few more hours, but she didn't make it.

What horrible accident resulted in this? Drunk driver? House fire? Poison? Turns out it was a congenital issue; She was born with it. She was having breakfast when suddenly she said “Mom, I don't feel good” before collapsing to the floor.

Please appreciate the sacredness of your life. It may not always feel that way. I, for one, have been through deep depression and came out the other side. Your time here on earth is precious. You have so few moments in this life. Please, please make the best of it.

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
That is truly sad. I can't imagine losing one of my girls like that.:cry:

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I understand why this stays with you.

On the day that my husband's heart mis-fired unexpectedly and he was lost to us, the paramedics were life-savers even though they were not able to actually do so. They treated me with respect and honoured my questions. They commended me for doing CPR before taking over and didn't try to make me leave the room when things got intense.

I appreciate what you do.