• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Orangey's Type Post-500 Post Count?

What type is Orangey?

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Okay :). Thanks for your help. It's unfortunately a little too early in the morning for me to analyze anything. I will have to come back later on ;).

hmmm it's never too early for a true INTP to analyze something!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Well I'll say INTP, because when you listed all those things about yourself, many of them, on an MBTI test, would point you towards INTP.

Is that what you test as? Do you remember your percentages?

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Without reading any of this thread, I'd say you're definitely an INTP. Because of the things that you say and the way that you say them.

Last edited:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well I'll say INTP, because when you listed all those things about yourself, many of them, on an MBTI test, would point you towards INTP.

Is that what you test as? Do you remember your percentages?

I don't remember exact percentages, but I do know that my T/F were fairly close (though not equal). I've tested a couple of times as an INFP, but on most tests it's INTP.

About the things I listed; I tried to be as honest as possible about myself, but I know that there is a tendency to think that the information is pre-selected to fit a certain desired profile. I tried to avoid that (as much as possible, though I may not be the best detector of my own bullshit), and I really wanted it to go off of my forum behavior, like Colmena posted.

Anyways thanks to you both ^^ for responding :).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Well off of forum behavior, you really don't seem INFP at all. But, heart, who is a member of this forum, is an INFP and by her posting, to me, seems very T in that what she decides to post looks like it's coming from a detached, logical and consistent place.

You said you were embarrassed by displays of emotion in another thread, maybe you repress feeling and emotions to a certain degree? Maybe you try not to make feeling based decisions because they had negative effects in the past?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well off of forum behavior, you really don't seem INFP at all. But, heart, who is a member of this forum, is an INFP and by her posting, to me, seems very T in that what she decides to post looks like it's coming from a detached, logical and consistent place.

Yes, that's true. I could be simply using learned academic speak to seem more detached than I really am. If I do that, though, it is totally unconscious. It would be too much effort to keep up a 'front', if you will, for as many months as I've been on the forum (3 or 4).

You said you were embarrassed by displays of emotion in another thread, maybe you repress feeling and emotions to a certain degree? Maybe you try not to make feeling based decisions because they had negative effects in the past?

Well I certainly do repress my emotions. For instance I will sometimes repress being very angry when I am feeling that way, so that I don't make a fool out of myself and say something that I'd regret.

I don't think I've had any past negative experiences, though, that would drive this. A general fear of embarrassment and looking like an idiot is the underlying motive for much of my action (especially as it relates to emotion or actions based off emotions).

Edit: Thanks for your input dissonance!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Okay, now two months later (about 700 posts later) I am still unsure of my type. But this time it's not about the T/F axis, but rather the J/P. So here goes...

Oh, and I apologize again for the further whoring of attention...two months in between a personal-type-crisis-post feels too short. I'm sure it gets annoying.

Alright, so I always assumed that I was a P because I seem to suffer from chronic laziness and procrastination (and consequently answered questions such as "do you do your work ahead of time or right before the deadline" like a P would, choosing the latter option). However, I've heard from a few people that these are things that can afflict both P and J types, and that it is something more fundamental that makes one a P or a J. In short, I am concerned that I am either continually deceiving myself or basing my type decisions on erroneous stereotypes. As such I am asking for third party clarification once more. Here goes...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• When I have a project or an assignment to do, such as a major paper, I usually start by making a general overview plan of what I need to do. This does not include dates or scheduled times (I would never keep them anyway), but there is always a plan.

• However, after making said plan, I become over-satisfied and feel like I'm in control since I know exactly what needs to be done and what steps to take to do it. Consequently, I slack off and don't actually end up doing the project until three or four days before the due date. Sometimes less, depending on how much time I know the project will take me to complete.

• When I do finally sit down to do the project, I filter out all irrelevant information (at least the information that I deem irrelevant, even though it may not be in reality) and do it according to the original plan. I don't usually tamper with it or add new information, I just do it straight through...unaltered. That's the easiest way. I will sometimes even consciously ignore relevant information and take my chances that the prof will not notice, and I'm continually flabbergasted when they don't and I get an A.

• When I do this, though, I never feel like I've done my best work. I always feel like it's come up short.

• If I start the project too late, or with less time than what I know it will take to complete, I will think of several plans to get my deadline extended with little or no consequences. I will weigh the loss of grade due to bad quality versus the loss of grade due to overdue penalties, and decide which one is less and take the hit from there.

More to come...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
  • I am frequently late for class and for appointments.

• It makes me incredibly uneasy to be late, though, and when it happens I am usually in a state of near panic. Lots of anxiety about it, and I always plan on being early, I just rarely ever make it.

• I really like to have things decided on in advance, if only to make a cursory mental plan of how I should behave in a given situation, and what I should expect.

• The above is not usually manifested externally because even though I prefer to have things decided, I will not jump down people's throats to satisfy that need. I prefer to let others decide things for themselves, even at the expense of my own need for closure.

• My car and my apartment are super organized. My closet, for example, has the clothes arranged by category (e.g., jeans, button-ups, t-shirts, jackets).

• My drawers and cabinets are similarly arranged and categorized. I rarely lose things, unless I have a sensotard moment.

• Having to do things in a rush makes me feel flustered and disorganized.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
  • My brother, who is an extreme P (he does the chaos method, where shit is everywhere but he knows exactly where stuff is) annoys the hell out of me. I always have to direct him to do things, or else they never get done.

• People's indecisiveness bothers me a little. For instance, I always yell at my friend because he can never decide what he wants to eat. This makes me appear (and feel) hypocritical because there are times when I genuinely don't know what I want either, which he reminds me of.

• I never really have moments where I'm undecided about something important. I am always usually decided, but I change my mind at later times frequently. This makes people think I'm inconsistent, so I've stopped telling them my initial decisions. This is why I have tried my best to slip out of the pressure of declaring what area my dissertation will focus on, even though I kind of already know.

• I tend to waste lots of time doing things that are extraneous to my central goals. I don't multitask, though.

• I make requests in the informing style most of the time, and I give directions in the directing style. Especially to my students, or if someone needs to know exactly what to do.

• I make lists of what I need to do. It gives me a jolt pleasure to cross out tasks once I've completed them.

• In group work, when people suggest unrealistic or irrelevant ideas that won't help get the project done, or doesn't fit the project criteria, I get annoyed.

• I am generally a laid back person. I rarely boss people around (except my brother, but that's usually because he needs to do something before I can do what I need to do, so it interferes with me). I definitely don't do the taskmaster thing.

Okay, that's it I think. Hopefully some kind soul will read through this tripe and give me their opinion. Advanced thanks are in order for anyone who makes it through (even if you only skim) :).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I can relate to a lot of those things, even some of the J-like ones, and I'm definitely not a J.

You say you don't multitask/you make some plans/are fairly organized, but at the same time you are generally okay with time pressure and work close to deadlines and like to keep options open and you seem laid back and open minded. I think you are more P than J. INTP or INTX might be the two most accurate labels.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I can relate to a lot of those things, even some of the J-like ones, and I'm definitely not a J.

You say you don't multitask/you make some plans/are fairly organized, but at the same time you are generally okay with time pressure and work close to deadlines and like to keep options open and you seem laid back and open minded. I think you are more P than J. INTP or INTX might be the two most accurate labels.

Thanks for the input. As for being "okay with" time pressure and working near a deadline, I don't like it. It makes me feel like a failure each time I do it, and it gives me a heart attack...I always very much regret not having started it earlier (though I usually already have a written plan of what needs to be done and when...it's just the doing part that gets me). Every time. I'm very lazy. Is this something that you experience?

Are Ps more likely to be lazy procrastinators than Js? And I don't mean to say that Ps are all procrastinators...just that if someone happens to be lazy and a procrastinator, is the likelihood of them being P greater than the likelihood of their being J?

Oh, and don't get me wrong. If the project is of particular importance, I will not do it at the last minute. For example, I had a twenty page paper that's due this coming Friday, and I'm almost completely done with it. It just needs some adjustment before I turn it in, but for the most part it went according to plan (research, outline, write, rewrite, minor editing). I won't say that's typical of my behavior, though, since if there's some annoying or irrelevant project I have to do that I know is easy and won't benefit me in any way to be more thorough, I will put it to the back of the priority list and end up doing it a couple of days beforehand (like a fifteen page pedagogical issue paper that I know the prof won't even end up reading, so I'm not going to bother working on it just now).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for the input. As for being "okay with" time pressure and working near a deadline, I don't like it. It makes me feel like a failure each time I do it, and it gives me a heart attack...I always very much regret not having started it earlier (though I usually already have a written plan of what needs to be done and when...it's just the doing part that gets me). Every time. I'm very lazy. Is this something that you experience?

I don't get a heart attack, but I do get some level of angst in those times. Like with school, I'd push everything to the last minute (going to class/assignments) and would regret it every time it happened, and I would make little plans on how stop doing it. Definitely got a lot of grief from it.

But since it's my natural disposition to almost always wait until the deadline is near, I count that as P behavior, regardless of whether or not it's enjoyable. I certainly don't like it, but on some level, I must be okay with it, because I keep doing it.

Are Ps more likely to be lazy procrastinators than Js? And I don't mean to say that Ps are all procrastinators...just that if someone happens to be lazy and a procrastinator, is the likelihood of them being P greater than the likelihood of their being J?

Oh, and don't get me wrong. If the project is of particular importance, I will not do it at the last minute. For example, I had a twenty page paper that's due this coming Friday, and I'm almost completely done with it. It just needs some adjustment before I turn it in, but for the most part it went according to plan (research, outline, write, rewrite, minor editing). I won't say that's typical of my behavior, though, since if there's some annoying or irrelevant project I have to do that I know is easy and won't benefit me in any way to be more thorough, I will put it to the back of the priority list and end up doing it a couple of days beforehand (like a fifteen page pedagogical issue paper that I know the prof won't even end up reading, so I'm not going to bother working on it just now).

When a project really interests me, or if I consider it very important, I'll go about it in J-fashion. Usually at some point I burn out, and have to return to it later. I think this might be true of many or most Ps.

It seems there has to be a strong correlation between P and procrastination. A lot of the J/P questions on the MBTI test go something like:

Are you usually never late for your appointments?
..and things to that effect.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
So you are saying that you are J who hasn't figured itself yet?

In a way, yes. I'm saying that I may have misunderstood what it meant to be a J or a P. As you're probably aware, stereotypes abound on the matter, and now I'm not sure if I've been measuring myself or others to a proper standard.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't exactly get a heart attack, but I do get some level of angst in those times. Like with school, I'd push everything to the last minute (going to class/assignments) and would regret it every time it happened, and I would make little plans on how stop doing it. Definitely got a lot of grief from it.

But since it's my natural disposition to almost always wait until the deadline is near, I count that as P behavior, regardless of whether or not it's enjoyable. I certainly don't like it, but on some level, I must be okay with it, because I keep doing it.

When a project really interests me, or if I consider it very important, I'll go about it in J-fashion. Usually at some point I burn out, and have to return to it later. I think this might be true of many or most Ps.

It seems there has to be a strong correlation between P and procrastination. A lot of the J/P questions on the MBTI test go something like:

Are you usually never late for your appointments?
..and things to that effect.

Most of this is true for me as well. Except the bolded part. If I do something "J style" I do it in workable increments. Every time I do a huge project the night before it's due, that's when I burn out. I'll complete it, but I'll probably not want to touch the subject matter again for a while.

And yeah, they do have questions like those. It's why I always typed myself as P, because I figured that since I am frequently late for school (not really appointments), there's really no way I can be a J.

It would be interesting to hear input from some real J's.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In a way, yes. I'm saying that I may have misunderstood what it meant to be a J or a P. As you're probably aware, stereotypes abound on the matter, and now I'm not sure if I've been measuring myself or others to a proper standard.

This is exactly why I asked. When I discoverd MBTI, J was my weakest letter but it was J. As I went deeper it turned that not only that I am J I am very J.
It turned out that my very well developed INT part figured out that it would be smart to act more like others since entire environment is kind a P. Plus there is no point to plan since everything is sponatneous and there was no reason not to adept.
What is your story I don't know but you sound like a P in general
But it could be that environment is simply to forceful and you have rebeled.

The thing is that Ps are creating a steroetype that J=SJ what is not correct. If you ever come across percentages of types in society it will be clear to you why this stereotype stands.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
This is exactly why I asked. When I discoverd MBTI, J was my weakest letter but it was J. As I went deeper it turned that not only that I am J I am very J.
It turned out that my very well developed INT part figured out that it would be smart to act more like others since entire environment is kind a P. Plus there is no point to plan since everything is sponatneous and there was no reason not to adept.
What is your story I don't know but you sound like a P in general
But it could be that environment is simply to forceful and you have rebeled.

The thing is that Ps are creating a steroetype that J=SJ what is not correct. If you ever come across percentages of types in society it will be clear to you why this stereotype stands.

That's interesting that your environment was a strongly "P" one, or so you say. Where are you from?

As to "my story", I don't really have anything in particular that would make me a false P (that would be similar to the reasons that you thought you were a weak J). I'm just saying that I never really regarded the P/J distinction as something controversial for me, because I'm always late and I generally find rules to be constraining to live under (and arbitrary). Now I'm reconsidering because I also, at the same time (1) am always organized, (2) neat, (3) fairly perfectionistic, and (4) uncomfortable without a plan (i.e., uncomfortable with spontaneity). And I don't really know which factors are most important for determining that preference.

Edit: Ah, so chronic lateness does = P. Unequivocally?