User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is Orangey?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

8 61.54%
  • INTJ

4 30.77%
  • INFJ

1 7.69%
  • INFP

0 0%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

• My brother, who is an extreme P (he does the chaos method, where shit is everywhere but he knows exactly where stuff is) annoys the hell out of me. I always have to direct him to do things, or else they never get done.

• People's indecisiveness bothers me a little. For instance, I always yell at my friend because he can never decide what he wants to eat. This makes me appear (and feel) hypocritical because there are times when I genuinely don't know what I want either, which he reminds me of.

• I never really have moments where I'm undecided about something important. I am always usually decided, but I change my mind at later times frequently. This makes people think I'm inconsistent, so I've stopped telling them my initial decisions. This is why I have tried my best to slip out of the pressure of declaring what area my dissertation will focus on, even though I kind of already know.

• I tend to waste lots of time doing things that are extraneous to my central goals. I don't multitask, though.

• I make requests in the informing style most of the time, and I give directions in the directing style. Especially to my students, or if someone needs to know exactly what to do.

• I make lists of what I need to do. It gives me a jolt pleasure to cross out tasks once I've completed them.

• In group work, when people suggest unrealistic or irrelevant ideas that won't help get the project done, or doesn't fit the project criteria, I get annoyed.

• I am generally a laid back person. I rarely boss people around (except my brother, but that's usually because he needs to do something before I can do what I need to do, so it interferes with me). I definitely don't do the taskmaster thing.

Okay, that's it I think. Hopefully some kind soul will read through this tripe and give me their opinion. Advanced thanks are in order for anyone who makes it through (even if you only skim) .
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I can relate to a lot of those things, even some of the J-like ones, and I'm definitely not a J.

You say you don't multitask/you make some plans/are fairly organized, but at the same time you are generally okay with time pressure and work close to deadlines and like to keep options open and you seem laid back and open minded. I think you are more P than J. INTP or INTX might be the two most accurate labels.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I can relate to a lot of those things, even some of the J-like ones, and I'm definitely not a J.

You say you don't multitask/you make some plans/are fairly organized, but at the same time you are generally okay with time pressure and work close to deadlines and like to keep options open and you seem laid back and open minded. I think you are more P than J. INTP or INTX might be the two most accurate labels.
    Thanks for the input. As for being "okay with" time pressure and working near a deadline, I don't like it. It makes me feel like a failure each time I do it, and it gives me a heart attack...I always very much regret not having started it earlier (though I usually already have a written plan of what needs to be done and when...it's just the doing part that gets me). Every time. I'm very lazy. Is this something that you experience?

Are Ps more likely to be lazy procrastinators than Js? And I don't mean to say that Ps are all procrastinators...just that if someone happens to be lazy and a procrastinator, is the likelihood of them being P greater than the likelihood of their being J?

Oh, and don't get me wrong. If the project is of particular importance, I will not do it at the last minute. For example, I had a twenty page paper that's due this coming Friday, and I'm almost completely done with it. It just needs some adjustment before I turn it in, but for the most part it went according to plan (research, outline, write, rewrite, minor editing). I won't say that's typical of my behavior, though, since if there's some annoying or irrelevant project I have to do that I know is easy and won't benefit me in any way to be more thorough, I will put it to the back of the priority list and end up doing it a couple of days beforehand (like a fifteen page pedagogical issue paper that I know the prof won't even end up reading, so I'm not going to bother working on it just now).

So you are saying that you are J who hasn't figured itself yet?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Thanks for the input. As for being "okay with" time pressure and working near a deadline, I don't like it. It makes me feel like a failure each time I do it, and it gives me a heart attack...I always very much regret not having started it earlier (though I usually already have a written plan of what needs to be done and when...it's just the doing part that gets me). Every time. I'm very lazy. Is this something that you experience?
    I don't get a heart attack, but I do get some level of angst in those times. Like with school, I'd push everything to the last minute (going to class/assignments) and would regret it every time it happened, and I would make little plans on how stop doing it. Definitely got a lot of grief from it.

But since it's my natural disposition to almost always wait until the deadline is near, I count that as P behavior, regardless of whether or not it's enjoyable. I certainly don't like it, but on some level, I must be okay with it, because I keep doing it.

Are Ps more likely to be lazy procrastinators than Js? And I don't mean to say that Ps are all procrastinators...just that if someone happens to be lazy and a procrastinator, is the likelihood of them being P greater than the likelihood of their being J?

Oh, and don't get me wrong. If the project is of particular importance, I will not do it at the last minute. For example, I had a twenty page paper that's due this coming Friday, and I'm almost completely done with it. It just needs some adjustment before I turn it in, but for the most part it went according to plan (research, outline, write, rewrite, minor editing). I won't say that's typical of my behavior, though, since if there's some annoying or irrelevant project I have to do that I know is easy and won't benefit me in any way to be more thorough, I will put it to the back of the priority list and end up doing it a couple of days beforehand (like a fifteen page pedagogical issue paper that I know the prof won't even end up reading, so I'm not going to bother working on it just now).
    When a project really interests me, or if I consider it very important, I'll go about it in J-fashion. Usually at some point I burn out, and have to return to it later. I think this might be true of many or most Ps.

It seems there has to be a strong correlation between P and procrastination. A lot of the J/P questions on the MBTI test go something like:

Are you usually never late for your appointments?
    ..and things to that effect.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    So you are saying that you are J who hasn't figured itself yet?
    In a way, yes. I'm saying that I may have misunderstood what it meant to be a J or a P. As you're probably aware, stereotypes abound on the matter, and now I'm not sure if I've been measuring myself or others to a proper standard.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't exactly get a heart attack, but I do get some level of angst in those times. Like with school, I'd push everything to the last minute (going to class/assignments) and would regret it every time it happened, and I would make little plans on how stop doing it. Definitely got a lot of grief from it.

But since it's my natural disposition to almost always wait until the deadline is near, I count that as P behavior, regardless of whether or not it's enjoyable. I certainly don't like it, but on some level, I must be okay with it, because I keep doing it.

When a project really interests me, or if I consider it very important, I'll go about it in J-fashion. Usually at some point I burn out, and have to return to it later. I think this might be true of many or most Ps.

It seems there has to be a strong correlation between P and procrastination. A lot of the J/P questions on the MBTI test go something like:

Are you usually never late for your appointments?
    ..and things to that effect.
    Most of this is true for me as well. Except the bolded part. If I do something "J style" I do it in workable increments. Every time I do a huge project the night before it's due, that's when I burn out. I'll complete it, but I'll probably not want to touch the subject matter again for a while.

And yeah, they do have questions like those. It's why I always typed myself as P, because I figured that since I am frequently late for school (not really appointments), there's really no way I can be a J.

It would be interesting to hear input from some real J's.

In a way, yes. I'm saying that I may have misunderstood what it meant to be a J or a P. As you're probably aware, stereotypes abound on the matter, and now I'm not sure if I've been measuring myself or others to a proper standard.
    This is exactly why I asked. When I discoverd MBTI, J was my weakest letter but it was J. As I went deeper it turned that not only that I am J I am very J.
    It turned out that my very well developed INT part figured out that it would be smart to act more like others since entire environment is kind a P. Plus there is no point to plan since everything is sponatneous and there was no reason not to adept.
    What is your story I don't know but you sound like a P in general
    But it could be that environment is simply to forceful and you have rebeled.

The thing is that Ps are creating a steroetype that J=SJ what is not correct. If you ever come across percentages of types in society it will be clear to you why this stereotype stands.

If you are always late you are not J.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    This is exactly why I asked. When I discoverd MBTI, J was my weakest letter but it was J. As I went deeper it turned that not only that I am J I am very J.
    It turned out that my very well developed INT part figured out that it would be smart to act more like others since entire environment is kind a P. Plus there is no point to plan since everything is sponatneous and there was no reason not to adept.
    What is your story I don't know but you sound like a P in general
    But it could be that environment is simply to forceful and you have rebeled.

The thing is that Ps are creating a steroetype that J=SJ what is not correct. If you ever come across percentages of types in society it will be clear to you why this stereotype stands.
    That's interesting that your environment was a strongly "P" one, or so you say. Where are you from?

As to "my story", I don't really have anything in particular that would make me a false P (that would be similar to the reasons that you thought you were a weak J). I'm just saying that I never really regarded the P/J distinction as something controversial for me, because I'm always late and I generally find rules to be constraining to live under (and arbitrary). Now I'm reconsidering because I also, at the same time (1) am always organized, (2) neat, (3) fairly perfectionistic, and (4) uncomfortable without a plan (i.e., uncomfortable with spontaneity). And I don't really know which factors are most important for determining that preference.

Edit: Ah, so chronic lateness does = P. Unequivocally?