• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inconclusive Chimaera

Chimaera

Hi all, I'm a girl, 28 years old.

I'm looking for insights about my type, especially on T/F side and a little bit less on N/S side.

T/F side confusion:
If I'm F, I have poor feelings. In the sense, I don't experience feelings often, and when I connect myself with others I don't use them to do it. On the other side, I value others like human being, I respect them and I try to take care of them and their feelings at my best. if I recognize they need help, I try to fix their problems instead of taking care of them emotionally (I really don't know from which side I have to start to be empathic). Usually people are not my focus, anyway.
If I'm T, I haven't these laws and logic principles to follow internally or externally. It's true that I'm focused on processes, how things work and how each thing relates to others, but structure and laws are something I prefer to manipulate instead to follow. Anyway I prefer logical consistence and I search the why in others behavior, words and thoughts.

S/N side confusion:
If I'm S I'm too less focused on what's going on around me, or what I've experienced before. I don't learn from the past, every situation has its own dynamics and so different results. I'm interested in process, (if this happen, this one and this one will happen too) and I look at how things fit each other, and what is the most likely outcome from that. What I learn is exactly: if this happen, this one and this one will happen too.
If I'm N: I experience poorly 'ah-ah' moments or 'scatter brain' states. I tend to see different sides of situations, and I try to balance different perspectives, always. When I understand things is always for comparison between different processes, or group of actions that need to be verified together to give the outcome (pattern). I can start from outcomes and see the pattern below to compare them. I strive to understand things essence, putting the same thing in different contexts and understanding every time the different meaning in different contexts to find the soul of it. Sometimes I feel like I'm perceiving and analyzing stuffs at the same time, and this is not possible. I think at an outcome that is likely, and I remain open to whatever will come.

These are my difficulties, briefly. If you have other questions to understand well and divide well functions, I will reply. Thanks a lot.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on what you are saying, I think you are NT. T because you are more focused on processes. T doesn't mean that you prefer to follow structures and laws. Many T's prefer to manipulate those. Because of the desire to change these things I would go so far as to say your T is Te.

I think N for you because N is all AH HA moments. It is also this:
I tend to see different sides of situations, and I try to balance different perspectives, always. When I understand things is always for comparison between different processes, or group of actions that need to be verified together to give the outcome (pattern). I can start from outcomes and see the pattern below to compare them. I strive to understand things essence, putting the same thing in different contexts and understanding every time the different meaning in different contexts to find the soul of it. Sometimes I feel like I'm perceiving and analyzing stuffs at the same time, and this is not possible.

That constant looking for patterns and context and trying to use these things to predict others, I feel, is a Ni preference.

That is my two cents on the matter. Please don't take it as fact and keep asking yourself questions. Also, welcome to the forum.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well you win the title of the year for what’s my type threads.

Chimaera

Thank you for replies :)

Based on what you are saying, I think you are NT. T because you are more focused on processes. T doesn't mean that you prefer to follow structures and laws. Many T's prefer to manipulate those. Because of the desire to change these things I would go so far as to say your T is Te.

I think N for you because N is all AH HA moments. It is also this:

That constant looking for patterns and context and trying to use these things to predict others, I feel, is a Ni preference.

That is my two cents on the matter. Please don't take it as fact and keep asking yourself questions. Also, welcome to the forum.

I have trouble to divide myself in one of the 4 rationals.

My mind for sure works in patterns, but I would say in the past I was more an intuitive, now I'm focusing more on analyzing and describing rationally what I see in the world, or in my mind, and understanding in this way how things will develop...

IDK, maybe I'm developing a function that is not my leading one, in this period of my life?

Ne

Pros: Looking at different sides of a subject, I can use things in a way that is non contextual, or I put together ideas to create new concepts that I can use in a flexible way.
Cons: I don't debate ideas for the sake of, but because exploring different contexts I can arrive at new insight about the meaning and the essence of that thing.

Ti
Pros: I try to connect things in a whole that is logical in some way (at least for me). I shape alll (behaviours, situations, etc) in models, and I compare them trying to find differences to predict what will be. Example: I don't remind people faces or details, only a 'behavior-print' that helps me to predict consequences when I see the same behavior in others.
Cons: Although people say that my mind works in 'schemes' and that is organized, I can say that this is not true. I can't 'feel' the Ti precise structure, I'm never precise in words or processes, I just use structure to accomplish my goal. Structure and categorization is not my main focus.

Te
Pros: I want to be efficient, so I try to organize all in a way that is consistent, where all is stucked together like Lego Blocks to build a solid process. I value scientific method.
Cons: Even if facts tell me something, I tend to remain skeptical about them and to find what is behind facts themselves to double check my theory. I try to search proofs that can demolish my thesis, putting the same facts in different contexts and trying to define in a good way 'experimental conditions'. I shape general theories and whole systems later.

Ni
Pros: I create mental images and I explore them actively. I try to synthesize a lot of things into one through visual associations, connections and similar meanings. I strive to understand ow things will develop precisely.
Cons: I can't develop a long long time strategy. I usually think few steps before, valuing the best move to do every time, but this is my limit. Too deep into future for me is a problem.

Which one is the most likely in your opinion?

Thanks for reply and for welcome :)

Well you win the title of the year for what’s my type threads.

LOL well, now that I read it again... it's particular :)

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is very possible that you are beginning to strengthen a function. We are all evolving people and change throughout our lives. Your description of your intuition sounds very Ni to me. You say that you have a hard time planning far ahead. That could be because your T function is still developing. Also Ni might not be your dominant function. The far ahead planners tend to be Ni doms INTJ's and INFJ's.

As to Te vs Ti. Do you apply logic to your surroundings in order to "get shit done" or do use your logic to gain a complete and detailed understanding of concepts. The "getting it done" mentality is more Te.

Also keep in mind these are gross generalities, and also preferences. Even if you figure out what type you are, everyone in that type is a little different. For example, I am an INTJ which are notorious for not being very good at understanding people. But one of my INTJ passions is human behavior. This has always made me unusually good, for an INTJ, at being able to talk to people and understand their motives.

We've been discussing N and T, but what of the other categories? I/E or P/J.

Chimaera

It is very possible that you are beginning to strengthen a function. We are all evolving people and change throughout our lives. Your description of your intuition sounds very Ni to me. You say that you have a hard time planning far ahead. That could be because your T function is still developing. Also Ni might not be your dominant function. The far ahead planners tend to be Ni doms INTJ's and INFJ's.

As to Te vs Ti. Do you apply logic to your surroundings in order to "get shit done" or do use your logic to gain a complete and detailed understanding of concepts. The "getting it done" mentality is more Te.

Also keep in mind these are gross generalities, and also preferences. Even if you figure out what type you are, everyone in that type is a little different. For example, I am an INTJ which are notorious for not being very good at understanding people. But one of my INTJ passions is human behavior. This has always made me unusually good, for an INTJ, at being able to talk to people and understand their motives.

We've been discussing N and T, but what of the other categories? I/E or P/J.

E/I:

Pros E: I like to find truths in everything (situations and people) even if I dislike these truths. I strive to be objective, and to don't devaluate too much the facts.
Se I interact with outside world a lot. I don't look for details or concrete stuffs in people and things, but I engage physical activity regularly. Every sport can stimulate my mind and let me to develop a strategy to survive, or to analyze a system, it's mine. For this reason most of the sports I practice are outdoor.
Fe I don't manage well feelings, and I don't use them to make harmony with others or to have things from others. I try to don't hurt others, but if it is necessary to say a truth, I'm a little bit too much direct. I'm trying to improve this side of me because I don't want to be unecessary evil, but for me to know the truth, even if it's not good, is the best thing someone can do for me. I think that acting on truths can help me to make good steps and walk my path smoothly. I think this is one of the 2 functions that I value less.

Pros I: I focus always on what there is under facts. I ask myself why someone or something is in that way, I search causes of problems and for people behavior. This is actually a problem, because when I speak with others the other one usually is speaking about what is the problem, and I'm speaking about what caused it and why and how it signs the problem development, and what is necessary to do to avoid mistakes... people see only 'the problem' and we argue because 'lack of understanding' by my side. Discussing ONLY the facts for me is painful, because in some way I see that not ALL the truth is inside them. I need to switch perspective a lot, and to put all together after that to see the optimal problem resolution.
Si This is the second function I think I have less. I'm not focused on standards to compare all and understand which thing is closer to the standard to be ok. I have references, like someone use a compass to navigate the sea, but I don't check these standards to be sure that what I'm experiencing is known.
Fi Well, there are things that I wouldn't do never, even if I need to. I try to don't cross too much my value lines, but it's true that I haven't so many of them. Also, I've noticed that heavy Fi people have 'feelings' toward all (people, things, situations). I could say I have goals, things that I want to accomplish, but not feelings toward them. I just reason in consequences and if them are bad for me and my goal, I tend to avoid them. If I dislike them, I avoid them (maybe Fi, but not high?).

J/P

Pros J: I plan my activities extensively and in a way that is efficient. Deadlines help me, if I haven't them I can be inconclusive, so often I set them for me. I planned my activity during my PhD (3 years old planned the first month, the time to understand what and how to do).

Pros P: I can change my plans if I find something that has higher priority to do. So, it's like I paint a path, and then I define it precisely at every step. If new opportunities arise and can help me to reach a better goal, I incorporate them into the original plan or I can change parts of it.

About intra-type differences, I know that. I try for this reason to focus on functions, I would like to try to make a 'mental map' of them, to understand how them developed and how to be healthy and integrate well things that I'm not so good at manage, or that I dislike and that irritate me.

Some more info:

I prefer to work alone, or alone in a team. In this period I'm working with a boss that gives me just little pieces of knowledge (do this, do that) and I have no idea about the general project. This frustrates me, because I need the general before the details and I tend to start to think in so many directions that I confuse myself a little bit. I would like to have a general instruction or goal to reach and I will work in a way that is effective.

I need a lot of time alone to 'charge my batteries' but if I'm forced to be alone for long time, I start to become not healthy. I want to choose to stay alone, not to be alone. I need to feel that things are 'running' even if I'm resting, the sensation that the world goes on around me, or I feel depressed soon.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for your very detailed responses. I think you might be an INTJ. A lot of what you says sounds like me when I was younger. When you say you need a general goal before you focus on details, I really think that is Te at work. You need that goal to move towards, the task that needs finished. That is what Te is all about, getting stuff done. When your imagination is going wild without that definite goal, that is probably your Ni at work, without the Te focus. I'm the same way, I despise working without a clear and established goal in mind. You are not really comfortable dealing with feelings and emotions, however you have moral lines (however few) that you will not cross. With an INTJ Fi is the tertiary function, thus not very developed when young. If you are an INTJ, as you get older you will develop that more and have more of those moral lines and more comfort with emotions. But it probably never be a strong point, INTJ's have Fi in their stacking but they are not Fi heavy. Fi light perhaps :). And inferior Se manifests in your physical activities in order to stimulate your mind and develop survival strategies. Se heavy people exercise because it's fun, or they want to look good (gross oversimplification alert). You also said that you strive to understand truths about people and situations. This is a similar sentiment that I, and other INTJ's I've known, share. Also my INFJ wife does too (both types being Ni doms). I don't really get a Fe vibe off of you though, so I don't think you are an INFJ.

All rambling aside, that is my opinion. Others may disagree, but you kind of remind me of a younger me.

Chimaera

Thank you for your very detailed responses. I think you might be an INTJ. A lot of what you says sounds like me when I was younger. When you say you need a general goal before you focus on details, I really think that is Te at work. You need that goal to move towards, the task that needs finished. That is what Te is all about, getting stuff done. When your imagination is going wild without that definite goal, that is probably your Ni at work, without the Te focus. I'm the same way, I despise working without a clear and established goal in mind. You are not really comfortable dealing with feelings and emotions, however you have moral lines (however few) that you will not cross. With an INTJ Fi is the tertiary function, thus not very developed when young. If you are an INTJ, as you get older you will develop that more and have more of those moral lines and more comfort with emotions. But it probably never be a strong point, INTJ's have Fi in their stacking but they are not Fi heavy. Fi light perhaps :). And inferior Se manifests in your physical activities in order to stimulate your mind and develop survival strategies. Se heavy people exercise because it's fun, or they want to look good (gross oversimplification alert). You also said that you strive to understand truths about people and situations. This is a similar sentiment that I, and other INTJ's I've known, share. Also my INFJ wife does too (both types being Ni doms). I don't really get a Fe vibe off of you though, so I don't think you are an INFJ.

All rambling aside, that is my opinion. Others may disagree, but you kind of remind me of a younger me.

Thank you for your analysis and time!

I would ask to you a question: sometimes I have hunches that something will develop in a way, but if I look at facts, they go against my hunch, and I'm unsure of myself.

Did you ever experience something like that? If yes, how do you deal with that?

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are most welcome, and I hope that was, in some small way, helpful.

To answer your question, I have hunches all the time. Sometimes they are frighteningly accurate. Sometimes not so much. :shrug: However, facts are facts. I have learned trust my hunches in so far as it is something worth investigating. Most of these intuitions come from a subconscious level, at least for me. Somewhere along the line I picked some information and something else triggered that recollection or feeling. But never confuse your intuition with fact. All too often you just simply lack the complete knowledge of whatever the subject happens to be, or the correct perspective. I would follow up on your hunches, investigate, but let the facts that you find lead you forward from that point. You may end up going in a completely different direction than you started in. Learn to be sure in what you know, not what you intuit. Intuition is a tool, and a useful one. But it is not precise.