• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Uhh - wondering my ENTJness

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
So I'm ENTJ, by recent test and self-evaluation. Seems sensible. I've been that in my most productive times, when I haven't had any weakness of mind. I'm feeling a bit dull tho, and my lifestyle - along with my values - have been described as shallow.

Yet, I don't feel a bit like a leader, someone who's taking over the world or anything like that. I feel just as I did as an ENTP, just that I've gathered my shit together.

So what have I done differently to what I did as an ENTP?

I wake up early and do long hours of work.

I test how much willingness to work (drive) I get from each short period of free time. I'm trying to find out what is the least amount of free time I can do to keep myself focused, and to pay my debt in the minimum time possible.

I still see myself as flexible, funny man.. someone with no evil intentions.. tho I do push a lot more on my loved ones. I still calculate if it is useful to do so .. so I think I'm more balanced now than I was as ENTP, with the ability to weight carefully if a given pleasure is good enough to outweight the problems it gives. I'm not so more a slave of addiction, or desire; Not a joyless person either.

Yet I wish for something more, and feel less satisfaction for doing irresponsible things at a whim.

I've flexed around ENTP .. I've strongly identified with ENFJ, ENTJ, ENTP and ENFP some time in the last 8 years I've known about MBTI, moderately with INTP, INTJ and ESTP, and weakly with ISTP and ESTJ. The rest I've not identified with at all, ever. That ENFJ time seems like idiocy to me this time, ENFP time cute but non-successful.. Which leaves out ENTP and ENTJ as respectable types I've strongly identified with, as ENTJ as my work-mode (which may lead to burnout), and ENTP as my recovery mode (when I don't accomplish as much as I'd like).

I think I've been ENTJ and ENFP at my personal best, or something I've felt as best at a time. I've regretted ENFP times, but practically none with ENTJ .. yeah, ENTJ time has been my best time, when measured by what I do. ENTP by my enjoyment of the moment.

I guess ENTJ-time has been my power-time too, something that has driven me to burnout when not done right. ENTP time has been the most stress-free-time, something I've approached when I haven't felt any external pressures, or when I've been lazy, or still recovering from burnout. (and there have been a few of them).

So uhh, my type of the day is ENTJ. This type is a bit hated in here, so at first I just thought to shut up until the feeling passes.

THere's that explanation too, that a flexible person "becomes" the person he has to in order to accomplish what he wants. I surely have that.. yet I don't necessarily accomplish what someone else wants. LOl. So am I ENTP (the chameleon) .. or was it ENFP? :huh: in the end, just having my ENTJ costume on? :huh:

Not a big deal, personality is just meh to me, compared to what's going on.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
OMG Typo, BIG typo.. I wrote ENFJ, but I meant ENTJ. I am a bit tired. Hope no-one's written a long story of my new-found ENFJ-ness while I corrected that mistake :D

T

ThatGirl

have you noticed that same types have the same cycles? I wonder if enviornmental attributions play a role?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I gotta say that we seem to think alike on this matter. It took me bloody three years to figure out I was an ENTJ. I don't feel like some bloody leader, and up until recently i've probably acted as some kind of shadow type because I was between a rock and a hard place. As you said to, i've got my shit together now and then my ENTJ costume comes on.

Do you think many ENTJ's have this problem, Not identifying as ENTJ?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've been pushing myself very gently to some goals, tho I guess the environment haven't been so gentle. I've wanted this, but the last push came from outside.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Uhh, this text is in no disrespect to ENTP. Just that I didn't feel like being a completely able person as an ENTP, i.e. being too much a slave of my whims, I wasn't truly carefree or leisurely enough to qualify as an average ENTP. For a long time, I felt like lacking in the creativity department, and improvisation.. I also felt much too serious for my own good, and I've only got more serious. THe whole package makes more sense as an ENTJ.

Tom_ENTJ

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Unfortunately I can't relate, but as an abstract thinker I hope I can respond adequately.

The difference is that your primary function switched from extroverted intuition to extroverted thinking.

My theory is that you started out as a strong extroverted thinker, regardless of your primary function of intuition. As people age, they generally tend to rely more on their past experiences (having had more of them).

As you mature, so does your sensing function (specifically your introverted sensing function). This could mean that you have taken to rely more on your old, strong secondary, extroverted thinking, changing your type to ENTJ, rather than the alternative, ESTP, because you are still a highly intuitive person.

I hope I've helped,
Tom

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I am a Leo and ENTJ, whether you believe in astrology or the MBTI, they have my definition perfect.

I have never had a problem being a leader, but have had problems being an individual because I have an extreme desire to win and it pushes people away, although at the same time pulling my teamates in.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, I'm extremely competitive at heart, rather harsh and remorseless big-picture thinker.. But then, I've developed a "compatibility mode" to think less of the big picture, less of the proven, factual and competitive - and more of the cute, casual, anecdotal, personal and subjective. I've had to develop a liking for it for the sake of my sanity. But.. it makes me never feel like belonging to a random assortment of people. Still, I've learned to enjoy people for what they are and to not take myself so seriously for the most part.

I mostly feel belonging to a groups that accomplish something. Sadly, something has prevented me from understanding early enough how decisive I really have to be, and that specialization is the way to go in the current job market. That a job calls for wide knowledge of a certain area is more of a exception rather than the rule, and I regret for having made the wrong evaluations.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I used to test as ENTP with J/P on the 50/50 line. Eventually though when I started reading soconics it was glaringly obvious that I wasn't ENTp there. I don't think ENTJs feel like leaders, I think that sometimes we just fall into that role because we (apparently - that's not how I feel like, but I am said to be perceived this way) are confident in our opinion/course of action when there's an uncertain issue.

The difference is that your primary function switched from extroverted intuition to extroverted thinking.

Not exactly. It probably switched from creative (2nd function, define it how you want) introverted intuition to extraverted thinking.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think that is probably true for some, but I do not feel like that at all.

I feel like a leader and do fall into that role often.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I'm not discounting my ENTJness on the grounds that I haven't wanted to lead. I thought about it now and then few years back, when I noticed the ability to take the responsibility and decide for some groups. I mostly just gathered data of people's desires and the resources to do so, and discussed about them until we had a solution. I think there was just a touch of J in there, but it seemed mostly P-type leading. More like being a host. But then, I was able to stop the evaluation at a point and start doing.

Career counselor, Psychologist whom I visited recommended me to either pursue a job in some unspecified managerial positions, or that of an independent expert, preferably in ICT sector (as that's the sector I can most readily enter). So yes I've thought about it, I just feel most like just leading myself first, and getting myself to my target sector/position before I can start to lead others. It might take some time too. But, now I just want to become a system administrator first.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
man, being an ENTJ must be a tough thing to admit to. i feel your pain, but at this point, you should accept it, and try to carry on...somehow.....

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Do you think many ENTJ's have this problem, Not identifying as ENTJ?
Perhaps, if it's overemphasized in the descriptions how decisive they are, not relaxed, what kind of leadership they show, etc.

I think it's been severely understated how a decisive person can actually let them selves go and enjoy the moment, when they have first scheduled the time as play time. It doesn't have to be much in advance; for me, it's just that I need to see that I can afford that time away from my responsibilities, plus I need or want it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Perhaps, if it's overemphasized in the descriptions how decisive they are, not relaxed, what kind of leadership they show, etc.

I think it's been severely understated how a decisive person can actually let them selves go and enjoy the moment, when they have first scheduled the time as play time. It doesn't have to be much in advance; for me, it's just that I need to see that I can afford that time away from my responsibilities, plus I need or want it.

I definitely agree. Look at these nice socionics descriptions of two types of ENTjs for example, they allow for a lot more variation:

ENTJ:
REFORMER(Te subtype)
Logical subtype produces the impression of mobile, but strict and efficient person. Its face is not very emotional. Loves to look directly, into the support, izuchayushche. View for a long time is fixed on the collocutor or the objects. It is a little shy, although he tries to hide this. There is is somewhat it is distrustful, critical and superfluously categorical. It is difficult to distract it from that planned, he tries everything to lead to the end. In spite of habit to the meditations, it is decisive and impulsive in words and behavior. It is inclined to the prolonged conversations. Tension in the contact because of the desire to seem self-possessed, careful and serious is characteristic of it. Its apparent undeliberateness can be changed into the unexpected haste. In the majority of the cases its figure is thickset, and motions are angular. He tries to be held confidently, also, with the merit. If it jokes, then this with the serious form makes, only smiling by the corn ers of lips.

STRATEGIST(Ni subtype)
Intuitive subtype is pleasant in the contact, it is courteous and amiable. It is affectionate, oars, it possesses a developed feeling of humor. He frequently becomes the soul of company. It is very mobile, restless and scattered, constantly it hurries, tries to have time to make much. Voodushevlen, is energetic and optimistic. It is very enterprising, boldly it goes to the risk, it has many ideas. To it is difficult long time to sosredotachivat' attention in by something one. It has immediately several points of the application of its forces. Is diplomatic galanten with all, especially with the women, but it can manifest familiarity with the closer acquaintance. Because of the tendency toward the unceremoniousness, it frequently changes a feeling of time, and it accomplishes the ethical oversights, which so rapidly he tries to correct with the aid of the jokes and different services. Behaves simply, raskovanno and unconstrainedly. In the conversation sometimes it loves to conc ern collocutor, to embrace, to kiss, to joke. Gestures and gait are deprived of the emphasized solidity, it is very natural.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I would fall into the REFORMER category more readily then the STRATEGIST.

That does seem obvious though.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Even taking the vagaries of Babelfish into account, I can see that when my ENTJ switch gets flipped, I'm the strategist subtype.

My shrink friend who does all the MBTI stuff and tests and whatever with me, he's said he agrees that certain experiences of my life have elevated my Te to about equal with Ti. He says I'm still Ne primary, but certain situations cause me to "flip the J switch" and 'become' ENTJ, letting Te lead in fact rather than Ne.

That combination of Te leading Ne, not a usual combination, I think can easily come across like the Strategist ENTJ described (sorta) above. For a while I thought I was an ENTJ, because I was in a situation where that switch spent most of its time in the 'ON' position... but it burnt me out after a while cos it's not my preferred way of being... so I reverted eventually back to 'burnt out ENTP', which can look a bit more like INTP, superficially.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
"Q" is described as an ENTP as well right ?

Which is why you used the picture?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
But... an ENTJ is not just an ENTP that has got his shit together. That's ridiculous. That's like saying an ENTP is just an INTP that goes out a lot, or an ENFJ is just an ENFP that doesn't flake haha...

I wonder how many ENTP's there are out there who don't identify with their type because they have, bit like I have, learned to be a bit more organized, dutiful or disciplined...

Lucifer - yeah, he's a naughty ENTP :cheese: