User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 21

  1. #1

    Cool Si or Ni dominant? ISFJ or INFJ or ...? Can you please help me?

    Hi everyone!

    I've been thinking a lot about cognitive functions lately, and I just can not seem to figure out if I am Ni or Si dominant. I am pretty sure I am either ISFJ or INFJ, because my Fe is very obvious, and I am mainly an introvert, although people think I am extroverted most of the time.

    Allright, here goes! Hope anybody can help me.

    1. During your youth (7'ish to 18), What did you focus on the most? What activities did you like and why? What aspect of life was lax in attention?
    I was pretty good in school, best of the class at primary school (not trying to brag, it was just that way), yet friends with everyone from my class. I liked learning new stuff at school and I always aimed for the highest education or important roles to take (in plays and stuff). In high school I was drawn to the more science-y subjects (math was my best subject, and after that physics). But I also liked languages. Besides that, as a kid, I really liked making things out of paper, making drawings, and I was attempting to write a book because I like reading a lot and it inspired me. I did gymnastics and dance. I really disliked teamsports and I really did not 'get' the whole competition-feeling with those kind of sports. I played an instrument for 12 years and was in an orchestra. I did however not go out as much as other girls/boys in my class (which I made up for later ), and maybe doing sports just because of the sake of physical fitness was lax in attention.

    2. You're in you senior year of high school (or whatever equivalent) and you are looking back over the last couple of years. What was your favorite aspect of the schooling experience and why? Favorite subject and why?
    Whoops, I already answered that one I think. I think I liked the broad range of interests I had explored in high school. I really liked a lot of subjects. I really enjoyed math-class. PE was the worst, they only wanted to do softball.. all..the..freakin'..time.. I just wanted to do saltos or individual sports, but nooo..Why am I telling what I disliked most? That is not the question, sorry. I liked exploring all the opportunities which lay ahead of me, and I was browsing books with different carreerpaths all the time. I also liked very much to keep track of all my grades and calculating what I needed to get into med-school. Wow, when I type this, I sound a little freakily nerdy..

    3. A couple of friends call and invite you out to a restaurant. While there, you all are pleasantly conversing and one of your friends makes a comment that irked you. What are you're thoughts and how do you respond?
    I would ask why they would say such a thing and try to understand where it is coming from. It would probably be something that I find narrowminded (like judgements of others without a base, or showing lack of compassion). If, after my question, I still disagree with what the person is saying on a deep level, then I will tell them how I feel about it. Sometimes when it is a subject that's really close to my beliefs, than people will get a bit scared of my sudden intensity of the feeling I am expressing about it. But when it is just a superficial thing, or if I do not respect the other person very much, I will be silently disagreeing and be a little weirdily amused at the same time. But if I do that too much I will get cynical, and I also understand that everybody has a different point of view. I usually understand why people are saying what they are saying and I also know very often what to say to change their minds a little bit.

    4. Your schooling is done and it's time to strike out into the world!! What sort of career do you want to go into and why?

    Well, I did get into medschool and finished it. But now I have seen the reality of this profession, I sometimes wish I made a different choice (artificial intelligence would have been my choice!). Life in hospital is not easy for somebody like me. I do not respect or understand the hierarchy. I do understand why it is working, but I do not agree with the people at the top of the hierarchy feeling that they are better than anybody else just because of their status. There is almost no compassion around (even when you would expect some in a hospital). Colleagues are cynical and overworked. And they don't seem to notice that it could be a much better environment if they all showed a little more understanding towards each other. For me it is a toxic environment. And then the pressure of saving lifes is sometimes too much to take. I liked psychiatry and family medicine though. I now choose for a more holistic way of helping people I don't really know what I am going to do yet, but I want to really connect with my patients so that I can really help them, and not just treat 'a disease' and go to the next. Maybe it is naive, maybe it is not. We'll see.

    5. A friend is getting married and they put you in charge of the cake. You narrowed it down to two places to make an order. The first is a bakery with whom you got a good relationship with. The other is a well-known cake maker to whom everyone goes to (your friend hints to it as well). Which one do you choose and why?
    I will go to the one my friend hints to. It is her wedding so it has to be good for her. Therefore, my opinion in the case does matter less. If I really feel that 'my' bakery is better, I will take 2 samples (less samples make it easier), and show them to the bride-to-be. And make it easy for her to choose, which cake is better, and I will get that one.

    6. You get into an argument with a friend/family member/co-worker. They criticize one of your personality traits. What would most likely be the focus of their critique?
    I've been criticised about coming off too strong when I disagree with something. My sister told me I sometimes just have to accept that I think something different and be ok with it. I have a tendency to want to reach harmony by agreeing all to the same stuff and sometimes that is a problem because of some things I am very opinionated (some things not, it is ok not to have an opinion if you do not know enough about the subject). I try to hold it in now, but sometimes the feeling is just too strong. I dislike conflict a LOT but when somebody who thinks they are supersupersuper-right say stuff of which I know are not correct, I will tell them if it is a subject close to heart. Actually, most of the time I don't do this anymore. When I was in my early 20's, I did this very often. Also my family thinks facts can be viewed as opinions.. and because I want to avoid conflict with them, I just stay silent while war breaks loose in my head. Now i do it only with people who I think are a bit arrogant about it, or if I think it helps the conversation.

    7. It's New Years! You and your friends are out and about after a party. Being drunk, one of your friends suggests to do something....'questionable' (Nothing serious. I.e, drugs, escort, etc.). What are your thoughts and how do you respond?
    If it is a party-drug, I am sometimes in, but you should not take that when you are already drunk, that is asking for problems. So I would advise strongly against it. So my thoughts would be: i would think about if I want to be in that situation. If I don't I probably will try to convince them to do something different for a short time, and if they persist I will probably go home and let them do their thing. If I do, I make sure the things they want to do are aligned with my values.

    8. A new art gallery opens up and your friend wants to go to the grand opening. Both of you analyze all the paintings and sculptures. What about these works warrants the most attention from you? Why?
    I really like surreal arts and gracious art with curvy lines and weird stuff. I do not really enjoy just plain paintings a lot. I recently went to the Dali museum which was really great. There is so much connection between the artworks. I love symbolism. I also do like the imagination behind the paintings and sculptures. I also like diversity and colours. I can watch at a painting with only one colour with different shades for a long time. But a painting with just a dot in the middle is too much for me, because I sometimes don't feel the sincerity of the message behind it. I also like paintings at which I look and I get an instant feeling of thinking about a story that took place there because of the feeling it gives me. Like I could just step in there and wander around.

    9. You have been saving up and decide to buy a new car. At the dealership, you peruse the lots. What are the criteria and factors that influence your choice? Which one would initially be your main focus?
    Brands do not say much to me, so I would go by appearance first. But I know not to judge a book by its cover, so I want to know specifics about the car. I now have a car that is almost falling apart, but that is great cause when I am parking the car, I don't have to worry if I hit a wall or something and scratch the coating. But in the future I would see myself buying a more expensive car. The feeling it gives me when I drive it is most important. I have to feel safe in a car. Also, in the future, I would like a car that will not fall apart, because I hate to deal with fixing a car or stranding on the side of the road.

    10. Yep, you now have a kid (sex of your choosing)! Years pass and they are now 15 years old. You notice their personality traits are the complete opposite of how you were when at their age. Describe how they are. Describe the possible conflicts that would arise between both of you due to differing temperaments.
    They would be super outgoing and not pay attention to their education and live in the moment, not in the future like I did. They would smoke and get drunk all the time. Basically not thinking about the more sincere things in life and their meaning. But hey, I can also understand this behaviour. Hell, I wish I was more that way when I was a kid. You only live once, I think, and you have to get the most out of it. Can't blame him for having fun. But drinking at 15 years old can cost you a lot in the long run. I would tell and show him that. I will probably not just FORBID it, but make him see on his own so the better choices he will make afterwards come from inside him, and not by force of a parent. I would try to make him aware of the choices he is making. Also if his fun is affecting other people's happiness, like doing things other people do not want to, then I will seriously wonder what I did wrong and doubt my parenting skills and will try to understand were it comes from so that I can 'help' him. Probably he would be like: nah, leave your stupid psychology tricks to yourself ma, I am going out I don't think this will happen though :P

    This questionnaire was fun!

    Feel free to ask more questions if you need more information

  2. #2
    Junior Member Chernushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    MBTI
    bleh
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    12

    Default

    You don't seem to display inferior Ne, more of inferior Se. It's especially noticeable when you talk about art. Curvy lines activate our Se in a way. You need stimulation to be captivated by a painting, you don't like plain paintings. That really sounds like healthy inferior Se to me. When you talk about the kid that'd be opposite to you. They give me the shadow ESTP vibe :'D Impulsive, reckless, overindulging in everything sensory, super outgoing, fun-oriented...

    In all, I'd say, INFJ. You sound a lot like me, in addition! (except I'm identifying as xNFJ, because can't really say if I'm Ni or Fe dom, it seems to switch all the time)

  3. #3

    Default

    Thnx @Chernushka for your insights! I am starting to lean towards Ni dom as well.

    It is funny that you say that about the ESTP vibe of my fake son. I'm in a very good relationship (9 years now) with an ESTP which works surprisingly well (we complete each other in a way). But I am always scared that our future children will be an exaggerated version of him Haha!

    About the art. It seems to me that Si and Ni are often distinguished with help of the 'art-question' (when you look at this picture, what do you see). And if you first focus on the physical things that are actually there on the picture, you lean towards Si, and when you think instantly about abstract things that you connect to the painting, you lean towards Ni. This confuses me though. Because I see both, and it seems to me that you cannot make abstract connections to the painting if you haven't first seen what is on it. But someone told me that if you use Ni, you will have difficulty focusing on the physical thing, but I do not. If I want I can look at a picture and focus only on what is on it. And if I want I can feel and see all sorts of abstract things in it. Because everybody uses every cognitive function, but only has a preference for a few, it is hard to distinguish them, i think.

    What do you think about this?

  4. #4
    Honeyed Water thoughtlost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Both INFJ and ISFJ sum up what you wrote really well, but I'll also lean towards INFJ because of how you described your answer to #8
    You are so arbitrary.

  5. #5
    Wei 18 - Sie 39 agentwashington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    MBTI
    mbti
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    SNL None
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    I see some infj ,but honestly most of what I see could go either way. The car thing feels very Si-Ne, though imo it's also plain common sense. how you put it shows that you've got enough consideration abt concrete problems when something breaks down. but also it doesnt really give a deep enough psychological profile. all in all you seem grounded enough to be isfj - BUT honestly it doesn't mean infj can't also do all of that.

    It's not useful to know all of that stuff without knowing why, say, you're interested in the meaning of the art, because honestly one of my favourite shit is malevitch's square and piet mondrain's jubilee series, it's still not going to say anything about my type.

    A brief description of what goes thru your mind when you're stressed would help, probably.
    “Don’t use your strength to oppress, (but also) don’t let your weakness make you feel helpless.”
    - Rurouni Kenshin

    “This world is beautiful. People can love each other and live life respecting each other. Someday everyone will come to realize that and this will become a beautiful world full of only such people.”
    - Kino no Tabi

  6. #6
    Senior Member deathwarmedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueIsTheNewRed View Post

    What do you think about this?
    You might be able to do it if you want to, but an intuitive should experience extended sensory tasks as a drag, and vice versa for sensors. There's no choice there. An intuitive may underperform in extended sensory tasks regardless of effort and the resource depletion may be experienced indirectly as "boredom" or some other expression of anxiety.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarmedup View Post
    You might be able to do it if you want to, but an intuitive should experience extended sensory tasks as a drag, and vice versa for sensors. There's no choice there. An intuitive may underperform in extended sensory tasks regardless of effort and the resource depletion may be experienced indirectly as "boredom" or some other expression of anxiety.
    Quote Originally Posted by agentwashington View Post
    A brief description of what goes thru your mind when you're stressed would help, probably.

    Thnx for the replies!!! I am on vacation now so I am a bit late with my reply.
    Allright, so my reactions to stress:

    When I have to do a mundane repetitive task for a very long time, i'll get stress eventually (even if I liked it first) and I Will hyperfocus and push myself to finish it and be stubborn when people suggest i should rest and relax. I will feel an increased and irrational sense of responsibility.

    When I am stressed for a longer period I have a tendency to stop doing sports, and i will search for physical comfort, in the form of food or alcohol. I recently discovered that taking a walk in a new environment also helps with stress, but I can't now because of an injury, and whenever I feel stressed I feel like eating a lot of chocolate with a whole bottle of wine.

    When I am in a group of people for too long, I will become more silent and will retract in my room every now and then. Sometimes when I am with people for too long I get this weird feeling in my stomach and I get very chaotic in my head and I feel the urgent need to get out of where I am. If I stay in that situation I will get all snappy and unfocused.

    Also, when I am stressed, I tend to clean and tidy up, as an attempt to get some control over the chaos in my mind.

    When I am climbing, I experience a lot of stress and anxiety and fear. Mostly because I am scared of heights, but when I get scared I will feel extremely "stuck". It is really hard to explain. I will usually feel very bad about myself because I can't do it. But that is mostly a consequence of that my climbing buddies are not as scared as I am, and I compare. Also I start believing that I don't belong there, that this isn't what I want to do. I Will get cynical and moody.

    When I was working in the ER for the first time I got a strong sense of incompetence. But I think it preceded the stress. It was more a cause than a consequence. After the feeling of stress I got a strong feeling of 'I don't belong here' and stubborness. I felt hopeless, like the night was never going to end. I felt all these things in my body, and I started to breath very shallow so that I was hyperventilating in the end. I ended up crying in the nurses station because of all the pressure and the tiredness after 10 hours of insane responsible work. Doctors said I felt too much responsibility. Afterwards, I thought, this was a very bad environment for me because I was not trained well enough for this.

    I usually have these visions of what could go wrong, but I also have them when I don't have stress. These can be very vividly.

    I am not sure if this really helps, but maybe it does for some of you. For me it seems like it could be both INFJ and ISFJ again. I see both inferior Ne and Se, I think..

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentwashington View Post
    It's not useful to know all of that stuff without knowing why, say, you're interested in the meaning of the art, because honestly one of my favourite shit is malevitch's square and piet mondrain's jubilee series, it's still not going to say anything about my type.
    Oh, and why I am interested in the meaning of art:
    So I like surreal art. I like the feeling it gives me. Sometimes it brings me to another 'realm' full of possibilities, almost like a fairytale. It excites my imagination. I just get a really warm feeling inside when I discover that all the artpieces of Dali are connected to each other. It just fits all together. It feels like a world to be discovered. Almost to step in and wander around.

    But last month I was at the museum of Miro in Barcelona. And this Guy painted a dot on a white canvas. This was supposed to be surreal art and he had a story that it was about the ripple effect. But it felt insincere. I really did not feel what he was telling, so it seemed a bit fake or something. Almost as if he first made it. And afterwards made up a story about it.

    Does that help?

  9. #9
    Wei 18 - Sie 39 agentwashington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    MBTI
    mbti
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    SNL None
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueIsTheNewRed View Post
    Thnx for the replies!!! I am on vacation now so I am a bit late with my reply.
    Allright, so my reactions to stress:

    When I have to do a mundane repetitive task for a very long time, i'll get stress eventually (even if I liked it first) and I Will hyperfocus and push myself to finish it and be stubborn when people suggest i should rest and relax. I will feel an increased and irrational sense of responsibility.

    When I am stressed for a longer period I have a tendency to stop doing sports, and i will search for physical comfort, in the form of food or alcohol. I recently discovered that taking a walk in a new environment also helps with stress, but I can't now because of an injury, and whenever I feel stressed I feel like eating a lot of chocolate with a whole bottle of wine.

    When I am in a group of people for too long, I will become more silent and will retract in my room every now and then. Sometimes when I am with people for too long I get this weird feeling in my stomach and I get very chaotic in my head and I feel the urgent need to get out of where I am. If I stay in that situation I will get all snappy and unfocused.

    Also, when I am stressed, I tend to clean and tidy up, as an attempt to get some control over the chaos in my mind.

    When I am climbing, I experience a lot of stress and anxiety and fear. Mostly because I am scared of heights, but when I get scared I will feel extremely "stuck". It is really hard to explain. I will usually feel very bad about myself because I can't do it. But that is mostly a consequence of that my climbing buddies are not as scared as I am, and I compare. Also I start believing that I don't belong there, that this isn't what I want to do. I Will get cynical and moody.

    When I was working in the ER for the first time I got a strong sense of incompetence. But I think it preceded the stress. It was more a cause than a consequence. After the feeling of stress I got a strong feeling of 'I don't belong here' and stubborness. I felt hopeless, like the night was never going to end. I felt all these things in my body, and I started to breath very shallow so that I was hyperventilating in the end. I ended up crying in the nurses station because of all the pressure and the tiredness after 10 hours of insane responsible work. Doctors said I felt too much responsibility. Afterwards, I thought, this was a very bad environment for me because I was not trained well enough for this.

    I usually have these visions of what could go wrong, but I also have them when I don't have stress. These can be very vividly.

    I am not sure if this really helps, but maybe it does for some of you. For me it seems like it could be both INFJ and ISFJ again. I see both inferior Ne and Se, I think..
    You're right. I see both.

    A bit more inferior Se, though. Inferior Ne would still drink and eat. But the focus would be on trying not to overthink and the emphasis less on the indulgence aspect.

    A lot of other things feel like... ... it could be other issues.
    “Don’t use your strength to oppress, (but also) don’t let your weakness make you feel helpless.”
    - Rurouni Kenshin

    “This world is beautiful. People can love each other and live life respecting each other. Someday everyone will come to realize that and this will become a beautiful world full of only such people.”
    - Kino no Tabi

  10. #10

    Default

    Thnx @agentwashington !

    You think it is most likely that I am an INFJ with a well developed Si?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO