• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I really an INTJ? Or INFx?

Sterretje

Enneagram
5w4
Hi everyone,

I know that I'm new to this forum, but I would really appreciate it if someone can give me some feedback on my type.
Years ago (as a teenager - I'm now 25) I became interested in MBTI and I typed myself as INTJ which always felt right. However, back then I was depressed and suffering from other mental health issues, which made me numb and out of touch with my emotions. Lately I cannot help but think if perhaps it were circumstances that made me score high on T(e) and that perhaps I'm exactly an INFx type? Most descriptions state that INTJs are emotionless, robots, always making impersonal decisions based on logic etc. But I'm actually a very sensitive, empathic and idealistic person.

When I do a regular MBTI test, my T and F are fairly balanced. Most of time, T scores slightly higher than F, but sometimes F scores slightly higher.

I decided to do a cognitive functions test (on similarminds) and these are the results:

Te: 65%
Ti: 40%
Ne: 65%
Ni: 95%
Se: 25%
Si: 10%
Fe: 55%
Fi: 75%

based on your results your type is likely intj

I notice my Fi is slightly higher than my Te. I know about the Ni-Fi loop and I think perhaps during the time I was depressed I was for a while in that loop (like really solitary to the point of worrying I was schizoid and reading conspiracy theories and too quickly believing those kind of stories). However, not the last few years. I feel actually more myself than ever and I am also more outgoing than ever, regularly meeting with friends, enjoying a broader range of activities, etc.

Here my answers to the questions:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Being highly sensitive and a really idealistic person. I can feel other people's moods and especially atmospheres in groups. When reading news items I can be very touched to the point of crying or feeling the pain/suffering of the world. I'm engaged in activism as well and see it as my goal to strive for a better world with less unequality. However, I should say that I'm a very emotional person but I don't show these emotions easily. I would be horrified if someone sees me crying and I don't even know why. Sometimes, when I'm cynical, I think I only have my rationality to shield my sensitivity from the world and to protect myself from my emotions.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Living a meaningful life.. For me this means improving myself in terms of knowledge (never thinking I know everything), living my true potential in terms of personality (expressing who I am, being authentic) which would ideally reflect in a job or mission that helps to make the world a better place.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Being in nature on my own, and feeling in sync with myself and the world. Like I'm completely myself and connected to the world of nature. Peaceful as well as spiritual.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
If other people know more than me or are more skilled than I am.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Whether it's the right thing to do, I guess... A bit vague: what makes it the right thing to do? Most of the time I just know what's the best decision... and most of the time I stay a long time pondering on this insight and if I can indeed not find any cons or better solutions, I follow through with my first insight.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Yes, I would make sure that the steps are leading to the outcome. I would like to coordinate the project and keeping an eye on the progress and big picture.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I'm thinking about a memory when I was having fun with some friends and I remember what I was feeling. I felt a connection to my friends, but at the same time, to myself. A happy fuzzy feeling that I wanted to hug them and felt completely at peace with my life. That everything was happening at the right pace and I was actually where I needed to be. I just felt really alive and happy that I have these friends. Disclaimer: I was slightly drunk.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
To study the subject, read as much as possible about it and then try it into practice.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?
Fairly organised. When I was younger I was a bit of control-freak, now more relaxed about it. But I still like to plan my activities carefully. My desk/room is always messy, but my life is not. I know my activities and at which time I should be at which place by heart.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
The principles behind it. This is also why I decided to study philosophy.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
In the first place, being myself and following my beliefs. But I would check if I'm not doing harm to other people or causing unnecessary conflict.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Thinking before speaking. I prefer one-on-one communication or small groups if I know everyone well.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I like to know where I'm jumping before leaping. Actions and words can both be important, it depends on the kind of actions and words...

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
I would be annoyed that they didn't plan this earlier in advance. If they are good friends and the activity sounds fun, I would probably go out with them though.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Neurotic.. worrying about everything and trying to check everything. Or if I'm really stressed apathic (doing nothing and eating chocolate).

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
If people are trying to control other people or placing themselves above other people.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
The deeper meaning of life I guess. What motivates us in life, how we see the future, what we aim for, how our personalities have developed. But also about society/humankind as a whole. For example, if there are alternatives for capitalism. I like discussions, but not really debates where you are constantly arguing against each other.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Status, power, wealth... I don't really care about obtaining those. Small details from my surroundings also escape me, such as what other people are wearing.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality?
They think I'm quiet, kind and calm. Some of them can be shocked by my sarcistic jokes. What's wrong is that on the outside I'm more calm than on the inside. I don't think they always see or understand the depth of my feelings. They would never say I'm outgoing and impulsive.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Reading, going for a walk on the beach, thinking about stories to write, perhaps actually starting writing them.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Welcome :bye:

You definitely sound like a Ni-Dom (big picture) so that already rules out every type except INTJs & INFJs. (INFPs don't have Ni in their stack).

INFJ stack :

Ni
Fe
Ti

INTJ stack :

Ni
Te
Fi

So they are both Ni-dominant and closely related because of that. But picking up or even obsessing about moods & atmosphere is typical for INFJs (Fe) and practically non-existent for INTJs.
I'm also very calm on the outside and a nervous wreck internally. I tend to be sarcastic too and very blunt. Philosophy is more typical for INFJs than for INTJs too.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The nickname argues in favour of an NF, though :wink:

Sterretje

Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for your input!

I agree that my Ni is too high for INFP. Although if I could be any other type I would probably say INFP because of the high Fi...
My Fi is higher than my Fe and my Te higher than my Ti (according to the test, but i also recognise more in Fi and Te than Fe and Ti - especially Ti doesn't really connect with me which also rules out INTP) which would point to INTJ instead of INFJ. However, the general description of NF idealists describes me slightly better than NT rationals. I recognise points in both descriptions though, so perhaps I'm somewhere in between (?).
I feel like the other types (INFP or INFJ) are even more impossible, but at the same time I feel out of sync with INTJ as well.

My enneagram type is 5w4, if that helps.

Krys

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would say INFJ as well.
Being highly sensitive and a really idealistic person. I can feel other people's moods and especially atmospheres in groups. When reading news items I can be very touched to the point of crying or feeling the pain/suffering of the world. I'm engaged in activism as well and see it as my goal to strive for a better world with less unequality. However, I should say that I'm a very emotional person but I don't show these emotions easily. I would be horrified if someone sees me crying and I don't even know why. Sometimes, when I'm cynical, I think I only have my rationality to shield my sensitivity from the world and to protect myself from my emotions.

This is suuper Fe. Fi users don't typically feel very touched by news stories unless they are personally invested in the subject matter itself. You may think you're Fi due to INFJs being very individualistic.