• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can't choose between INTJ and INTP

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I consistently scored INTJ on online tests for years, and, more recently, on tests from books about Myers-Briggs. I also relate to Judging a bit more than Perceiving.

Recently I began to consider that I'm mistyped, and I've found that I consistently relate to INTP descriptions more than to INTJ descriptions. I bought Gifts Differing to help me decide, but half the cognitive function descriptions are ambiguous to the point of meaninglessness. I'm struggling to differentiate between Ni/Ne and Ti/Te.

So self-typing by preferences gives me INTJ; the descriptions suggest INTP, and I can't figure out the cognitive functions.

Other than taking a paid MBTI, is there another authoritative source I can read to help me decide? Maybe the MBTI Manual explains the theory more clearly?

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you already tried to read about the cognitive functions? It may be of great help deciding between the two. Also, Personality Junkie have great articles on INTP x INTJ

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I tried reading about the cognitive functions in Gifts Differing and didn't understand much of it. I have read about cognitive functions on some websites, but I'm hesitant to trust that information. Everyone seems to have a slightly different interpretation of the functions, and I thought the best way to self-type was to get the info from the source of the theory (Myers and/or Briggs). I even tried reading Psychological Types; that didn't help much.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I stated before, give Personality Junkie a try.