• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

XXFP? Help with type/functions?

SwimmerGal97

I'm looking for some help identifying my mbti type or functions :) I've done various tests and have come out with all manner of results ( ENFP, INFP, ISFP, even ISFJ) so I've combined questions from multiple threads or questionnaires:

Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind

No but this seems like the place to say a bit about myself- I'm 19, female and studying for a degree in Biology and Biochemistry at uni. I'm afraid as far as student stereotypes go, I'm a bit of a let down. You're lucky if I party once a fortnight, I'm pretty focused on eating well (I haven't had a single takeaway this year and have never had to resort to packet noodles!) although the exercise bit is yet to follow and whilst there's a bit of me that loves the idea of causing chaos for the hell of it (and I have had a few dealings with cheats, strippers and midnight traipses round forests but that's about it) I'm actually quite boring and 'drama' tends to wash right over my head. God don't I sound pretentious :L I promise I'm not actually that stuck up and douchey!

Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

I think I prefer the first image due to it's composition. The photographer captured the symmetry of lines and colour of the sky and sea and the orange band across the middle of the image really draws your eye in and gives a good focal point. I can imagine how quiet it must have been taking that photo but also cold given that it's night time in a place where the northern lights (or southern ones I guess it could be!) are visible. It gives you a sense of space and wonder and adventure whilst still being calm. The second image is okay. I really get the feel of this one, relaxed and cosy, you can imagine yourself either sat across from the woman or even being her, enjoying easy conversation or enjoying a tranquil moment with the rich buttery residue of the croissant on your mouth. The colours capture the emotion well- warm and subdued, like looking at old photographs and getting that sense of nostalgia and famililarity- but for me, something about the composition is off. It could be that there's too much space in the foreground or that the apple (I think it's an apple?) is only half in the image and is distracting. Although the colour of the apple echoes the dress well so if it were placed better, it would make a great addition to the composition!

Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

This is kind of hard because I can be totally different. I can't predict how I'd be with people- some people I really click with and they'd describe me as bubbly and vivacious, gregarious and imaginative, funny and warm and open whereas others I just don't gel with straight from the off with no particular reason and I'd really have trouble making conversation with them. I can come across as shy and quiet and possibly cold. There's a girl in my flat who I don't dislike, nor have we ever fallen out, we just don't gel and we don't talk. Even if we're in the kitchen just us two. I can't explain it. I often find if I don't directly have something to talk about, I find making conversation quite difficult.
Other things? I'm pretty stubborn. When I want something, I really, truly want something, I go for it, give it all my time and energy. If I want to do something, I will do something. On the other hand if I don't want to do something, there's no force on earth that can make me! If people try to convince me into doing things after I've said no I will just shut them out and ignore them. I've never felt the effects of peer pressure- I never felt the need to do drugs or underage drink or have sex until I really wanted to.
My sense of humour is big part of my personality, I tend to rely on it a lot. I'm not a loudly funny person I'm more witty and sarcastic. Quite dry. Very British, I suppose!
I enjoy working in groups, I often find after leaving lab tutorials where I've worked with others that I feel bouncy and energetic but at the same time I can't wait to escape to my room.
I also have an intense love of beautiful things (especially nature and I love to photograph and paint it) and on the surface I'm usually very easy going (although I do actually get stressed and anxious quite easily). However I do have perfectionist tendencies, especially with my art. I'm forever seeing what to improve, not in a bad way like I don't moan I'm rubbish but I will look at a piece and think that whilst one aspect is great, a proportion or facial expression or colour is slightly off.

Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

One on one within a group! I often find one on one conversation to be a bit stressful (and I kind of have a tendency to daydream...) but in a group if the conversation is starting to die you can include others or find someone else to chat with.

If someone came to you and asked you to make a decision about something, what would your thought process be?

What am I making a decision on? Pressing a button to launch a nuclear missile or what to have for dinner? It's easier to explain in context and I have a little more experience with choosing dinner than starting nuclear wars so I'll use that one. I'd first think of the options (what do I have in the fridge? the freezer? What about takeaways or nearby food places?), then I'd think of the implications of each choice (e.g. a takeaway is fast but high in calories and fat, a salad is nutritious but will it satisfy me? Making a 'proper' meal is a happy compromise but it will take longer, will it interrupt with any plans like going out or going to study?- although given that I've been to the library three times in a whole year, I don't think the studying thing is an issue). Sort of at the same time as the implications I'd think 'Is there anything I really fancy?' and my end decision is usually a mix of what takes my fancy and what's nutritionally better for me (like I might want meatballs but instead of having them with spaghetti and a ton of cheese, have courgetti instead). I could go on and on about my food decision making process, I don't think people usually put so much thought into what to have for dinner....but the weather, what's on TV, everything effects what I have to eat! It's an experience! If I'm watching some tropical show, I want some sunny, tropical food! Usually when making decisions I'll use all the time I have to make one. If I'm put on the spot I can make decisions but if I had to option to wait longer, I'd end up drawing up a list of pros and cons.

If you had to choose between being alone in a room with things to do but no one to communicate with for a weekend or being around a group of friends constantly for a weekend, which would you choose and why?

Not a tricky one, my weekends are usually spent alone in a room avoiding communication with people anyway! Why? I spend most of my week in uni surrounded by people, I live in accommodation with 66 other girls....I want that down time! It's nice to escape from outside stress and watch a film in my pyjamas. The freedom of uni means those weekdays where I SHOULD be with my classmates, I'm actually in my room....watching films in my pyjamas. I'm turning into a hermit....

If someone came to you and asked you to explain the way you view the people and things in the world, what would you tell them?

Live and let live. I don't have many strong opinions about people or things and I'm not interested in hearing other peoples.

Would you rather improvise everything you do for the next five years or plan out everything you want to do in the next five years and stick to it?

If I could come up with a plan I truly felt committed to then I'd want that because I have real trouble with motivation and often find myself feeling aimless. But given my lack of goals I'd want to improvise as I have ever changing interests and would hate to be stuck on a path I wasn't enjoying.

If you had to choose between being true to yourself and not making someone happy or doing what would make someone happy even if you didn’t particularly want to, which would you choose?

Like one of those crap teen movies where the parents want the kid to be a doctor but she dreams of being a singer so she goes and follows her dreams which upsets her parents but everyone comes round in the end? Depends on how much of an inconvenience it would be to do the thing I don't really want to do (e.g. if my friend was performing in a concert and I'd agreed to go but on the night I didn't want to go, I'd still go because the long term effects of not going would be worse than doing the thing I didn't really want to do). Most of the time though, I'd be true to myself.

Would you rather have someone tell you why something is the way it is or tell you how to do get something done?

I doubt I'd be listening either way. If they told me the 'why' I'd say 'I don't care why it works as long as it works' and if they told me the how, none of it would go in until I'd actually done the thing and experienced it myself.

If someone tells you a story, are you more likely to focus only on what happens or relate it to something you’re familiar with?

Something I'm familiar with. I do that a lot! Sometimes I think it makes me seem self centered when someone tells me something they did and I say about when I did something similar but it's just my way of relating to people by understanding what they're experiencing. For example if my friend was going through a breakup, I have to be really careful because I'll start talking about a breakup I had that was similar. I'm not trying to get one up on them, it's my way of showing I know what they're feeling so they're not alone but I'm aware it might mot come across like that.

Which would be easier for you to reply to and why? 1. Tell me a lot of different things that could happen in X situation! 2. Tell what’s going to happen in X situation

Tell you lots of different things! I'm great and coming up with possibilities, like with my future and thinking about careers (which I'm always pressured to think about as a uni student). For me I naturally think 'I'm getting this degree which means I can do this, this and this which can lead to that, that and that' rather than saying 'I'm getting this degree which combined with these experiences and interests leads me to conclude my chosen career path should be whatever'.