• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ or ISTP?

GeorgeCheck

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi all,

I am reaching out to the forum as I am facing some difficulty in determining my MBTI type, i think i may be in denial more than anything. I have taken several online tests, even paid for one hoping it offer greater accuracy, though the site was presented with a higher degree of quality, i suspect the way the test was derived was not too dissimilar to the other tests i took for free.

I must mention that I have tested as INTJ on all occasions except one, where the result was ISTJ. Collectively, i must have done over a dozen tests albeit all online.

I have studied the cognitive functions, i resonate very strongly with Ni. I get "lightning strike" moments frequently, I experience these when i detach myself from trying to solve a problem via mechanical deduction which is taxing in my mind and just letting my subconscious deal with it. They don't happen all the time but when they do, i know its Ni - but this is one of the reasons why I suspect I may be an ISTP - due to the infrequency. Given these moments don't happen often, perhaps it is really the tertiary function of the ISTP personality coming through?

About me:

I love to learn, my mode of operation is permanently dialed into self improvement. I have 50 udemy courses i have bought and I am actively chipping away at two per month while learning about chemistry and physics for fun as i nod off to sleep.

My emotions are intense, if i see beauty it feels intense, i get teary eyed, and often it happens in places where i don't want others to see, so there i am drawing something on the computer at work getting teary eyed from thoughts spinning around in my head. If i listen to music and I really enjoy it, i feel it deeply, its like jumping off a 100ft cliff and pin dropping into the water as far as I can go and just being in that feeling - if that makes sense. My family describe me as intense, weird, socially awkward, antisocial, and intelligent.

I studied engineering at University. Though I am qualified as an engineer, i refuse to allow that to define who i am. I had a hard time learning in classroom environments. since high school, the vast majority of the skills I have are self taught, either through teaching myself with books or Youtube. I find the mainstream approach to be inefficient, and I quickly switch off and zone out of reality in classroom settings unless the subject is extremely compelling or presented in an acceptable manner (rarely).

I taught myself how to code. It started with VBA in Microsoft Excel, because i needed to find a way to save time in my day by drastically reducing repetitive administrative tasks. It evolved from there to Javascript, MySQL, CSS, HTML, PHP, C#, some Python. I can now create websites, which in this day in age is becoming less impressive, but the main takeaway is that I have essentially taught myself the skillset to change career paths if i feel like it. I learned these skills as a matter of necessity as I am currently working on developing a project management system to help address a deficiency in my current industry.

I need to have a problem in my mind I would like to or am actively pursuing to solve, otherwise the processing part of my brain doesn't grant access to the storage section to store skills.

Due to my background in engineering, i have a good first principle understanding of how mechanical and electrical things work - I don't really enjoy taking things apart - its far easier for me to see it working in abstract form unless i really have to. Most items are iterations of the same underlying theme, generally I can visualize how it works , and often i need to be able to see a mechanism or an object working in my mind before I can file away the concept. I said this once to some of my class mates at Uni, they thought that was weird.

I find that I cannot simply be fed information for the sake of it, as my mind refuses to file it away unless I can understand the underlying theory behind it, I need to know "why" - i need the whole picture. I have a hard time remembering subjects one tidbit at a time - because of this i think my learning style is quite messy.

Working autonomously is best for me, having the freedom to chart my own course so to speak. If I arrive in a work environment that is unstructured, i will create a vision of what it needs to be and systematically will build systems one module at a time until they all work harmoniously to solve the bigger picture. I simply wont work under poor management. I essentially lost my last job because of this, i called my boss short-sighted, that and I think he felt threatened by me - though that might be my ego talking as I have no evidence to back that up.

I frequently predict how situations will pan out based on previous events, merged with current events, via extrapolation - often I am right. I often get these predictions through "lighting strikes". Sometimes I can also be wrong. Case in point, i knew i was going to get fired from my last job. Middle management position. I wasn't fired due to non performance or breaking any company rules, i had a stellar record. I was extremely devoted to the job as i had carved out my own vision I wanted to achieve, which superseded any semblance of a vision the upper management had. I was basically ask to resign as there was "re-structuring" - read between the lines. Long story short, i knew this was going to happen, weeks before the event as there were slight changes in my manager's behaviour towards me, i could read him like a textbook not so much via external cues i could confirm within the specific moment, but i picked this up through something complex i just knew was right, like a hunch - which now in retrospect as i type this out must have been Ni in action. I had already removed all of the personal documents and shut down all the systems i had created to run my department and was working out of a removable USB drive- long enough to ensure the server didn't have a back up of my PC- i didn't want to leave any of my files behind for those bastards to benefit. I took the USB drive with me the day i was asked to leave.

I am decisive, i don't like to dance around too much in conversation, if someone says something to me once, I don't need to be told again. It becomes a repeating pattern, and this type of repeating pattern is annoying, I perceive it as inefficient. Though I am decisive, I am also open to suggestion, if you have a opinion that has sound logic behind it, if your logic is better than mine, I may adopt your opinion.

The superficiality of society is obvious to me, i frequently observe people when out in public, its how i make shopping for groceries bearable while my wife shops without a list - something i intrinsically detest but accept as i love my wife and am willing to work a around it in the name of seeing the bigger picture.

Right now In my life, I am going through a period of analyzing and undoing and discarding all of the superficial, plastic, erroneously aligned beliefs I picked up during my formative years. I must mention that I had a very perturbed upbringing in sense that my parents were very lost as individuals and as a result of this created a situation that was not supportive. My Father had a serious alcohol problem (ESTJ), and hammered me for not fitting into his ideal mold. I was walking on egg shells all day everyday.

I see myself as mechanically minded in a sense that I can see how something works in my mind. I am terrible at the hands on approach, i generally make a mess of things, but If i need to take something apart as a means of accomplishing an objective, i can do it. One example i can think of was also back during my university days, as a poor student, i had a Twin turbo Lexus, the turbos died, and i didn't have money to take it to a mechanic, so I bought second hand turbos online, took good photos of how the turbos and relevant exhaust, oil, and intercooler piping went together and went all or nothing to fix my car - that is the one and only occasion I have ever taken apart something mechanical on a car. As a student, I must also mention that I repaired broken lawnmowers and sold them for much more money online, though these were not hardcore repairs, more things like new pull cords, repainting bodies, new wheels etc again, not an expert only undertaking problems i knew were within my sphere of understanding- learning how to do it as i went along.

I am extremely open minded. I married to a devout Muslim, whom i met during my time working in the Middle East a few years back. I am not religious, even though i do not prescribe to any religion, and do not believe as God being an all encompassing universal deity somewhere overseeing all departmental operations in our universe, i do believe there is an absolute fundamental truth to everything in this universe, and that to me is god, and all other 4200 religions in this world are simply a primitive way of conveying that while using a derived system of beliefs that appeal to the primary needs of human nature as an underlying tool to control large populations who choose not to question.

Details are hard for me, I have an eye for detail but its learned behaviour, i see it as a skill in my repertoire. It doesn't come naturally to me, I liken it to wringing the last bit of water out of rag which is being used while cleaning a car, though I will get much better results, if i wring that last but, it takes considerable more effort to harness my metal faculties to do it, I generally do a quick cost benefit analysis to determine if it better to conserve my energy and save the details for a latter time when energy levels are higher. Conversely, I become energized by ideas, new ideas, working on my ideas, and seeing ideas that i have conceived, moving forward or coming to fruition. The problem i have right now is i have too many personal projects on the go, but without them, or a plan, my life would fall into depression.

I am the kind of person that will sacrifice or delay all gratification now, for a better tomorrow. The problem i have with this is that it is generally an infinite loop that i need to consciously break myself out of as i know it is likely a better choice to get out of the house and be in the world sometimes, even though my head is always thinking about something else rather than living in the present moment - I am extremely introverted.

Ti is extremely logical from what I have read, and Ti also resonates with me, which is another reason why I suspect I may also be ISTP, but I have met INTPs and ISTPs, in fact my current manager is an INTP and i find that we will often reach the same idea conclusion but its like they have open every single door in the hallway to figure it out, when I just knew the door, and made an executive decision to just go and open it. I find that i am very quick to grasp the concept or general gist of things as my mind quickly cobbles together a concept of what it should be based on past experiences, i hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I am wafting, do let me know your opinions, there will be some true INTJs and ISTPs out there and they will likely be able to give me further insight - I look forward to it, as closure on this will allow me to work on myself further

Thanks in advance

George

ryecatcher5

hey! you definitely seem like an INTJ to me. i'm an intuitive type and a lot of what you described about the detail (and you needing a grasp of underlying concepts to understand how things work, your focus on the abstract and the reading-in-between-the lines) are things i experience as well, and things i believe to be the hallmarks of an N type. you also seem quite structured and you appear to need at least some concrete in your day-to-day doings (needing structure in the workplace; needing a list to go grocery shopping– the fact that you dislike it when your wife shops without one means you prefer to have things laid out beforehand, whereas she is probably more flexible and shops more on a whim?) would be the traits of a judging type.

GeorgeCheck

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi ryecatcher5,

Thanks for your reply. Are you typed as an INTJ yourself? If so, how are you aware of your Ni? From the way i understand it, because INTJs lead with Ni it is difficult for them to pick it out, it would be like asking a goldfish to show you water so to speak. This is one of the reasons I am still seeking deeper understanding and suspecting I may be ISTP, I can confirm with certainty that I have no issue getting insights, generally they will come to me while driving the car, in the shower etc, and over time i have learned to trust them. I grew up with sensing parents, and as mentioned earlier there was a very specific mold one had to fit into to survive in their household, this made me doubt my insights and behave as a totally different person when i was younger. Given the insights don't happen all the time, perhaps I am an ISTP with well developed Ni? I read that these two types often get confused, so perhaps my case is the same? I do not fit into the stereotypical mold of an ISTP, and do resonate more with the stereotype of the INTJ, but you and I both know its about the cognitive functions more than anything else.

Cheers

George

helbert

MBTI Type
INTJ
You're definitely an INTJ.

My brother is ISTP and while we are both extremely rational and level-headed, he makes me furious with his sloth-level slowness, indecisiveness, and complacency. He also would never cry over nature like I do.

From your paragraph you seem pretty textbook INTJ to me.