• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Another type Legion thread - INFJ or INTP (or...)?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
So I've been having this dilemma for a while of whether I'm truly an INFJ or if I'm actually INTP.

So I think I'm INFJ because:
- analysing myself by the INFJ function order just makes sense to me
- when I note that someone is similar to myself, from my perspective, they are generally INFJ or ISFJ
- certain test scores are very strongly in favour of INFJ

But I could be INTP because:
- several people have mentioned that they think I am an INTP
- I'm quite restricted in my emotional expressiveness, so the function order fits here as well
- I probably fit better into the rationalist category than the idealist

It's at that stage where I've learnt too many contradictory things, and I based too much of my understanding on ideas I've come up with myself which I could very well be delusional about.

I'll probably never know for sure, but it's important for whatever reason to know why this conflict is occurring and to resolve it. Is my self-image way off?

Rouskyrie

So I've been having this dilemma for a while of whether I'm truly an INFJ or if I'm actually INTP.

- when I note that someone is similar to myself, from my perspective, they are generally INFJ or ISFJ

- I'm quite restricted in my emotional expressiveness, so the function order fits here as well

It's at that stage where I've learnt too many contradictory things, and I based too much of my understanding on ideas I've come up with myself which I could very well be delusional about.

I'll probably never know for sure, but it's important for whatever reason to know why this conflict is occurring and to resolve it. Is my self-image way off?

Frankly, based on what I've seen of your posts and our conversations, I would say INFJ. I've always had the impression that you have strong Ni and Ti, so I'd consider ISTP before INTP.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

If your conflict is of yourself and identifying your own thought processes, removed of any typing system, then asking others to help fit you into a system will help you no more. If your conflict however, lies in not fully understanding a typing system, that IS something a typology forum can help you with. I always first suggest to people when finding their type, is that they first understand themselves before they try and see where a system applies to them. Especially if seeking how others see them, that will only add so much more confusion to things. And remember, you are trying to see where a system fits to you in the end, not the other way around. At best, a system will have to contort some to fit you, you should never have to contort yourself to fit some theory.

Personality systems can only contain so much of the human experience. Beyond that is where our individuality and differences, aka discrepancies between others that share our typing, take place.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If your conflict is of yourself and identifying your own thought processes, removed of any typing system, then asking others to help fit you into a system will help you no more. If your conflict however, lies in not fully understanding a typing system, that IS something a typology forum can help you with. I always first suggest to people when finding their type, is that they first understand themselves before they try and see where a system applies to them. Especially if seeking how others see them, that will only add so much more confusion to things. And remember, you are trying to see where a system fits to you in the end, not the other way around. At best, a system will have to contort some to fit you, you should never have to contort yourself to fit some theory.

Personality systems can only contain so much of the human experience. Beyond that is where our individuality and differences, aka discrepancies between others that share our typing, take place.

It's a bit of both. The thing is that I'm trying to develop my typing methods, and they seem to really be developing nicely, but if it turns out that I'm not an INFJ, then all that I'm seeing mustn't truly be there because I'm my primary test subject for analysis. Obviously I know myself and the system fairly well, but I'm not confident enough in it yet to really commit to what I'm trying to do, so it's a bit difficult at the moment. So some reassurance that I don't have everything wrong will be nice haha

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Update: I now know that I'm INFJ because I can see it... I can observe what function I'm using a lot of the time, and while I do have alternate modes, as does everyone, the INFJ is the primary one.

Other modes I've identified so far:
- ESTJ
- INFP
- INTP
- ISFJ

Butze

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've been doubting my INFJness too, wondering if I could have been INFP and I did it by analyzing the functions. I've been observing myself and my writing, comments on threads also on other forums etc and now I can clearly see Ni and Ti, and my Se inferior is pretty clear too. Also, Fe is there even if I hate it at times, so I've seen the functions at work, I am not at doubt about myself anymore. I don't see any Ne in me (I can tend to a version of Ne when very in stress but it is just not me) and yeah, I can see some Fi-like behaviour but Fi dom... no way, my Fe does not agree. And my Ti is very very strong, too.