• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ or INFJ?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to type as INFJ. It was pointed out too many times that I react very quickly and that is unusual for INFJs.

This post was very helpful for me. [ENFJ] Recognizing the Inferior Function in ENFJs It is part of the book, Was That Really Me? by Naomi Quenk, who wrote official MBTI manuals for many years and used their data in this work.

Basically, when EXFJs are under severe stress, they get hypercritical of themselves. INXJs go do frivolous shopping and indulge in pleasure activities, the riskier the better.

It helped me see the difference. Also, my oldest sister is an INFJ. In talking about how we think, it is very similar. I see the main difference is she is much slower at thinking, but far deeper. I have a much broader set of interests, she has a very narrow one.

Due to various things in my childhood, I thought I was very introverted. Except I was the most vocal student from preschool to grad school. I have been the one to cruise around the office getting to know everyone. I organize activities with little effort. I take charge in absence of organization. In short, I was just unaware of who I really was.

I don't know if you are an E rather than an I. It really doesn't matter much, except to better understand yourself. For me, it was liberating.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Wow! Sensory overload! I'm an INFJ and I'm just getting into a deeper understanding of "me". What great personal insight! I couldn't have found all this without a thousand of logged Goggle hours.

Blacksheep2017

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I’ve been doing a lot of research over the last couple days into the 8 functions of INFJ. I have definitely been able to solidify that my type is INFJ.

My dominate function is absolutely Ni. I have often self described my ability to read people & predict certain scenarios as my “God-given gift”. It is at the core of my personality and what I lean on the most in my everyday navigation through life. I’m a vivid dreamer and actually have a journal of lengthy documented dreams that I will go over and analyze in order to try to understand what messages my subconscious is trying to relay that my conscious mind is missing. I’ve been pretty successful in this and it’s really fun for me to try to solve the puzzle and then finally understand how my dreams relate to my reality.

My auxiliary function of Fe is very accurate still. I think I do get mistaken as an attempted extrovert because in large group settings, I try to maintain a cheery appearance and engaging in order to cultivate good feelings. But I am usually not comfortable socializing amongst a group and this leaves me feeling like I’m not being truly authentic. My husband says I could be an actor with how well I turn certain social behaviors on and off. With the people closest to me, I express more of my grievances in private and take on a more negative tone. Even the victim or self pity role. But I find a lot of relief in expressing my feelings. I think because I lack supportive companionship (outside of my husband) I feel isolated and therefore depressed. I give a lot of myself to others and spend very little time on myself. I think this is creating an unhealthy cycle because I often assume that my outreach to others will garner me meaningful friendships and support systems in exchange, but it rarely does. Because my Fe is so strong and I want to maintain harmony in relationships, I have a difficult time saying no to things and then I end up internally regretting it later. I fight a lot of internal battles on whether or not I’m abandoning my Ni for the sake of pleasing others with Fe.

Now, with my Ti - this is where I feel like confusion comes into play. My husband has tested as an ISTJ before but recently when I started my journey back into personality psychology, he too retook the test and got ISTP. Obviously, that would make Ti his dominate function. I believe that is pretty fitting for him and because of his Ti and Se strengths, this has caused me (in a people pleasing manner) to maybe strengthen those functions for myself because I have tried adapting to his way of thinking in order to maintain harmony in our relationship. Tell me if you believe I’m wrong here - but some of the issues that have caused turmoil in our relationship is his lack of giving. Naturally, I enjoy being generous. Sometimes I probably am too generous, I can agree with him on that, but he believes that he should not HAVE to give anything to anyone, because no one has GIVEN to him. He feels like he needs to be compensated for his time and knowledge and he has pushed this mentality on me. Therefore, I think maybe I’ve been leaning more on my Ti and Se functions in an attempt to be on the same level as him and those are not naturally dominate functions to my personality therefore creating a lot of confusion about who I truly am. I think I need more balance here.

I was reading that because INFJs are perfectionistic of themselves that our Fe allows us to more easily forgive the shortcomings of others but not allow ourselves the same grace because “we know better”. I believe this is me to a T. I do not allow myself any grace. I believe I have been living too in my shadow functions. Making my existence very troubled right now. I think my Opposing Role function (Ne) is causing me to lash out and become angry due to certain stressors. I think I have a heightened Fi maybe due to the maternal narcissism I experienced as a child. Constantly critical of myself, not able to achieve enough success and constantly doubting my worthiness. I think when I have become exhausted or burnt out with Fe, I unknowingly allow Fi to take control. This becomes destructive for me because I can then project my own criticisms onto others. Like with my husband. If he doesn’t meet my standards for doing something a certain way, I will verbally berate him and then suffer regret and shame from acting so poorly. This is where I felt my controlling and brash communicative nature was taking charge in my personality.

My demon function is really showing it’s ugly head too. I am always negatively reflecting on the past and revisiting scenarios in my head that I wish I would have handled differently. I fixate a lot on my childhood and my mother. I believe I’ve not been practicing good control of my primary functions and have allowed these shadow functions to have too much influence.

I am so incredibly thankful for finding this forum and learning that there is more to our personality makeup than just the surface traits of a MBTI personality label. Understanding the cognitive functions will allow me to start to recover from my own confusion and criticism. I am going to be focusing on strengthening my primary functions and I feel optimistic and happy about essentially taking off this heavy coat of deception and living the most authentic version of myself I can be.

Starry

Holy shit...you're good.
I actually went back to the same site where I took this test the first time (similarminds.com) and decided to redo it. Just because so many people mentioned e8 being weird, I wanted to see how similar my results would be if I took it again. I know that 50% of people who retake MBTI are likely to get another result the 2nd time. So...this was the result I got this time:

Type 1 Orderliness |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||||||| 82%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 4 Individualism |||||||||||||||| 62%
Type 5 Intellectualism |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 6 Security Focus |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||| 34%

Your main type is Type 2
Your variant stacking is so/sp/sx

So, it was pretty much the same result, but the 2 and the 8 flipped, as you suggested it should! I applaud your analysis! Now, since I'm new to this - I'm going to dive deeper into the wings. I read both 1 and 3 and I agree that 1 is definitely my stronger wing. You also felt that the variant stacking made sense and again, I got the same one. So I'm going to close the book on that one for now. Thank you so so so very much!

I'm just quoting this to call as much attention to it as I possibly can. In fact, I may quote it tomorrow too...and the next day... :wink:

Starry

Feel like hazarding an attempt to explain why?

(I won't be home for at least several days, so I don't have my enneagram books handy, and even if I did it would require, like, spending half a day looking through them and formulating an answer. I just kinda *know* it, from previously have read about it and having formed the opinion (e8 being my 'point of integration'), but can't recall the details off the top of my head. If you can't do it off the top of your head either, then nevermind, obvs. :D )

It sucks because...okay...an explanation keeps coming into my mind...and then leaving again. I can't hold onto it. This shouldn't be this challenging? I'm wondering if I'm blocking it because on some level I'm worried about sounding offensive to INFJs or something? idk is there something like that do you think...like "NO way could an INFJ be an e8" you know?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
My impression was Si dominant, due to frequently speaking of the past.

For the auxiliary, my guess is Fe. (there are several things I could quote that point to Fe)

i.e. ISFJ

Do note that an ISFJ can have N characteristics not explained by inferior Ne.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It sucks because...okay...an explanation keeps coming into my mind...and then leaving again. I can't hold onto it. This shouldn't be this challenging? I'm wondering if I'm blocking it because on some level I'm worried about sounding offensive to INFJs or something? idk is there something like that do you think...like "NO way could an INFJ be an e8" you know?

I'd give you the go-ahead, about possibly sounding offensive to INFJs, but I can only speak for myself.

I keep trying to type out even one sentence about it, and I"m just not getting there.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ Go for it, [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION].

The thing about this, it's just that we'd have to petition the INFJs and get a 95% go-ahead. (Suffice it to say, there's forum history involved. eta: Not with Starry, but the forum at large.)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
The thing about this, it's just that we'd have to petition the INFJs and get a 95% go-ahead. (Suffice it to say, there's forum history involved. eta: Not with Starry, but the forum at large.)

I think that's silly. I don't think others should have to tiptoe just to avoid offending sensitive types. Just word it considerately and don't be an a-hole, ya know?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that's silly. I don't think others should have to tiptoe just to avoid offending sensitive types. Just word it considerately and don't be an a-hole, ya know?
Or, [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION], if this is a concern, feel free to PM since it was my original question, though others might be interested in your thoughts as well.

Starry

I just switched to my phone to try and finish a different post and noticed that my phone is dying too wth? It's because I'm trying to avoid yard work damn you yard work messing with my electronics.

I'll come back to this's too now but will quickly say that as a culture I think we place such a high value on the Challenger. That sort of dominant, lone don't-fuck-with-me wolf gets immediate respect...and we are all supposed to be aspiring to that degree of rugged individualism so... yah.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You'd think. But the bolded is relative. And anyway, I wasn't saying that's the way it should be, I'm just explaining- forum history being what it is- anyone who's been here a few years would likely be reticent. :)

Although I imagine the sounds-like-criticism she might have on this particular matter wouldn't be contested. It's probably in the ballpark of how squirelly/avoidant INFJs are, and how absolutely un-e8 like our insticts are when we're angry. Or something.

eta: Although it's worth adding that sometimes e6 counterphobic INFJs can act out immediately. And that's actually what my first impression of the OP poster was, because counterphobic 6 can easily be mistaken for e8. I have a hard time imagining an e2 getting mistaken for an e8, because the ego-identity for those types is so different. But anyway. (Since I haven't actually SEEN what the OP poster looks like when getting pushy, I have no strong opinion.)

More eta, from Ocean Moonshine. I suspect having both 6 and 2 in the tri-type means at least a little of both will be present.

Two:Twos can be quite bossy and could conceivably mistype as Eight. But Twos are far more emotionally vulnerable than is the much tougher Eight and Twos only resort to bossiness under stress and when less direct methods fail to produce the desired results. Twos are far more likely to engage in manipulative behavior than are Eights who are up front about where they stand and what they want.

Six: Counterphobic Sixes can resemble Eights; both types can be quite aggressive and even dominating. Usually the Six’s inner doubt, anxiety and reactivity will betray itself however; the conterphobic presentation therefore differs from the more strategic aggression of type Eight. In general, counterphobic Sixes are more volatile and less predictable than Eights. Eights are more grounded than counterphobic Sixes.