• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP/ISFP

wolfy

awsm
Lately I've been wondering about whether I might be ISFP :shock: Jeffster, Mo, Sarah or anybody else can you ask me a couple of questions to help me sort it out please.:hi:

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Lately I've been wondering about whether I might be ISFP :shock: Jeffster, Mo, Sarah or anybody else can you ask me a couple of questions to help me sort it out please.:hi:

ISTPs are detatched analyzers of situations, and they feel happiest in situations that allow them to be that way. ISFPs find it hard to be detached -- they feel uncomfortable outside situations that don't match their inner values.

Do you prefer to make objective decisions or subjective ones? Cognitive processes theory says that ISFPs are dominant Introverted Feeling, and ISTPs are dominant introverted Thinking...

Introverted Feeling (taken from the Berens' website on cognitive processes):

It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, “Sometimes, some things just have to be said.” On the other hand, most of the time this process works “in private” and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.

Introverted Thinking

Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed.

It's easy to confuse the two because both types feel they're relying on internal principles to guide their decisions, and they're right -- they are! But you have to look at whether or not you prefer being objective and detatched or subjective and emotionally energized. I find it noticeable that the ISTPs I know in person think they're good at making value judgments, but really the judgments they make are based on their society's values, not things they've decided are of ultimate importance. Likewise, it's easy for me to think I ought to be good at objective analysis because I'm an adult and I'm not stupid, and yet I don't really have the capacity to be very objective in the first place -- and find situations in which I have to detatch myself from my beliefs pretty scary.

How well can you answer this: What ideas/beliefs would you label as being of ultimate importance?

If none of that helps, compare the descriptions on Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type

ISFP
vs
ISTP

Hope this helps.. :)

Sarah
ISFP

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm ISFP and I'm pretty sure my brother is ISTP, so I might be able to help.

Do you like taking things apart to see how they work?

How are you with remembering details/dates?

If you create/build something are you going to make something that is useful or something that looks good?

What are your interests and what do you value?

wolfy

awsm
I'm ISFP and I'm pretty sure my brother is ISTP, so I might be able to help.

Do you like taking things apart to see how they work?

How are you with remembering details/dates?

If you create/build something are you going to make something that is useful or something that looks good?

What are your interests and what do you value?

I am terrible with dates and time spans. I can't tell you how long I have been working somewhere or when I started.

I can remember details like what people like what there interests are etc. But I often can't remember their name.:blush:
I work as a gym trainer and I can remember lots of details there. Hundreds of exercises and variations.

I like to take things apart. I'm maybe not so good at putting them together again.
I think useful things look good. And things that look good tend to be easy to use. Useful wins buy a nose I suppose.

My interests are family, weight training, psychology especially personality and creativity, personal growth.

When I build something I am looking for a reaction to have an impact on the other person, as an example I can remember as a kid for years trying to choose a movie to have my Mum in fits of laughter. I only did it once with Vacation. That's not really building something but you get the picture.

Thanks for helping:D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Step Brothers. Are you more like Brennan or Dale?

wolfy

awsm
How well can you answer this: What ideas/beliefs would you label as being of ultimate importance?

ISFP

I would find that question very hard to answer. Almost impossible. Here is what sprung to mind,

Man has a right to be free
Where there is no victim there is no crime
Love is the answer ( I feel like a hippy typing that) :blush:
Man is a creative being

I have done a lot of study of the cognitive processes lately and what confuses me on Fi and Ti is they are both internal, I don't really know how detached I am. Emotionally charged? Yeah I don't show it much though. But I am pretty emotionally charged I guess.

What does it look like to be objective or subjective?

Thanks

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I am terrible with dates and time spans. I can't tell you how long I have been working somewhere or when I started.

I can remember details like what people like what there interests are etc. But I often can't remember their name.:blush:
I work as a gym trainer and I can remember lots of details there. Hundreds of exercises and variations.

I can relate to not remembering names, I'm terrible at that. Remembering the exercises and variations sounds like good use of Si though.

I like to take things apart. I'm maybe not so good at putting them together again.
Apparently enjoying that is a good indicator of Si, I would generally only take something apart to try and fix it not see how it works.

I think useful things look good. And things that look good tend to be easy to use. Useful wins buy a nose I suppose.
I think an ISFP might have a slight preference for looks but as you say it's a close one for you.

My interests are family, weight training, psychology especially personality and creativity, personal growth.

Sounds like Fi! I can see why you aren't sure...

When I build something I am looking for a reaction to have an impact on the other person, as an example I can remember as a kid for years trying to choose a movie to have my Mum in fits of laughter. I only did it once with Vacation. That's not really building something but you get the picture.

That sounds very ISFP to me.

ISFP
You might say I’m a perfectionist. I want people to be impressed with my performance. I don’t want anyone to be unhappy with my performance so I continue to perform, and that is kind of a driving force.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Man has a right to be free
Where there is no victim there is no crime
Love is the answer ( I feel like a hippy typing that) :blush:
Man is a creative being
I have 2 ISTPs in my family, and I can't imagine either one of them saying this... or writing it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Thinkin' ISFP. If you weren't sure of I, I'd have said xSFP?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
My brother(istp) wouldn't either, but I would. :yes:

Perhaps that helps.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I haven't seen the movie. First I heard of it. From the trailer and sypnosis Brennan maybe. Looks like a fun movie.

Brennan = ISFP
Dale = ISTP

They're a lot alike, but Brennan's feelings are hurt more easily, Dale is a little more proactive and more logical.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
What are you talkin about? You were getting pretty hyped up on that muscle car thread.:holy:
EASY BUDDY. Just chill out, dude.

(I'm not serious, for the record, but I do an OK job pretending)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Quit picking on the Clash fans! *kicks your shin*

Joe is my hero :)